Veteran
Hi.
Materials needed;
Bho
mason jar
foodsaver brand vacuum lid for mason jars
vacuum pump or foodsaver machine.
boiling water

To further remove residual B from BHO oil, I use a vacuum pump.
1-put oil in mason jar.
2-attach vacu lid and run pump.
3-put jar in hot/ boiling water
4-keep water hot and pump running till it stops bubbling.

The vacuum will lower the boiling point of the B and help remove it.
This will remove just about all residual butane.

Any questions?
SD:joint:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Could these vacuum pumps create a spark?

I suppose so.... but, at this point, we are only removing a TEENSY, WEENSY bit of B , so should not be a big deal.Works fine for me.
Remember, this is only after it is solid-semi-solid, that is why you use hot water to re-soften the resin.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
how do you remove the finished product from your vacuum vessel? just scraping?

TheHashAssassin

do you find that doing this process on 'buddered' oil has any effect? I have always just buddered my oil and left it for a day and thought that got every thing out, but who knows :confused:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This is a simple home way to do what real labs use to get out all the solvents from extracts. If you analyze oil made with Butane with a GC you will find traces of Butane still in the oil no matter how carefully you try and remove all the solvent. A vacuum flask over boiling water is the best way to get all the solvent (or at least almost all removed). I think anyone who likes oil has tasted oil with solvent still in it, it is not nice, or good for you. I don't even like ethanol, which is pretty safe to consume small amounts of, but I just hate the taste and smell of any and all solvents besides my concerns for health reasons. Carbon dioxide can be used as a solvent, but until it is available I won't touch any oil.
Almost all of the BHO I have tasted in the past tasted to me of Butane, faintly at least.
The real problem is that because of the affinity of butane to THC, it works very easy to extract and is all that much more difficult to remove all the butane from the extract.
Every BHO I ever tested on my GC had small amounts of butane left in it.
Not surprising...

-SamS

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
well since sam wont share his secret super pure kif method, we will have to suffer with our unsecret super pure oil method, with minute traces of relatively harmless butane in it :(

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Almost all of the BHO I have tasted in the past tasted to me of Butane, faintly at least.

-SamS

almost all people do just an ok job of making it in my experience, just like hash. i notice you say "almost" all of it. none of mine tastes like butane, i can assure you, you would enjoy only the pure terpene flavors.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
This is a simple home way to do what real labs use to get out all the solvents from extracts. If you analyze oil made with Butane with a GC you will find traces of Butane still in the oil no matter how carefully you try and remove all the solvent. A vacuum flask over boiling water is the best way to get all the solvent (or at least almost all removed). I think anyone who likes oil has tasted oil with solvent still in it, it is not nice, or good for you. I don't even like ethanol, which is pretty safe to consume small amounts of, but I just hate the taste and smell of any and all solvents besides my concerns for health reasons. Carbon dioxide can be used as a solvent, but until it is available I won't touch any oil.
The real problem is that because of the affinity of butane to THC, it works very easy to extract and is all that much more difficult to remove all the butane from the extract.
Every BHO I ever tested on my GC had small amounts of butane left in it.
Not surprising...

-SamS

Hi Sam.
Might you have any idea of the amount of B residue left in the oil after vacuum evap? PPM's??? %???
Thanks,

foaf

Veteran
Ive been vacuum purging after runs in the honey pot thing for years now and sure, it works and that's how I do it, but purging is more complicated than just that. The refrigerant transfer pump pulls a very hard vacuum, and in fact, you can tell when it is mostly purged when the vacuum finally gets to its maximum vacuum level on the gauge.

when Ive made larger amounts and collected it before purging and then tried to vacuum purge a vial or small bag with say 10 grams in it, the bubbles take almost 2 days to completely dissappear from an inch or so deep of hash oil at 90 degrees f or so, regardless of how hard you put a vacuum. That same vial or bag takes 2 or 3 weeks if just left at 90f and no vacuum for all the bubbles to disappear, it speeds it up a bunch.

two important issues to consider are the surface area of the bho and how "deep" it is. if you have a thin layer spread out in a casserole dish, then butane doesn't have far to travel from the deepest parts of the bho to the surface. I think for people who use the casserole dish method, there is no better time to purge than right then, it is in a perfect condition to purge all spread out. Some warm water both speeds evaporation by increasing the vapor pressure of the dissolved butane and more importantly it makes the hash oil less viscous so that the bubbles that form can migrate. its all a matter of time. if your oil is even semi liquid, like at 80f or more, then the butane will eventually purge out just by letting it sit, but it can takes weeks in a vial or deep container, and of course you need to leave the top off.

and of course I like little Teflon bags to store and purge my oil in, it makes transferring things so easy.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
no doubt foaf, letting it sit, keeping it hot and applying top heat via a torch allows one to purge an amount up to about 7 grams in less than an hour. i just did 6 grams, and the last bubbles that formed wouldnt flame. none of them. all terpene bubbles, so i stopped.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
when Ive made larger amounts and collected it before purging and then tried to vacuum purge a vial or small bag with say 10 grams in it, the bubbles take almost 2 days to completely dissappear from an inch or so deep of hash oil at 90 degrees f or so, regardless of how hard you put a vacuum. That same vial or bag takes 2 or 3 weeks if just left at 90f and no vacuum for all the bubbles to disappear, it speeds it up a bunch.

With a boiling water bath 7 grams cleans up in a bout an hour.:joint:
SD

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
hey i beat you. but nice to see a complete agree-ance. it doesnt have to be that hot though, if your pyrex plate is large enough( gives thin oil pool).

foaf

Veteran
With a boiling water bath 7 grams cleans up in a bout an hour.

in what configuration of a vessel. I know for sure that one of these wont purge completely that quick.

When I catch about 8 grams spread out in a gallon teflon bag, it puges at room temp in about an hour, yes, but that is spread out like in a casserole dish.

Ryu

Sam - Do you consider oil made with 99% iso the same as BHO in regards to impurities?
I made BHO twice and then tried iso oil, much purer taste for me, with a quick wash anyway.

Anyone purge over steam? Got a tefal steamer for christmas a few years back and never used it until now. My pyrex dish rests on top and goes for 2 hours if needed without refilling.
Steam is hotter than boiling water, can you over purge and damage the THC if left going well after all the iso is purged?