What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Thanks Hi Liter that was a good read.

I'll have to check that book out. I love those old stories.

As far as appalachia, anything is possible, but I personally have my reservations. Don't get me wrong people all over were home growing weed. When you flip through old 70's High Times they have lots of folks up in Michigan, and Ohio growing Colombian genetics. Of course today we know they didn't finish but they didn't know any better back then. "R. dope coniseur" even had an article about inferior imitation hawaiian grown in Ohio called "Ohian". Todays mexican weed can no doubt be grown in appalachia and even further north. But pure stuff like Highland Oaxaca, I'm much less sure about. So much mexican today is indica'd up, but the real pure mexican sativas take a long time to flower.

J

John Public

Not really a pure ultra sativa, but my own hybrid between BSC Colombian gold, Jamaican Blue Mountains 85 and the Hawaiian sativa sold by Federation.

Just wanted to say "Hi" to the old sativa growers :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
but my own hybrid between BSC Colombian gold, Jamaican Blue Mountains 85 and the Hawaiian sativa sold by Federation.

hmmm, sounds (and looks) like a yummy cross again !

Irie !

P

ptg

Beautiful plants and buds John Public,i'm amazed how compact they were!:canabis:

Interesting read Highliter!:yes:

Thought i could share a couple of shot of my dried lao girl:
picture.php

Smoke (tobacco) kills^^
picture.php

Peace :tiphat:

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran

indifferent

Veteran
Amazing how little people knew about Marijuana back then, the first part where they were picking wild hemp long before it had even flowered was sad. The Kentucky part was most fascinating, makes you realise a lot of the 'Mexican brick' was actually domestic.

No idea what the quality of the Kentucky buds was like though, shame he didn't go visit when they were in full flower.

The Mexican section I think is pretty much typical of how it was done back then, many small time smugglers. However, if that guy got the very best gold, then I doubt it was in the same condition by the time it got the the US, after being bricked, wrapped and swum across the border. Still like to have smoked some though.

indifferent

Veteran
If that is the guy I think it is he actually didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Though I won't dispute the above posting since it's about the local scene in recent times which I really made no mention of. I will take exception the 80's bit however.

People just do not understand that prior to the 80's people were not making very good homegrown. It was a tiny percentage of the pie and was usually terrible. If you want to see what it homegrown from appalachia looked like in the 70's you can watch "acapulco gold" the documentary and see the panama red that hill billy is chopping and bricking about 9 weeks into VEG.

What do they think they were growing? You can't grow acapulco gold or panama red at that latitude. They just don't finish. To think that since the 20's old timers were smoking up good grass from that area is just unsubstantiated. Hemp maybe, lots of hemp was grown in that area since well before the 20's and into colonial times. But not good grass. Indicas and other genes that could finish in the area were available to a very small group of people, (Primarily smugglers and traveling hippies) and most of them were not country folk living out in the mountains. After all lets remember the indicas of the day were sold as hashish, which does not contain seeds.

Prior to '78 (I think that was the year) when AWAC (airborn warning and control) started being used against smugglers there was a tiny, TINY homegrown niche market. And it came from the coasts of California, Hawaii, and the tip of Florida. Which all happen to be the rare geographic places in the US that the strains of those days could finish into something worth smoking.

Applachia, I'm sorry to tell you was in fact watching the economic success of California with pot before they started growing indica'd up genes of things that made it that way in the early 80's. With a telescope? Of course not. They knew by the price of the weed they bought and once they got indica'd up genes I'm sure they did grown them. But that was not in the 20's.

Florida was a huge smuggling hub and the tip of it stays in a tropical photoperiod, California was the epicenter of the counter culture movement and the coast was warm enough for sativas, and traveling surfers took advantage of Hawaii's tropical climate. You understand all of these regions have cultural and geographic reasons for being the first places homegrown showed up. Applachia however, is not on that list.

Pot began being grown there not because of traveling surfers, it being a major smuggling port, or where hippes decided to settle down. It began being grown because the area is extremely economically depressed, and growing pot is a good way to make money. But "homegrown" was not a major factor in production virtually anywhere in the US until the major smuggling routes were ended, and that did not happen until the early 80s.

Hi Motaco

I expect a lot of the growing in the Appalachias in the 80s was of low quality, as it was in most places, the knowledge and genes were lacking.

However, you missed out Parke-Davis and Cannabis Americana. The very finest genes available from around the world were grown field scale in Kentucky in the first quarter of the 20th century, and these were plants grown properly for medicinal applications, so they definitely had genes that finished locally. I just don't believe that all this stuff disappeared between the 20s and the 60s, sure there were very few white folks growing and smoking MJ until the 60s, but some were. William Burroughs floated around East Texas in the 40s growing Mexican weed for example.

SO I am pretty sure the genes from the 1920s survived into the 1960s and even to this day, but how widely grown they were i don't know, but I hear there were Appalachian indicas and hybrids of great quality in the 80s.

I;m British so only going on stuff i read, but i am pretty sure not everyone in the Appalachians was growing hempy shit.

johnnybhang

I bet that same acapulco gold is growing in those hills behind papanoa, guerrero. It certainly is a beautiful plant, has a look all its own. That kentucky farmer said he either got acapulco gold or panama red seeds. Its definetly acapulco gold they get a good close up on his plants, and later they get a good close up on the mexican plants and its the dead on the same.

smokefrogg

Veteran
hi just popping in to check this! i loooove sativas!!

currently i have 1 thai which was ordered from world of seeds seed bank, we cut clones off 2 days ago, these will be spread to several different folks that will probably continue that process with their own little circle of heads, slowly spreading it around hooray!

mi madre has 1 acapulco gold right now which was obtained from bag seed, i have had an old hippy check that herb and they did confirm it looked tasted smelled and effected him in a pretty authentic way, man this bud was frickin' GOLD! as a youngster i hadn't seen something like that, the shop had it on the low low end too, 25$ 1/8. we got about 30 seeds total, only got 1 to actually grow successfully, clones will be made of her to spread the love too, hope it got pollenated by another of it's kind so it's not just 1/2 acapulco gold! we shall see =)

mi madre has 1 colombian gold from world of seeds as well, i hadn't been up there to see it but she said it is really kicking ass, it's out in a greenhouse vegging and getting tall!

sativas really excite me, especially if they are not mixed with too many other kinds, as o.g. and landrace as can be i think is the coolest. man some of these have been bred for a very very long time, hundreds upon hundreds of years even. i feel there is a major difference between these oldschool strains of yore and the newschool hybrids and strains made after only 10~20 generations of breeding. maybe it's all just in my head though ;)

either way sativas are awesome and man i just can't wait to get a taste of this thai when it's done, last time i had real thai was over 15 years ago, never see it at the shops and there are many in my area...i guess most folks just don't want to take the time to do it? i don't mind being patient for something amazingly good =)

indifferent

Veteran
Acapulco/Oaxacan Gold was only golden in colour cos it was dried in the sun, the actual plants are usually a bright lime green with some purple/red tips on the calyxes.

World of Seeds are a fraud, their strains aren't landraces, they are a group of businessmen in Valencia who just buy in seeds from wholesale producers and makeup names and stories about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts