What's new

Removing the "B" from BHO

Terpene Bubbles

Jump, before Hi Guys was banned due to what he has to offer, he wanted to tell you that you should leave the ethanolic solution in the freezer at that temp for 24 hours or more to precipitate waxes. You want a fast filter for gelatinous precipitates.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I do heat it, but it's still not so easy as it cools so fast. And who you calling a monkey? no need for the nastiness.

monkey isnt nasty, lol. its silly not to just heat it and scrape it up, i do it like, all the time, for years. you have enough time to scrape it up before it cools, EASILY. its not even a race for time by any means.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i would not recommend any regular lighter flame though jump, it creates nasty black soot. you want a jet style butane torch or torch lighter only.

indifferent

Veteran
I'm leaving this discussion, just noticed the disappearing posts and threads to do with purging bho and it's just silly, I would rather keep my icmag account intact! lol

jump117

Veteran
Jump, before Hi Guys was banned due to what he has to offer, he wanted to tell you that you should leave the ethanolic solution in the freezer at that temp for 24 hours or more to precipitate waxes. You want a fast filter for gelatinous precipitates.

Thank you, I'll try and post in a good time.

i would not recommend any regular lighter flame though jump, it creates nasty black soot. you want a jet style butane torch or torch lighter only.

Thank you, you right, sure the heat must be clean.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Hi! Will you describe that process or give a link, please.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=1N2oAAAAEBAJ

But I think jump117 has seen this one, it mentions decarboxylation and charcoal.

Any idiot can search patents. The troll worship here is weird.

I'll be trying a pet. ether A/B extraction when my NL5xHazes finish (now at 90 days 12/12,) and for the final product will use a plate in a vacuum desiccator with aspirator vacuum, starting from liquid concentrate.

jump117

Veteran
Whether do terpenes contribute to odor differences among the strains or do they determine the whole profile of activity, it’s discussable,

the proof (or assumption – to be more correct) is based only on respected but subjective experts judgment,

I have experience in smoking with suggestible person who finds significant difference in strength and profile between few buds from the same branch when he didn’t know it,

since there is no instrument to objective measuring of psycho-activity profiles the assumption is not proved.

But.

Whatever terpenes do, we don’t lose them in Ethanol when remove bubbles.

I hope you have read the notes about absolute (click), they use ethanol as secondary solvent to improve the quality of primary extract in terms of aroma,

and this is commonly and universally accepted method.

I hope you will test this method and add it to your practice.

O

o.sparkles

All bickering aside, this was a fun, enlightening thread. I really liked learning about concretes and absolutes. I will venture further down that road, thanks.

craigryan420

Jump, you have some very interesting information. Thanks for the postings. What ratio do you suggest for dissolving bho into ethanol or 190 grain alcohol, is there a per gram ratio to ml of ethanol? Can you confirm that you heat up the ethanol bho liquid on a double broiler then cool it and freeze for 24 hours? I am very interested in getting b and any other waxes that I can out of my amber glass. I'm also interested in trying the fresh cut extraction. It seems so simple and wold save so many steps - trimming, drying, curing, wow! Thanks again for sharing great info and I'm really enjoying the data on this thread.

Peace CR

jump117

Veteran
craigryan420, pleased to meet your interest in fresh cut extractions, the very fruitful destination,
in addition to amber quality it really saves the time required for drying and curing but accurate trimming is useful in terms of efficiency,

the last extraction I made from a fresh seeded buds, they didn't need trimming,
I manually reaped the seeds off them, all the clusters were rumpled after that and didn't need pre-wash triming
EtOH extracted them in 3+ minutes and got an extract of a very suitable dense, its not sticky nor shatter brittle, ...

, it could be brighter if I had butane and did as I posted in the topic Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys ,

the ratio ethanol/bho has to provide a good viscosity to filtration,
I do it by eye with small amounts and never tried big scales, roughly estimated 50ml/0.7g not sure,

I was never needed to heat ethanol to dissolve bho, it always works good at room temp,
also never was needed to cool and freeze after ethanol is evaporated at 78C (173F) on double boiler,
they say this temperature is not safe to terpens, many of them fly away others oxidize into another forms,
vacuum would help to save virgin terpenes in evaporation under 50C (122F),
on the other hand in terms of THC content its better 20-30 minutes at 122C (252F).

Hi All.
I'm down with the (mother)fucking flu today,thought I'd chime in,fer' shits n' giggles...I'm sure some of you will be thrilled,others,not so much so.
Here's my opinion,and pay in mind,I've only been making BHO for a decade,and I introduced BHO to Amsterdam,about eight years ago,through Soma.
....But what do I know,right? :D

1) BHO should be SOLID,and damn sure NOT runny. Ever.

Cheers!

Thats funny rez because I remember your BHO pics at OG and it was far from solid (blue container pics).....and I smoked BHO in Amsterdam in 97 before you even knew Soma

reckon

I use this for the purge:
http://www.harborfreight.com/jar-lid-vacuum-system-kit-96414.html

all plastic so no chance of a spark, you can get as much or as little vacuum as you want, and the polyethylene is inert and does not react with the butane, or alcohol, or even hexane.

I used to use a very similar thingy for vacuum purging silicone for making molds so you don't get bubbles, and screw up the casting.

great for vacuum sealing buds for long storage too.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
craigryan420, pleased to meet your interest in fresh cut extractions, the very fruitful destination,
in addition to amber quality it really saves the time required for drying and curing but accurate trimming is useful in terms of efficiency,

i as well love the flavors obtainable from fresh wet extractions, but do you feel the yield is diminished, or do your methods allow you to obtain a similar yield to dry?

jump117

Veteran
I did not compare yields from dry VS fresh. I have only small amounts of income matter and no scales. As for quality to me fresh is better.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i find that weed that has just been dried out, and not left for any amount of time gives really tasty oil too. dried, then run the next day.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i dont find the hardness changes as much as color changes, and flavor. many types of bud left to age for a month or two yield much darker oil that is not anyhwere near as tasty. it is usually still quite hard though, and not runny. sometimes a very small amount softer, but not runny by any means.