What's new

Root Aphids in 2500 plant LEGAL Washington Grow

Hey bud. I tried to PM you but not sure if it went through. Can you please PM me if you don't get it? Looking for possible IPM consultation for recently licensed i502 Tier 2 facility.

Dr.King

Veteran
Okay guys,

Sorry ive been so snipity. I honestly didnt come here to have a pissing contest, but thats what i turned it into. I will admitt, it is frustrating when looking for help to have so many people rag on me, with knowing little to nothing about my situation outside of my pest issues. I do conceede i flew off the handle over stupid things, but I am under an immense amount of stress to make this sinking ship float across a wide ocean. Im doing the best I can.

So im dumb, or my owner is dumb, or maybe not. That all aside, thanks for all the input. I have further researched into nearly every option mentioned here.

It is looking like we do NOT have RA, but we do have population of red mites and fungas gnats. We will be taking the following actions to rectify:

1st and 2nd watering:
-beauveria bassiana drench

we will also use pyrethrin bombs after these waterings

from there we will asses our situation. We have deceided to take all neem related products out of the rotation for the next little while due to our overuse in the past.

Again, thank you to all who helped, and apologies to everyone I flamed.

If you indeed have Gnats the easiest way I combat them is using a 2 inch layer of regular Sand on top of the soil medium. The gnats and many other forms of flying insects can't lay their eggs on the sand as it is to dry and hot for them to live on. Hope this helps anyone in any way.

theJointedOne

Veteran
wtf

spraying all this shit

just feed your plants through the leaf with high nutrient dense food.

no wonder were getting super bugs, everyone wants to treat the problem instead of figuring out how to grow crop that CANT have bug/mold/mildew issues

You might have a blah blah blah degree from a babylon university, but if your into spraying cides and chems and shit..you dont know your ass from the hole in the ground...at least when it comes to cannabis

im feelin hella bad for the smokers up there and all over who have to puff bullshit flowers sprayed with hell crap cides.

Bongstar420

Are you saying WA doesn't do pesticide lab analysis?

Here in Oregon, just about any effective pesticide is screened plus a bunch of non-effective stuff as well.

Which is better:

1. No lab work; trust growers to report pesticides honestly and hardly ever test anything
2. Lab work; trust growers to report, but test product anyways throw growers product away when it tests dirty

?????????????????????????

Oregon is #2

Spray what ever you want, it gets screened. You risk your product going into the trash bin if you drop the ball on your pesticide application skills.

If all product isn't screened all the time, we are guaranteed to have spray on the shelf. Same goes for any thing that is testable. Also, allowing untestable claims like "organic" is inviting deceit.

RA spread through a winged phase and also a walker stage sometimes depending on species...or in your recycled media

Good luck "staying medical." Eventually, people won't be willing to jump them hoops for a marginally cheaper high.

Also, ever consider letting the ownership earn their own profits? You let them profit from your value contribution instead

There's no way orthene is allowable under i502. Just being on the picol database doesnt mean its acceptable to use. According to the wsda statement only pesticides which have an epa tolerance exemption are allowed with the exception of rooting hormones and some pyrethroids. Spinosad, ome of my staples for thrips which is omri approved doesnt even meet the criteria. Even tissue culture is questionable since the media requires hormones that don't meet the criteria and hormones are classed as pesticides with Wsda. Things like avid and and imid are absolutely against the rules, and with good reason. Movento maybe should be allowable since its approved for hops and grapes but not something I would use personally and is against the rules.

I'm running 20k sq ft of greenhouse in agriculture heavy south central WA where in the environment we have root aphids (and other aphids) carried and herded by ant populations, spider mites, and western flower thrips. I started clean from seed in a brand new op and having come from california didn't realize the immense pest pressure in this area. That said, I have everything under control with .aintenance and preventative sprays and inoculations but I never imagined seeing all this from a clean start grow in the first 6 months. Anyone running a commercial op here needs to be on their toes with proactive ipm practices.

As a production manager for this operation, you have to take responsibility for the product and be willing to tell the owners if a shut down is appropriate. I would finish the crop using the best organic methods to keep them at bay, and burn everything. Any 502 opertation is foolish to not have entered lots of seeds in their first 15 days of no questions asked inventory acquisition or keep a no bullshit mother room isolated from whatever pest problems may arise in the rest of the op. Its easy to blame your predecessor. Effective ipm strategies are hard however and there's no excuse for lying to regulators and putting poison on the shelves, the same with all of you advocating for imidacloprid and avid on flowering plants. Im guessing most of you sell it as medicine. There's absolutely no reason for it and root aphids are absolutely preventable on an indoor op. I work for an op that is in the process of acquiring a 502 permit, and we're seriously considering staying medical after witnessing the absurdity of the 502 market.

Slipnot

Going over this thread one only has to wonder lol ,, Wow first of all 2500 plants or 10 plants one should be aware of issues one of the first investments any one should look at is one of these common sense really its big money and big investment , make dam sure your soil is sterilized or clones are quarantined so no outbreak will happen anything entering or leaving the area is sterilized these are the first things any operation including botianic gardens address we do not even allow smoking anywhere on the property every station has sanitation room where you change or wash your hands
most stations only allow certain staff the rest are not allowed
Only then you can be assure of possible out breaks not happening

Not hard to sterilize soils and re introduce lving organisms

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Slipnot.........
Look at the thread date. You re-opened a thread from 2 years ago.
If you meant to...then thats that. If you didnt realize.....well, now you know.

Holy shit raising the dead. But I love me some pesticide talk so I'm goin with it.

No, WA didn't have mandatory pesticide testing back then. It still doesn't. Washington is bass ackwards on their regulations. But I'd suggest you look at which pesticides OR is regulating. I promise you I could find something really dangerous that wasn't on their list. I'm not sure but I don't think DDT is required testing in OR, for instance.

And Slipknot, pesticides are a reality of large scale cultivation. You know what kind of discount is involved in getting dirt wholesale? Or what kind of work is involved in innoculating three pallets of soil per room? Knowing how to apply pesticides properly is a job requirement for anyone running ten lights or more. Period. It's one of the first steps into the big leagues and you either learn it or you use the most toxic shit you can find in a state of panic that twenty grand or more is about to go up in webs.

If you want to figure out how to do it, check out UC Davis's Integrated Pest Management strategies for your targeted pests. It's the standard for all of CA's commercial ag and most of what they say to do is permitted on cannabis. I would recommend starting at level 3 treatment regardless of the pest for cannabis due to the value of the crop, just make sure it's permitted first. Most of their recommendations are super low toxicity since the whole point of the state making that kind of program available is to get farmers to use less toxic shit for the same price and with the same results in order to protect from runoff. Great resource meant to protect CA's water supply.

KONY

Veteran
Meanwhile here in the northeast can't even get a reputable lab to test for residual solvents, let alone pesticides.

This thread fascinates me though. I wonder how much residual pesticides I have smoked in my lifetime. Although with growing my own for the last 7 years, have atleast mitigated the problem.

Steep Hill is opening up in Maryland with their implementation. First lab chain in the country based out of CA and they do a good job. NY and Massachusetts should be good too. Most of the rest are way behind the west from what I understand.

And probably a lot. Most of the easy stuff to get is meant for veggies but you don't smoke lettuce. It gets in you off of cannabis.

Bongstar420

Awwww shucks.. Heres a gimmie!

http://www.oregon.gov/oha/mmj/Docum...07-0400-and-0410-exhibit-A-tables-3-and-4.pdf

These are the revised tolerance levels. The first version was all 0.1 ppm. Oregon State made this list not so forth coming to find. The one that pops up first is a list of a bunch of not so effective "organic" stuff.

Also, if you ask me, the solvent tolerances are way too high.

Notice they are all much lower than the food tolerance levels you find in food research. Its because smoking doesn't usually destroy much pesticide and you absorb it much better through your lungs vs intestines.

You should assume your more likely to get some dirty product on the black market. Those growers don't get tested and are less likely to be competent. There was even some news about a sample in our tested dispensaries turning up with Raid in it.
Holy shit raising the dead. But I love me some pesticide talk so I'm goin with it.

No, WA didn't have mandatory pesticide testing back then. It still doesn't. Washington is bass ackwards on their regulations. But I'd suggest you look at which pesticides OR is regulating. I promise you I could find something really dangerous that wasn't on their list. I'm not sure but I don't think DDT is required testing in OR, for instance.

And Slipknot, pesticides are a reality of large scale cultivation. You know what kind of discount is involved in getting dirt wholesale? Or what kind of work is involved in innoculating three pallets of soil per room? Knowing how to apply pesticides properly is a job requirement for anyone running ten lights or more. Period. It's one of the first steps into the big leagues and you either learn it or you use the most toxic shit you can find in a state of panic that twenty grand or more is about to go up in webs.

If you want to figure out how to do it, check out UC Davis's Integrated Pest Management strategies for your targeted pests. It's the standard for all of CA's commercial ag and most of what they say to do is permitted on cannabis. I would recommend starting at level 3 treatment regardless of the pest for cannabis due to the value of the crop, just make sure it's permitted first. Most of their recommendations are super low toxicity since the whole point of the state making that kind of program available is to get farmers to use less toxic shit for the same price and with the same results in order to protect from runoff. Great resource meant to protect CA's water supply.

Oh yeah, those were from the recent rulemaking, right? I'm reading through OR's rec laws right now. Would you be up for a PM chat about your thoughts on OR?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts