What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ptg

Gorgeous one AH!Quite resinous and beautiful flowers,i could almost smell them,and also feel the strong sun wich hit them! :canabis:

Lovely leaves on this one shushslo!Really sativa!

I wanna thanks Highliter,Ras pablo,gkn and all the others i forgot for their kind comments on the previous page!;)

Peace!

H

HeryRhom

mmh a dreaming africans' cross... big up Ah :tiphat: with nice early resin, promising! im also curious to see how principal cola will be... :)

Niiiiiiice ! Caribbean strains are so rarely seen, gonna keep a close eye on that one. Hmmm, Dominica, such a wonderfull place !
Irie !
:tiphat:Glad to share man', and delighted to meet you there Mriko since the vibes that I miss ...
I take this opportunity to tell you that I have kept the strawberry phéno MIS remember... I test the repro f2 also hoping to find a male approaching the mother of terpenes. :) ++ kenavo

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
...To see this flood of pure sativa,keep them comin' guys!So great to see such plants grown indoor...and very well grown!

:canabis::canabis::canabis: :canabis:

Prajna,it's good to know you found a very potent pheno of pahari,maybe i should try all the seeds i have left!:)

Thule,thanks bro!

C21h0o2:man you are right,i belive you should have two main pheno(+ all intermediates) in the f2,one very tall and long flowering(Koh Chang side) and another wich should lean more on the meao thai,wich,from what i have seen,should be more compact,easier to grow(less sensitive than thai landrace) and maybe a bit earlier.Awesome work made by Charlie Garcia on the Meao thai,the best pure thai inbreeded that i ever see.A friend have an expression for this kind of work,it feat exactly,it's"a labour of love"!

:smoweed:

the meao is the more potent of the two, yes? what is characteristic of the high on the kon chang side of the cross? what are you searching for in your f2s?!?!

Digit

i've long endeavored to see every post in this thread.. but this time i think perhaps i may have been away too long. i'll be here for weeks! dozens and dozens of pages to get through.

much love to all you sativa lovers. :) much love.

P

ptg

the meao is the more potent of the two, yes? what is characteristic of the high on the kon chang side of the cross? what are you searching for in your f2s?!?!

Sorry if my post was confusing,but actually i have tried none of them...just seen pics...but there is obvious differences between both...here is a pic of the Koh chang thai,seems my double thai looks really similar right now...For your questions you should ask Dubi from Ace or Charlie Garcia wich is the father of the Meao thai...

No,i won't do any f2 of DT...but maybe of the cross i made with it...:)...however,if i would search for something in the f2's,it would be a pure boy leaning on the Koh Chang side...to cross him with landraces straight from Sout East Asia...:canabis:

Just wanna add a pic of my lao girl,right after harvest:
picture.php

prajnaparamita

Prajnaparamita, woohoo, excellent choice of genetics! The Mama Thai has been on my want list for quite some time now. If you say it's a good daytime smoke I'm even more interested. Can you give us some datails on growing her? Flowering time etc.

How would you describe the malawi high? I'm curious to know what I'll be smoking next summer.. :) Is it good for chilling out on the beach or maybe good for outdoor activities?

The Mama Thai is great. Can smoke it all day long. Pleasant, spicy. Still allows you to do things. Happy smoke.

On growing, I would say it's hardy and can take a bit of a beating, compared to the other two. (Although the Malawi/Thai is good, too). The Mama Thai is really hard to keep down. I grow in 10oz, 16oz, 2.6L and 1.7gallon pots, keeping them in smaller pots as long as possible. In my original from-seedbank seeds I started LST way to late, and I ended up with a stalk straight up, then a circular top about 4' high and 4' diameter :D

This time, they've all been LST'ed from about the 4th-5th internode, and that has helped, but you're still pinching like mad to keep the Thais short. I also keep them (especially during stretch) very low on N, so they're a bit of a handful. However, they pack up really well. All go about 16-20 weeks (I rather go late than early)

The Malawi and the Pahari are real trippy. As in completely forgetting what you were doing, 5 secs after you got up. Got a strong rush, too. Also spicy. The Pahari smells like the charas I used to smoke in India, and is a bit calmer. I don't want to sound too stereotypical, but it does feel like the Mama Thai is like a SEAsian tropical beach, Pahari like sitting with the babas smoking a chillum on a Himalayan mountaintop, and the Malawi some crazy jungle sh-t I don't understand anything about... :))

I love how all three almost smoke like incense through the house, in a spicy sandalwood sort of way. First couple of nights I could barely sleep, and once I did I had the craziest dreams... :)) All cool, though.

----

beautiful plants, everybody. This thread and the Sat Grow thread have taught me more than any books ever did.

The 80's? Its been growing in the appalachian mountains easily since the 20's and thats only what I can verify from the old timers I know. So I hate to burst your bubble, but the folks in the Appalachian Mountains werent sitting on top of a hill with a telescope keeping an eye on what the Californians were doing.
There are indeed endless woods in the Appalachian Mountain range, but this is slowly starting to change. Only the National Forest and select private land owners will keep development from coming. But there does not appear to be any danger of the remoteness factor going away anytime in the very near future. There are alot of helicopter fly overs in the Appalachians though, and deservingly so because alot of marijuana is grown out in those mountains.

As I mentioned, a great deal of marijuana comes out of the Appalachian Mountains. Alot of families grow it as an extra source of income in the more rural areas of the Appalachians. There is a plentiful supply of good quality midgrade in that area, but the prices are not nearly as cheap as you have listed. A good once of quality midgrade is about $220 an ounce if you know somebody who has a good connection. A general trend of prices starting to up is apparent in that area though.

This is a true statement, generally speaking the mid grade varietys in the area do not come with fancy names. It is easy to find seeds of quality mid grade and this explains the abundance of the same type of quality of marijuana in the entire mountain range. Its generally very good, rarely to see poor quality marijuana in the area and if you do its Mexican Schwagg varies in quality in itself. The varietys are not what you would call wild in the Appalachain Mountains, alot of the varietys are very nice meaty nugs that taste very good. They pack a euphoric to couchlocking high, and the taste usually varies from outdoorsy to fruity. Its not uncommon to find muskier tasting varietys.

That being said, that would be the average marijuana to be found in the area. Do not kid yourself into thinking high quality marijuana does not come out of the Appalachain area. I have personally seen Dutch hybrids floating around the local towns for well over 20 year now. Its all about who you know in the Appalachain Mountains, and where you go ofcourse. The college towns are a great place to find Marijuana and have been for quite some time. At Appalachian State University in North Carolina there is a huge marijuana culture scene, and its common place to see hippies walking around all over the place. Some of the best marijuana in the state come out of Boone, N.C.

Other college towns have a strong agricultural program at the local Universitys and are a staple for high quality marijuana. Its not uncommon to see Californian varietys in those areas. Dutch hybrids are proliferate on these towns, some of the best marijuana on the east coast easily. So do not make broad sweeping statements about a particular area, because it really depends on where you go and who you know. Just like anywhere else. Marijuana grows equally as well in the Appalachian Mountains as it does in Northern California.

Generally speaking you will see locals growing all types of varietys, as they keep seeds from the best marijuana they can get. A distinction between sativa and indica is rarely made, rather they go by the quality of the herb the seed they have is found in. It is normal to find Indica/Sativa hybrids throughout the area, but it is not uncommon to see people ending up with 15 foot tall sativa's that do no finish. Harvest times varies in the Appalachian Mountians depending on the area you're talking about. So there is a great deal of variety of genetic matieral in the area. Just like with anywhere else, its possible to find people who do not know how to grow and their marijuana is basically trash. So you have to keep your head on straight when dealing with purchases throughout the Appalachian mountains just like anywhere else.
this guy knows what he's talkin about..

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
If that is the guy I think it is he actually didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Though I won't dispute the above posting since it's about the local scene in recent times which I really made no mention of. I will take exception the 80's bit however.

People just do not understand that prior to the 80's people were not making very good homegrown. It was a tiny percentage of the pie and was usually terrible. If you want to see what it homegrown from appalachia looked like in the 70's you can watch "acapulco gold" the documentary and see the panama red that hill billy is chopping and bricking about 9 weeks into VEG.

What do they think they were growing? You can't grow acapulco gold or panama red at that latitude. They just don't finish. To think that since the 20's old timers were smoking up good grass from that area is just unsubstantiated. Hemp maybe, lots of hemp was grown in that area since well before the 20's and into colonial times. But not good grass. Indicas and other genes that could finish in the area were available to a very small group of people, (Primarily smugglers and traveling hippies) and most of them were not country folk living out in the mountains. After all lets remember the indicas of the day were sold as hashish, which does not contain seeds.

Prior to '78 (I think that was the year) when AWAC (airborn warning and control) started being used against smugglers there was a tiny, TINY homegrown niche market. And it came from the coasts of California, Hawaii, and the tip of Florida. Which all happen to be the rare geographic places in the US that the strains of those days could finish into something worth smoking.

Applachia, I'm sorry to tell you was in fact watching the economic success of California with pot before they started growing indica'd up genes of things that made it that way in the early 80's. With a telescope? Of course not. They knew by the price of the weed they bought and once they got indica'd up genes I'm sure they did grown them. But that was not in the 20's.

Florida was a huge smuggling hub and the tip of it stays in a tropical photoperiod, California was the epicenter of the counter culture movement and the coast was warm enough for sativas, and traveling surfers took advantage of Hawaii's tropical climate. You understand all of these regions have cultural and geographic reasons for being the first places homegrown showed up. Applachia however, is not on that list.

Pot began being grown there not because of traveling surfers, it being a major smuggling port, or where hippes decided to settle down. It began being grown because the area is extremely economically depressed, and growing pot is a good way to make money. But "homegrown" was not a major factor in production virtually anywhere in the US until the major smuggling routes were ended, and that did not happen until the early 80s.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Appalachia has been a player on the underground East Coast scene since at least 1955.

And East Coast Hipsters have been growing outdoors since then also, though nothing on the same scale as the West Coast, granted.

See, the thing is that after the end of WWII (1945) a hugh influx of Appalachian Hillbillies headed North and flooded the city of Baltimore due to the well-paying factory jobs that were plentiful at the time.

These same Hillbillies also had families back home and they visited back and forth, here and there.

Now, the eastern edge of this newly created Hillbilly ghetto in Baltimore abutted a small, upper-class neighborhood which included a well known art college and was the Hipster center in town at that time.

The thing that united these two diverse groups was the local bars, which were plentiful at that time.:D

The art scene Hipsters bought pot from the Hillbillies, I know, and some of those same Hillbillies also became Hipsters themselves.

The Hipsters also traveled regularly to Greenwich Village, NY for the Jazz scene and had a lot of pot contacts there also, so stuff (with seeds) came back and could easily have made its way back to Appalachia given the way networks tend to operate.

So my guess would be that the generic 'landrace' Appalachian stuff currently around today is most likely an aclimatized mix of a semi-potent old hemp infused with potent Mexican strains.

I have to agree with Motaco. If the hillbillies were smoking something other than rope; then the counterculture would have had more of Appalachian influence. I.e. Hippies playing banjos , and singing bluegrass. But the reality is that the early Hippies were into Jazz showing a more Afrocentric influence( Jazz musicians from New Orleans would have easy access to Caribbean Sativas coming to that port) Hillbillies may have grown and smoked hemp, but the primary intoxicant of that culture is moonshine. Which stems from the Scots/ Irish peoples that are the ancestors of most of the Appalachia.
Now at the bars were hippies and hillbillies mingled with in Baltimore. Yes, they would have smoked together , but it was the hillbilles getting the seeds from the hippie art students. Those good 'ole country boys would have seen the value in the more potent seedstock to take back to the mountains. Where as the art students would have just thrown them away as trash; since most had never grew anything in their entire lives.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Well I have no idea of that sort of thing. I mean I suppose all over the country at various points people have put down a few seeds from their bags. I still don't see how mexican sativas from the 50's would finish in appalachia but I don't guess it matters.

What I mean when I say about regional strains is that they have to exist in an amount for it to be relevant to the community. Roadkill skunk, Kryptonite, or Gainesville Green for instance. A Thai and Hawaiian cross grown in Florida. Of course all of the old famous cali grass that I don't have to name, and lots of famous Hawaiian. Kona gold, maui waui, etc.

This stuff went all across the nation and was famous. It was grown in quantities that could give itself a name in the market. I'm not saying no pot was ever grown in appalachia prior to the 80's. Of course not. I'm saying I doubt there was any major trade coming from the area (for one thing because it's too far north for the sativas to even finish) and that it's unlikely one of those strains from the 50's was passed down through the generations into modern times, or even into the late 70's. But even if it was, it still wouldn't make it relevant in comparison to something like Maui Waui, or some other gem of the era. Grown to maturity in a condusive enviornment. The real issue is latitude, and at that latitude it takes indica'd up genes to finish. And indica genes were not available to regular folk until the 80s.

Those homegrowns would sell for near $200 dollars an ounce when prime Colombian would sell for $50, and even at those price they were highly sought after. Legends like that didn't come out of Appalachia, and in fact you didn't hear much about Appalachia until the mid 80s. Then you find Herijuana, and several others, but they were all indica'd up genetics as far as I know.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I know nothing about pot in the Appalachias, but certainly you'd expect even mexican strains to mature in the southern sub tropical parts like Alabama. It's a big mountain range.

houndog

During the very early 70s in Eastern Canada we came by some dark brown hash with a gold seal, within some of that hash we found viable seeds.

I am not trying to prove any point only that potent sativa hybrids can happen by accident.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good to have you back, motaco.

I just finished the book 'Orange Sunshine that came out last month, about the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, the biggest hippie smuggling force of the 60's-70's.
Just felt it a good time to run a couple of excerpts here:

picture.php

phenomenon, more famous in some circles than the island itself.
"I guess the Brotherhood served its purpose by bringing those seeds to Maui," Mundell allows. "It was pretty popular stuff. It was Maui Wowie."

and another:
Once, Gale and a friend went surfing in Sri Lanka and discovered the villagers grew a powerful variety of marijuana. Gale offered to buy their whole crop. But the villagers didn't want money; they wanted Levi's jeans. "They headed back [to Laguna] and made everyone go to every Sears, looking in the paper for a cheap pair of Levi's," says Thumper. "And they shipped them over there and bought all this pot. They called it Mars pot. It was high-grade pot; it put Oaxacan, Michoacan, and Colombian Gold to shame. And we drained Orange County of Levi's. And that's cool, you know; that's entrepreneurial. What wrecked it was coke."

For more on the BoEL, check out the thread in my sig. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts