What's new

ReikoX's Workshop 2023

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
New year, new thread. This is a continuation of my previous grow logs: ReikoX's Workshop 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Not a whole lot has changed since my last thread, but to review I have a 4x6 flower room and a 4x4 veg room. The 4x6 flower room runs about 720W of LED lighting and has three 30-gallon no-till beds watered with Tropf Blumats. The 4x4 veg room has about 150W of bridgelux lighting in a stacked configuration for bonsai mothers, clones, and seed starts. It also has a 100W light on the top shelf for autos.

We will jump in right where the last thread left off with Dominion Diesel at day 45F.
1000001059.jpg

Zak Haze S1 at day 21F. I cleaned up the lower branches to make it easier to water them.
1000001058.jpg

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Dominion Diesel girls are finishing up fast now. Gave them one last bloom feed last night. Turned the lights down to 70% and added the UV and IR supplemental lights for the last two weeks. Here we are at day 50F, guessing they will go 65 days tops.
1000001077.jpg

Far red lights stay on for the last 15 minutes of the cycle.
1000001078.jpg

Zak Haze S1 for the solo cup challenge in the QT tent. Day 26F.
1000001079.jpg

brickweeder

I'm pretty happy with them. They are a hempy style cup (one hole about an inch above the bottom) filled with a 60/40 perlite/vermiculite mix. Feeding them Jack's 321 daily.
Ah, got it. Every time I used hempys...I got root rot, regardless of temps. Maybe I'll try it again...

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The Zak Haze S1 plants in the QT tent are starting to get stinky. I normally only flower males in there for a few weeks, so I've never installed a carbon filter. This 120 micron sieve just happens to fit perfectly over the exhaust hole. I filled it with activated carbon and it's at least 90% better.
1000001153.jpg

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I harvested the flower room Sunday at day 63 exactly. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, my hands got quite sticky. I kept a couple tops from each of the four plants, and froze the remaining buds for a total of 2132 grams wet. I'll have more grow stats as the tops dry and I begin making the hash. The first batch of hash could happen as early as Thursday night.

I used the Grove Bags fresh frozen bags this time. I have to admit, they seem to work better than regular freezer bags. They are huge, however. I could easily fit a couple kilograms in each bag. I went a head and ordered a few more, along with the one-ounce bags. I'm sold on these instead of jars. I usually hook my brother up with an ounce or two from each grow, this way I don't have to worry about getting my jars back.

I still some cleaning and maintenance to do in the flower room. I need to clean and mop the floor, then I want to soak my drippers in vinegar, and finally clean the Blumat carrots. My next couple of runs will be an auto breeding project in containers, so the beds will rest for a bit.

I was scrolling through IG earlier and I stumbled on this post from Slownickel.
1000001221.jpg

1000001219.jpg

According to this perspective, my Mg and K were both low this last round. I had about 83% Ca, 8% Mg, 4% K, and 1 % Na. I was following the calcareous worksheet from Solomon's book The Intelligent Gardener. That worksheet had me target 85% Ca, 5% Mg, 3% K (table lookup), 1% Na. Next time, I'll try pushing the Mg and K higher and lay off the Ca a bit.

I got this little aero garden for Christmas, I finally set it up today at the office.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I was cleaning out the beds and noticed some of the drip emitters were dry. Mounds of roots climbed up and clogged them.
1000001253.jpg

Over all, less than 1/2 the drip emitters were working. I may consider their soaker hose kit.
1000001258.jpg

Some Dominion Diesel buds drying, about five days in, still need a few more, then I'll trim and put them in Grove bags.
1000001256.jpg

Gave my mothers a much needed trim.
1000001255.jpg

And the Zak Haze S1 in the solo cup, starting to mature a bit at day 45F.
1000001257.jpg

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I trimmed about 100 grams that I dried of the Dominion Diesel. That bring the total up to 530 about grams. Pretty much in the middle as far as yield goes, better than the Solo's Stash, but nowhere near the Grass Fire OG yield.

As I trimmed them, I tried each one in the DynaVap. They all were pretty similar in smell and flavor, definitely have a chem type smell from the ECSD, with maybe a hint of sweetness coming from the Dominion Skunk. The high seemed more cerebral, without being racy. When I run them again, I'll probably take them 70-75 days instead of 63 days.

They dried for nine days at as close to 60°/60% as I could get them. They were a bit more wet than I normally like them, but I put them in Grove Bags last night anyway. This morning they felt perfect, so I'll keep an eye on them.
1000001289.jpg

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Got my seeds to start the Afterthought Auto collaboration.
1000001291.jpg

Phase one is to cross these Critical Mass x Ginger Alex Blueberry with my Divyder (La Diva x Lowryder2). Simultaneously, Aridbud will cross my JLo with his Brazillian Santa Maria. Finally, we will both cross (CMxGAB x Divyder) x (JLo x Santa Maria) for production.

I'm still trying to work out my plan for phase one. Originally I was going to plant 24 of each seed line and letting them open pollinate. After discussing it with Aridbud, we decided that open pollination would have too much variability. My next plan was to cull all the male CMxGAB and then let everything open pollinate (culling any off-type males). This would create some CMxGAB x Divyder crosses and some Divyder F2 seeds depending on which female the plant came from. Another plan would be to separate the males and select the best pairings.

If I want to keep my plant count "legal" I can only have a total of 12 plants in flower. With that added restraint, I think the plan will be to pop 24 of the Divyder seeds. Cull any females and off-type males until I have 12 or fewer males flowering. I'll select the one or two males to use after a few weeks of flowering and save the pollen. Three or four weeks after popping the Divyder seeds, I'll pop the 24 CMxGAB seeds and cull any males and off-type females until I have 12 or fewer females flowering. Once they begin flowering, I'll manually pollinate the CMxGAB females with the selected Divyder males.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Took some soil samples last night and got them mailed off this morning. I should have my results back by the end of next week. It will be interesting to see what the numbers look like after incorporating some feeds along the way. Compared to last run, I feel like I got a little further along before they ran out of steam. Yields were a little bit bigger, but I feel like there is still a lot more left on the table.

My last soil test was pretty good, low nitrogen and low manganese compared to the level of iron. I added some feather meal for nitrogen and fed with amino acids every 7-10 days. I added some manganese sulfate, but the worksheet I was using limits applications to 10 pounds per acre, I needed 100 pounds per acre to bring it equal to the iron in my soil. My plan is to add 10 pounds per acre a week for the next 10 weeks to bring up the manganese, since the soil will be resting for the next couple of rounds (see below). I also switched to Big 6 for trace minerals since it has no iron added.

When I was taking the soil samples, I noticed the moisture levels in the beds was quite uneven. Some areas were dry where the drippers were clogged. It could be that once the plant gets to a large size, the Blumat drippers were unable to keep up, especially once clogged. I was looking at the Blusoak drip tape as an alternative. It was actually quite cheap to make the switch, I had to order six connectors and 20 feet of the tape. It came to $41 USD delivered. It should be here this weekend. I also ordered a blue oyster mushroom straw log to use as a mulch layer which arrived yesterday.

The final possibility for my issues is Hops Latent Viroid, though I think this is the least likely possibility based on hash yields. The Green Crack and Zak Haze were below 1% yield on hash. Everything since then has been above 3%, so it's unlikely that there is still some viroid in the beds. They are, however, filled with the same soil that I grew the Green Crack and Zak Haze in. This round I decided to pull all the leaves and root balls out of the bed and I wont be top dressing with the bubble hash scraps. When researching what they do in hops fields, they leave the infected area unplanted for six months. Since I'm planning to do some auto breeding in this room anyway, I decided to mulch and let the beds rest for the next couple of rounds. This gives me plenty of time to amend and get the beds ready for the next run.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I made a couple batches of hash Saturday night. I washed the two Dominion Diesel plants in that far bed. Dominion Diesel #1 looked slightly lower than average yield, while Dominion Diesel #2 looked like it yielded really well for the small amount I washed. The hash is in the beer froster drying now, I'll weigh and squish the hash in a week or so.
1000001316.jpg

I got the Divyder planted into some tree pots. Only a few had cracked their tails after a 48 hour soak. I have three different soil mixes, a water-only mix that is a little hot, a coots mix that's more in the middle, and a light mix. I put a cup of each in the pots with the hot soil at the bottom, coots in the middle, and the light mix on top. I placed the seeds on top of the soil, then covered them with another 1/4 cup of the light mix. Finally I covered them with some plastic wrap to keep the humidity up.
1000001319.jpg

I got this Lion Mane mushroom kit for Christmas. Just got around to setting it up. I hear they taste like lobster.
1000001321.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts