What's new

Running a CLS Passive Recovery?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was planning on running propane instead of butane, would that change anything?

got nothing against active recovery or recovery machines ,just trying to save a lil money but maybe thats the wrong thing to do.

and just to be sure the advantages off running at subzero would be inline dewaxing? or the ability to pull that cold purge muffin?

thanx for ur response man, just kinda confused bout all this. thinkn i should just cough up the 7 bills or watever for an appion

Never tried it. Passive recovery with propane would require recovery temperatures below -42C/-43.6F.
You could do that with an alcohol bath and dry ice.

hobb3s93

ok i think i see what u guys are talking about now. so propane has a lower boiling point than butane? thus i would need to keep it colder to reduce pressure and keep it liquid?

i think im sold on the recovery pump just because it seems like im gonna be doing alot of extra work to achieve the same results with out it.

what are the differences of recovering propane (instead of butane) with a rc pump?

is there a thread i can refer too as far as the cotton candy/cold purge muffin method?

thanx for all ur help guys , should be ordering cls within a week or two .

Lono

ok i think i see what u guys are talking about now. so propane has a lower boiling point than butane? thus i would need to keep it colder to reduce pressure and keep it liquid?

i think im sold on the recovery pump just because it seems like im gonna be doing alot of extra work to achieve the same results with out it.

what are the differences of recovering propane (instead of butane) with a rc pump?

is there a thread i can refer too as far as the cotton candy/cold purge muffin method?

thanx for all ur help guys , should be ordering cls within a week or two .

Check out the CPS-TR21 :). Needs a heat exchanger, but even then you're spending around the same as an appion.

If I remember correctly, to do the cotton candy/cold muffin purge, you need recover to -22"hg, pull a full vac on your collection pot, and hold it for 5-10 minutes. Not sure if you have to keep your hot water bath under 85* or not, but retaining carboxylic acid probably wouldn't hurt in having a nice stable muffin.

Chonkski

When its under a full vacuum you just toss the collection in the freezer for about 10 to 20.

It's all over in threads, try using google to find which pages. just cotton candy muffin terpenator for keywords

hammsoup

Never done it, but if I did, here is how I would try.

Take apart the column assembly and set the dump valve aside.

Set aside the vent tube.

Set the column directly on top of the tank flange, using a screened gasket, and place the injection tee on top of the column using a screened gasket.

Remove the compression fitting from the top endcap, and replace it with a 1/4" X close nipple, a 1/4" ball valve, and a 1/4" MNPT X 1/4" JIC fitting.

Set on refrigerant scale.

Attach a hose from your storage tank vapor line to the injection tee on top of the column.

Vacuum down the system to -29.9" Hg.

Turn the storage tank up side down and suspend higher than the Mk III.

Open the storage tank valve and the top ball valve to inject butane. Measure transfer using refrigerant scale.

Close top valve and set tank upright, lower than the injection tee, and let sit for a few minutes.

Close tank valve and disconnect hose, losing butane vapor in hose.

Connect hose to vacuum pump valve port on the Mk III, an set it in hot water.

Leave the other end connected to the recovery tank vapor valve, and set it in cold water.

Open both valves and go take a few dabs elsewhere while magic occurs.

Periodically remove the Terpenator from the hot water and weigh.

When the refrigeration scale tells you that the Terpenator now weighs the same as before starting, remove both tanks from the water and dry off.

Remove the hose and lose butane in hose.

You might be able to skip the hose switch and recover the butane from the top of the column at some loss of efficiency, but worth checking out.

Open the pot valve and equalize, blowing the remaining butane to atmosphere, and open. Do this step in a spark free, well ventilated location.

Harvest oil and further process to purge and formulate.
so with the regular 30 tank using it upside down from the vapor port lets the vacuum in the system draw the liquid butane out of the tank threw the material tube?

when i flip the tank up right and let it sit lower that the injection tee before i disconnect it what is the reason for that?

Do i Need to Re pull a vacuum on the tank before i recover from the pot?

Also could i use dry ice with the regular tank or is that a bad idea due to the not ss valves? i have a ss one on order it will just be a few weeks, i would like to try to run subzero and try subzero 0psi as well like brett mavrick.Really want to just try most peoples methods and see what works best from trail and error and maybe even combine peoples techs together

Chonkski

so with the regular 30 tank using it upside down from the vapor port lets the vacuum in the system draw the liquid butane out of the tank threw the material tube?

not just the negative/positive pressure but gravity as well

when i flip the tank up right and let it sit lower that the injection tee before i disconnect it what is the reason for that?

To simply ensure that any liquid butane will make its way back into the recovery tank before disconnecting

Do i Need to Re pull a vacuum on the tank before i recover from the pot?

No, there is already a vacuum where butane is not, if that makes sense. The butane displaces the vacuum. The heat you add to your collection is what makes recovery possible.

Also could i use dry ice with the regular tank or is that a bad idea due to the not ss valves? i have a ss one on order it will just be a few weeks, i would like to try to run subzero and try subzero 0psi as well like brett mavrick.Really want to just try most peoples methods and see what works best from trail and error and maybe even combine peoples techs together

not quite sure what kind of valves you're talking about, or if you should even be extracting using them in the first place?

My input

hammsoup

thanks for the Input Chonkski! you confirmed all my thoughts, getting my cls today so it will soon be time for my first cls run!

The Valves or ports i suppose are the ones on top of the regular #30 storage tank, they are brass so i was wondering if i should or should use dry ice around them

Chonkski

thanks for the Input Chonkski! you confirmed all my thoughts, getting my cls today so it will soon be time for my first cls run!

The Valves or ports i suppose are the ones on top of the regular #30 storage tank, they are brass so i was wondering if i should or should use dry ice around them

Ohh, I see what you mean. No you're fine. They are intended for high pressure refrigerant, it can handle propane and dry ice. Just make sure you are using ptfe gaskets, high pressure clamps, and SS braid hoses that are suitable. You're 30# tank will do fine.

hobb3s93

Ohh, I see what you mean. No you're fine. They are intended for high pressure refrigerant, it can handle propane and dry ice. Just make sure you are using ptfe gaskets, high pressure clamps, and SS braid hoses that are suitable. You're 30# tank will do fine.

so should i swap out the buna gaskets for ptfe on my terpp?
does the terpp come with high pressure clamps or would i need to switch these too?

I'm still not quite clear on the difference when running propane...
but thanx for all the advice i gotta look up that cotton candy:biggrin:

hobb3s93

Check out the CPS-TR21 :). Needs a heat exchanger, but even then you're spending around the same as an appion.

If I remember correctly, to do the cotton candy/cold muffin purge, you need recover to -22"hg, pull a full vac on your collection pot, and hold it for 5-10 minutes. Not sure if you have to keep your hot water bath under 85* or not, but retaining carboxylic acid probably wouldn't hurt in having a nice stable muffin.

will do , still just learning at this point so I'm unclear what a heat exchanger does but i will look it up. I've heard app ion doesn't have a very long life before they break or need to be repaired. is the cps-tr21 "superior" to appion in any way? or simply better priced?

thanx for the help lono , what size terpp u rocking? did u swap anything out on yours? or just running it how it came?

Permacultuure

Veteran
will do , still just learning at this point so I'm unclear what a heat exchanger does but i will look it up. I've heard app ion doesn't have a very long life before they break or need to be repaired. is the cps-tr21 "superior" to appion in any way? or simply better priced?

thanx for the help lono , what size terpp u rocking? did u swap anything out on yours? or just running it how it came?

You can extend the life and an appion, or any recovery pump by regulating it when its in use. I never let mine pull below -15 and only cut it on when gauge is reading positive pressure.

The heat exchanger is a molecular transformer ;)

The cps tr21 is a different beast and runs a lot hotter, this mean you need the mt-69 heat exchanger to help cool/condense the gas before your tank, prolonging the life of your ice and increasing recovery speeds.

Copper is not the best and its pretty easy to turn a SS wort chillier into a mt-69 with a few compression fittings, i can post pics if needed.

Lono

What perm said about the appion and tr21. Another benefit of making your own heat exchanger out of SS is that you can make it 3/8" as opposed to the mt69's 1/4" fittings, which allows you to chill it in dry ice and alcohol. Gray Wolf has a pretty nifty one set up, as does perm.

I have a 3x18" column and a 6x12" collection pot on my terpenator right now. Not sure what size that translates to. 1lb maybe? I built mine like a DIY, so I've had high pressure clamps and PTFE gaskets from the start. I've also been using SS overbraid PTFE hoses, which I got from Terpp.

Other than that, totally 'stock'. I did switch to running top feed recently. Left everything in place except I removed my vent hose. Connected a hose from the liquid valve on the recovery cylinder directly to the top of the column, no ball valve. Haven't used my dump valve the past two runs either. Had great results.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What perm said about the appion and tr21. Another benefit of making your own heat exchanger out of SS is that you can make it 3/8" as opposed to the mt69's 1/4" fittings, which allows you to chill it in dry ice and alcohol. Gray Wolf has a pretty nifty one set up, as does perm.

I have a 3x18" column and a 6x12" collection pot on my terpenator right now. Not sure what size that translates to. 1lb maybe? I built mine like a DIY, so I've had high pressure clamps and PTFE gaskets from the start. I've also been using SS overbraid PTFE hoses, which I got from Terpp.

Other than that, totally 'stock'. I did switch to running top feed recently. Left everything in place except I removed my vent hose. Connected a hose from the liquid valve on the recovery cylinder directly to the top of the column, no ball valve. Haven't used my dump valve the past two runs either. Had great results.

The Mk IVB and VB series Terpenators all have top flush capabilities, so you can shower extract by just switching valves.

You can high grade a column first by showering from the top for show and tell, and I know folks who do, but my own experience is that the yield is better flooding from the bottom.

The commercial extractors that I know who first shower from the top, return to flood and extract from the bottom, for a lower grade of their concentrates to be marketed to the medibles industry.

Chonkski

I just decided to flood three times usually and then shower at the end until I see the stream run clear. I believe that I am running pretty efficiently for maximum yields, I then dump warm Etoh in as soon as I open her up. And funnel it into a flask and straight to the freezer it goes for winterization.

Been working wonders for me

hobb3s93

thanx for the advice everybody.

but im still kinda confused about why i one would choose to get the tr21 and molecular transformer.

does the appion still preform the same function as the tr21 with the MT?

or is the advantage to getting the tr21 w/ mt that u can quickly reclaim when running cryo? because i thought ive read that apppion cant handle any liquid(very cold solvent)?

so a standard terpp doesnt come with high pressure clamps? isnt it designed to be used with propane as well?

the thing im still kinda lost on is why propane needs high pressure clamps ? i though u run it colder thus the pressure would be lower?

where would be the best place to get high pressure clamps and ptfe gaskets? glacier tank?

sorry to ask so many questions...

icdog

The tr21 and the appion are the same thing, a refrigerant recovery pump but they operate sorta differently.
The mt69 is a coil that cools the solvent coming from the recovery pump into the tank.
The mt69 works with either pump but the tr21 needs it since it gets hot.
GW and a few others sorted that the tr21 is a better pump to use then the appion for a few reasons. Either will likely die after a certain amount of use.

I don't think any of the pumps like liquid solvent, but you use a liquid line filter drier and you make sure you know how to operate the cls so you don't overfill the collection pot.

The tr21 should be faster because it has a 1hp motor vs the 1/2hp appion. Some have said that it might be safer for flammable refrigerant because the motor is isolated from the compressor. With a stainless after cooler, it would also have much less copper/brass then the appion, so might win in the clean department as well. I have a tr21 on order to try out, should be in next week. Just couldn't bring myself to buy my 6th appion.