What's new

Running a CLS Passive Recovery?

bhogo

ah this makes sense now. every one in the area is out of dry ice unfortunately. that is the solution correct?

K

kimc_ext

Not having any luck getting oil, but oddly I got the butane to run through my column. When I cleaned the material it was sticky and there was oil all over the column sleeve. Did my tane turn to gas and just run through?

K

kimc_ext

Please describe your process?

Well to my dismay I tried with a pump but pushed too much liquid and blew out the G5. I am now attempting to run passive while I await my new CMEP OL. I had full recovery tank up high and collection down low. Pulled vacuum to -29Hg on collection and input line that is now at top of my MK III. I turned off input valve and opened recovery red knob to 1/4' input line. I hear tane moving and feel cold go into input especially when I shake the recovery tank. Pressure is now in collection tank that I have in dry ice. I shake the heck out of the collection pot and column to move tane and also the recovery tank. i dropped 9lbs in weight on recovery tank. After I shut off red knob and then input valve a few minutes later and remove input line while I drop to vacuum from cold in collection pot to about -12Hg, I then set recovery tank in dry ice and and collection pot in warm water. I connect my 3/8" recovery line on blue knob on recovery tank and recovery valve on MK III collection pot. After pressure builds and recovery tank freezes I open valves and recover virtually all of the tane. I didnt get any oil, when I dumped the collection tube it was saturated and the outside of the column froze during process. i was baffled, I have gotten some oil in all my failed attempts but this time something didnt happen right.

flatslabs

9lbs of butane on what size column? Running passive on a 1.5x36 you should only be running around 2 lbs through, you want it to go through the column and into the collection pot.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but If you are recovering while your column and whole system is chock full of butane, most of your oil is still in your material and column.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I turned off input valve and opened recovery red knob to 1/4' input line. I hear tane moving and feel cold go into input especially when I shake the recovery tank.

Pressure is now in collection tank that I have in dry ice. I shake the heck out of the collection pot and column to move tane and also the recovery tank. i dropped 9lbs in weight on recovery tank.

I think I track you except for questions above. What are you calling the input line, and is the recovery red knob the one on the tank?

If it is the red one on the tank, does it say vapor or liquid? The color code varies by brand.

Not sure how you put 9# through a Mk III. as the 6" X 6" collection pot holds less than 4#. Do you have a larger lower tank?

How are you weighing it? Any possibility of a decimal place error and you only moved .9#?

How long did it take to recover the 9#?

K

kimc_ext

Sorry for ambiguities. It is a Terpp MK III with a 12x6 collection pot and a 3"x18" with cones on each end considered to be a "1 lb" column. Yes the red knob on recovery is the liquid. I opened the tank with where I thought a pour off would happen and had about 1/2" of clear tane in the shatter platter.

K

kimc_ext

Also I had the liquid line from collection tank to top of column bypassed so I didnt move it that way. All i can figure is it ran a path through frozen material. I employed this methodology again to double check with new material and had success although I believe getting the head pressure on the tane prior to shooting didnt help my color.

K

kimc_ext

It may have been a little less than 9 lbs. I am weighing with a Mastercool refrigerant scale. It took about an hour to recover the tane.

flatslabs

Sorry for ambiguities. It is a Terpp MK III with a 12x6 collection pot and a 3"x18" with cones on each end considered to be a "1 lb" column. Yes the red knob on recovery is the liquid. I opened the tank with where I thought a pour off would happen and had about 1/2" of clear tane in the shatter platter.

a 12x6 collection pot will hold about 6.7lbs of butane, a 3x18 column will hold about 2.5 lbs. You should not be flooding a passive system with 9 lbs of butane when your collection pot cannot hold that much. Maybe try running about 4 lbs through your system before recovery.

Also I had the liquid line from collection tank to top of column bypassed so I didnt move it that way. All i can figure is it ran a path through frozen material. I employed this methodology again to double check with new material and had success although I believe getting the head pressure on the tane prior to shooting didnt help my color.

Are you pulling vacuum on your terp before injecting butane?

You say you have your liquid line bypassed, are you referring to the line running from the top of the column? You didn't specify that I see but you should be feeding your butane to the top of your column running passively, and you shouldn't need to shake your column or collection pot to get anything to flow.

K

kimc_ext

a 12x6 collection pot will hold about 6.7lbs of butane, a 3x18 column will hold about 2.5 lbs. You should not be flooding a passive system with 9 lbs of butane when your collection pot cannot hold that much. Maybe try running about 4 lbs through your system before recovery.

Ok. I did run less, approx 6.8 lbs the second time and it seemed to take a bit longer to recover. My initial numbers may have been in error.

Are you pulling vacuum on your terp before injecting butane?

You say you have your liquid line bypassed, are you referring to the line running from the top of the column? You didn't specify that I see but you should be feeding your butane to the top of your column running passively, and you shouldn't need to shake your column or collection pot to get anything to flow.

I do have my input feed at the top of the column.

I am pulling vacuum initial then also letting cold compress butane in collection pot that I have sitting in dry ice.

How long should 4lbs take to pass through column to collection pot?

logistixz

When running a CLS through passive recovery is all the butane 100% recoverable? I'd assume there would be a minimal loss each time correct?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When running a CLS through passive recovery is all the butane 100% recoverable? I'd assume there would be a minimal loss each time correct?

You lose one volume of butane vapor, plus what ever is soaked into the plant material.

K

kimc_ext

You lose one volume of butane vapor, plus what ever is soaked into the plant material.

If you let the column sit under cold created vacuum from the collection pot will it pull more of that out to be a relevant application?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you let the column sit under cold created vacuum from the collection pot will it pull more of that out to be a relevant application?

We see about -10 to 12" Hg using cold and if you heated the column and chilled the base, you would get more of it.

Latest posts

Latest posts