What's new

Reversed Backcrossing:)

Colina

Hi Weedninja,

I do not understand your first response. We are all talking about the same thing here I believe. Selfing = a single parent per generation.

I am all for maintaining genetic diversity. I do not buy however that the average cannabis breeder who crosses out to every Tom Dick and Harry (most often before fixing favorable traits) is necessarily good for genetic diversity, or the cannabis gene pool. And I believe the current thought by them and others that they are somehow "real breeders" etc, while pointing fingers at others and things they don't seem to understand, well, all of that is just a bunch of crap in my opinion.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
They're gonna have to stop using the current gene marker first though, no point making glow in the dark weed plants :)

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WHY NOT MAKE HEMP TURN INTO WEED.....

OR Stinging Nettles PRODUCE TRIC`S,,then we could hash it

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think its all about Quantitative trait locus,,,

droping that DNA into a carrier is the way

thats where my heads going

dreadvik

Hashapples ;)

Colina, I see what your saying, it's diversity but perhaps not good diversity. I guess the amateur breeders who might do such things are doing to learn whilst staying interested and I would think after will set about doing things the right way. It's only the things they share during this period that could do harm to the cannabis gene pool as you put it.

Weedninja

At one point, the term selfing was commonly used by Cannabis breeders to describe any back-crossed line. When many older breeders refer to selfing, that's what they mean. Just to clarify- Are you suggesting that Sam used sex-reversal hormones on 1 or more of his lines?

As for your 2nd point; I agree. F1 Hybrid vigor can and does mask undesirable traits.

Colina

"Are you suggesting that Sam used sex-reversal hormones on 1 or more of his lines?"

Yes indeed, maybe not SK#1 etc, but yes, Sam uses reversal techniques and selfs plants in the way being discussed here.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Col said:
This technique -selfing- it should not be used for maintaining existing inbred lines for one example. It does have a viable places however, in my opinion, like creating new IBL's from elite clones to be outcrossed.

Hay kopite ,,,,do you agree with cols post ,,,,creating IBL lines from elite clones

that post of cols is gold,, if you ask me,,,,,,

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ANYONE WANT TO TELL ME WHY REVERCED BACKCROSSING IS A BAD IDEA?...OR MAYBE ITS A GOOD IDEA??

Colina

And, for the record Rick, I am not too keen on the idea of the reversal backcross either, lol. I think it would be preferable to self your way to near homozygosity if possible and take it from there, the outcross at that point would be the conventional move.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
your right,,,,,i hold grate importance to the donor parent,,,,,,

this is something i wrote beffore

Rick said:
Quantitative trait locus location is indicated only by looking at which markers give the greatest differences between genotype group averages,...

ITS THE SPECIAL CLONES THAT ARE THE MARKERS THAT SHOW the greatest differences between genotype group averages,,,,,,,they actualy have a "special" coding, that makes "special" protine an thus a special phenotype,,,,,,,an it differs from the others in the same line.....

im sure we want to isolate AMAZING quantitative traits,,,, then we can outcross

surly the donor is the one we need to work on, when trying to isolate polygenic traits shown in the mother.....am i wrong?

Colina

Hi Rick,

I edited my post because I am not sure we can even call your S1 a donor parent. But yeah, more importance should be placed on the selection of the recurrent parent in backcrossing programs. There is no work done on a donor parent, it is used once to pollinate the recurrent parent and that's it.

Clones are not genetic markers.

I also feel you are assuming many traits are complexly inherited when they may not be, and there is much talk in this thread that seems wild speculation to me. And my head hurts now so I'll retire from this for a while.

Back to square one, self the damn plant and see what happens. :D

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That other thread was very good, helped me understand more of what has been discussed here too.

As a slight aside from the main topic, I find it interesting that Cheese x Psychosis would be an identical cross to Psychosis x Cheese.. I know you mentioned in PM rick that you would be tempted to try both ways around, seems there is no point..

lets look at

Blues x Cheese..............i think ive called it a fem outcross beffore,,, :)

with the cheese reverced an yealding polen,,,,im assuming its allready started on its road to becoming homogeneous,,,,,"i wonder if the reverced-polen is like incrossed-polen?",