What's new

Second Santa Cruz medical pot shop on tap

mars2112

always hopeful yet discontent
Veteran

By SHANNA McCORD
Santa Cruz Sentinel

SANTA CRUZ — The city is likely to land a second medical pot shop soon, and medical marijuana supporters say the addition will benefit thousands of county users through greater access, better prices and higher quality.

K.E. Sampson, a Corralitos resident and medical marijuana patient of five years, has submitted an application to turn an empty two-story office building on Limekiln Street into The Santa Cruz Patient Collective in the city's Harvey West industrial area.

Sampson said he plans to run the collective like Greenway Compassionate Relief Inc., the city's first medical marijuana dispensary, which opened on DuBois Street in September.

"Healthy competition will ensure the best prices as well as the best quality," Sampson, 44, said. "My forte will be providing the highest quality of organic marijuana I can come across."

With an estimated 3,000 medical marijuana patients in Santa Cruz County and few outlets to access the drug legally, proponents say two dispensaries within blocks of each other will keep users from having to drive to San Francisco and Oakland to buy the drug.

The city, with a national reputation of looking kindly on marijuana use, has allowed medical marijuana dispensaries since 2001. However, strict rules surrounding location and unwilling landlords have kept such businesses from starting.

City rules for medical pot shops forbid use of the drug on the property, require a doctor's note or county-issued medical marijuana card to purchase the drug and mandate on-site security guards. No such business can be within 600 feet of a park or school.

Greenway owner Lisa Molyneux worked with the city for more than a year before obtaining the special-use permits necessary to open. Since opening, Greenway has drawn "not one complaint" from the public or police, city planner Mike Ferry said.

Molyneux said Greenway employs 12 people and has a database of about 2,500 medical marijuana patients. The dispensary, she said, continues to grow every day, including clients from outside the county.

"If the city approves Sampson's application," Molyneux said, "it'll be a benefit to the movement more than anything else."

Sampson, who previously owned a trucking company in Watsonville, said he suffered a head injury 12 years ago that left him in a coma for three months and led to his use of the drug. Sampson said he slipped while trying to avoid a deep mud puddle, fell back and struck his head on a step of the truck.

"They found me floating face up a couple hours later," he said.

It took years to regain his ability to walk and talk normally again, he said.

"Ironically, I didn't gain much of anything until I found medical marijuana," Sampson said. "It alleviated my migraines and allowed my body to start working again."

While state voters approved the use of marijuana for medical reasons by passing Proposition 215 in 1996, federal authorities have made it clear that U.S. drug laws prohibiting possession, distribution and use of marijuana will be enforced regardless of California law.

Marijuana critics say there is no medicinal benefits from the drug, and its harmful effects are often under-represented.

Ferry said he expects the city Planning Commission to hear Sampson's medical marijuana dispensary plans at its April 6 meeting. Planning staff, he said, will likely recommend approval.

No City Council approval is necessary, he said.

Yes, more good news finally.

With George W's Christian Taliban running wild, It's nice to see Santa Cruz doing this!

Another great post Mars!

M.S.

mars2112

Veteran
submitted an application to turn an empty two-story office building on Limekiln Street into The Santa Cruz Patient Collective in the city's Harvey West industrial area.

i saw this spot, it is excellent for a dispensary. this is going to be a nice place. more than just dispensing meds, it will be a resource center for patients. can't wait for them to open.

LEGI0N

I love the ACRC but I hate the area.. I'd rather go to SC. Just hope they have good hours.

rsteeb

Second S.C. pot shop stalled by appeals

mars2112 said:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2006/May/04/local/stories/02local.htm

May 4, 2006

By SHANNA McCORD
Sentinel staff writer

SANTA CRUZ — Concerns about adequate parking, lighting and litter removal have brought a halt to the opening of the medical marijuana dispensary unanimously approved by the city Planning Commission last month.

Two appeals of the Harvey West neighborhood shop will hold up the project until at least June when a public hearing by the City Council can be scheduled.

The council will decide whether to allow K.E. Sampson, a Corralitos resident and medical marijuana patient, to go ahead with plans to turn an empty office building on Limekiln Street into The Santa Cruz Patient Collective.

"I don't see their arguments as sound," Sampson said Wednesday of the appeals. "but I still respect them and plan to work to settle this."

The Santa Cruz Patient Collective would be the city's second such medical marijuana shop. Greenway Compassion Inc. was started on Dubois Street, also in the Harvey West area, in September by Lisa Molyneux of Boulder Creek.

Molyneux faced almost no community opposition when planning her business.

But Nancy Anecito and Dr. Josee Belanger, both of Fern Street near Sampson's proposed dispensary, filed appeals Monday with the Planning Department that raise concerns about his proposed medical marijuana outlet.

Belanger cited parking and safety issues for the people who would be using the medical marijuana shop in her appeal letter.

"For such a facility, most of the parking offered must be adjacent to the building," wrote Belanger, who declined to be interviewed Wednesday. "It should hopefully offer more than one ADA adjacent parking spot for their patients."

Anecito's appeal letter faulted the Planning Commission for not taking "all circumstances into a broad enough consideration."

Anecito, who didn't return phone calls Wednesday, referenced the city municipal code that allows special-use permits for medical marijuana providers. In her letter, she said parking, adequate lighting, litter removal and the concentration of two medical marijuana outlets in one neighborhood are "items that have not satisfactorily been met."

City planner Mike Ferry said Sampson's proposed medical marijuana business includes 11 on-site parking spots, which is two more than the city requires.

The city permit also requires Sampson be responsible for picking up any litter and removing graffiti from the site, Ferry said.

The Santa Cruz Patient Collective would be subject to a six-month review by city officials to address any troubles or community concerns.

Greenway Compassion Inc. went through the review last month.

"They're doing fine," Ferry said. "There's no call to change their operations."

Sampson believes his business would improve the neighborhood, which is known for being a spot for homeless people to gather, in addition to helping the estimated 3,000 medical marijuana patients countywide access the drug.

"We're just an unknown," Sampson said. "I aim to be a great neighbor and I plan to make the area better. Not a little better, a lot better."

While state voters approved the use of marijuana for medical reasons by passing Proposition 215 in 1996, federal authorities have made it clear that U.S. drug laws prohibiting possession, distribution and use of marijuana will be enforced regardless of California law.

Marijuana critics say the drug has no medicinal benefits, and its harmful effects are often underrepresented.

Contact Shanna McCord at [email protected].

mars2112

Veteran
this is crazy! we were at this meeting when they unanymously approved the permit! every issue brought up in this article was addressed. i know exactly who nancy anecito is, she got up and spoke at the meeting making silly claims.. i talked to her during the break just to clarify some things and she totally jumped down my throat and told me "you are wrong dear" in a nasty tone i was pissed lol.. i stayed calm and civil and she's just ranting.. i walked away from her mid sentence.. anyway all the things they are bringing up now have been addressed, they haven't even given ken a chance yet...

Belanger cited parking and safety issues for the people who would be using the medical marijuana shop in her appeal letter.

let me get this straight.. you are filing this appeal on behalf of patients?? :confused:

LEGI0N

Yeah, that's silly..

Don't open any new stores.. because Santa Cruz isn't safe.. wait... every other store is ok BUT medical MJ..

Parking? Really? I've been to Greenway and few others in the bay area parking is not an issue.. ever. Most of the time I get to park right in front.

I think they 'she' is letting her imagination get carried away with this. Does she think they have a RAV in these places? People come.. buy.. and leave. 30 min is the most time I've ever spent in a shop and that was way back when you could smoke in the shop. Now, it's 10-15min max.

Litter? Are you kidding me? Again with the RAV thing..

Freaking people!! :p

mars2112

Veteran
Jun. 15, 2006

Santa Cruz to get second medical marijuana dispensary

SANTA CRUZ (AP) - The City Council denied two appeals aimed at preventing the city's second medical marijuana dispensary from opening.

Council members denied the appeals by a 6-1 vote Tuesday night.

K.E. Sampson, a Corralitos resident and medical marijuana patient, plans to turn an empty office building on Limekiln Street into The Santa Cruz Patient Collective.

Several neighbors and business owners said they were concerned about parking, lighting and litter removal, but most people in the overflow crowd at Tuesday-s meetings supported the project.

Sampson said the business will improve the neighborhood, where homeless people live, and provide access to the drug for the county's estimated 3,000 medical pot patients.

nice

hey dante
is it customary for any clubs to honor a 30 day grace period for expired reccos?
i heard maybe they did
i asked greenway, they said no way.
thanks
peace

SO SORRY! ITS WEDNESDAY!

SO SORRY! ITS WEDNESDAY!

We had to get all the ducks in a row folks, Wednesday it is!

Hope to see you all there!

G

Damn I wish I could really get up there wednesday........I rely on public transportation being on fixed income.........Some day I will get up there..........Good Luck on the new dispensary Dante :woohoo:

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Hey Dante can you PM me the address! I will try to make it that day. I have some free time :)