What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

REALSTYLES DIY CXB3590 TUTORIAL

Terrific thread ! I think i've anderstood almost every thing i need.

BTW a few questions.

How far from the canopy do you put your leds?
How many watt leds for what footprint?
Is white better than blue and red ?

Thanks

Dready_jake

How much under powered at the full 700ma? About 50% right?
And which is better to use: the Meanwell HLG-185H-C700A or the Meanwell HLG-185H-C700B? What's the difference?

Is it possibly better for each cob to have its own driver?
http://m.alibaba.com/product/434631183/Constant-Current-Dimmable-LED-Driver-50W.html?s=p
I know that may be a silly question but I'm a newb at electricity. I also know it might be more of a pain to dim each led individually. Or am I onto something? Lol
(Was thinking about taking a class so that this would like making banana bread for me.{I.e. simple}, because I know very little about elec.)

Do you have a Link to where you got those cobs, or a link to reputable website with a decent deal on 8 of them?
Are these the right cobs or do I need cxb's?
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=175021535&uq=635711447140870646What do they have if any, for UV? And If I wanted to add in 2-4 LEDs of UV how would I go about that?

What are the stats on the fan, so I can get an equivalent if that specific one is hard for me to find.?
And it was hard for me to see in the vid, where did the fan get wired into?

And please as many links as possible because my rough estimates add up to about $1000 and I might be forgetting some stuff..

Sorry for the question blast but I'm legitimately doing this ASAP. Please take your time with these questions I know there is a lot there.lol ;)
Thanks again for everything bro! Mad respect!
I'm gonna go through and give you rep on every single post...lol
Why is this down to 3 stars?

One last question if I were to start with one of these and then design a 1000 watter,(theoretically) would none of these work?:http://www.bravoelectro.com/series-...sbtLvxA5hal4xsNY06jFQFunkCV9vw1cSbBoC40jw_wcB
I could still throw a dimmer in there somewhere right?

Last edited:
C

CannaBuilding

Hi all,

very nice thread, read through all of it, great info, love all the pics you've posted Realstyles of yoru current grow with the COB leds, the ladies are looking real healthy.

I dont remember were i read it, if it was this thread or another, But im wondering why its not a good idea to connect to LED drivers in Parallel, E.g a meanwell 185 c500 Variable voltage driver, contant current driver, current of 500ma, Connecting 2 in parallel,making the current 1a.

As im in the process of ordering parts for a cob LED light im making to add to my current LED grow.

I also was looking at some Epistar Cob LEDS with drivers that go for about 15us shipping from Aliexpress/Alibaba, The drivers are only 1500ma, when the LEDs can handle 3a, thats something im looking for, But at the same time saving money, on a student budget. Anyone have any luck with these type of COB LEDS, I have read alot of positive results from Cree cobs, but they are way out of my prices range.

Any info would be much appreciated.

REALSTYLES

Hi all,

very nice thread, read through all of it, great info, love all the pics you've posted Realstyles of yoru current grow with the COB leds, the ladies are looking real healthy.

I dont remember were i read it, if it was this thread or another, But im wondering why its not a good idea to connect to LED drivers in Parallel, E.g a meanwell 185 c500 Variable voltage driver, contant current driver, current of 500ma, Connecting 2 in parallel,making the current 1a.

As im in the process of ordering parts for a cob LED light im making to add to my current LED grow.

I also was looking at some Epistar Cob LEDS with drivers that go for about 15us shipping from Aliexpress/Alibaba, The drivers are only 1500ma, when the LEDs can handle 3a, thats something im looking for, But at the same time saving money, on a student budget. Anyone have any luck with these type of COB LEDS, I have read alot of positive results from Cree cobs, but they are way out of my prices range.

Any info would be much appreciated.
I would go Vero before epistar blurple junk. You get what you pay for. Vero 29 are like $30 and the meanwell driver is $64 and you can run 4 veros @1400ma and it would make you a 207 watt panel

C

CannaBuilding

I would go Vero before epistar blurple junk. You get what you pay for. Vero 29 are like $30 and the meanwell driver is $64 and you can run 4 veros @1400ma and it would make you a 207 watt panel

I guess you right, I'd be better off saving my money and going for something that is quality compared to some Epistar junk with some junk chinese no name driver, I might just invest in on of those epistar junk for my veg cab and see how it goes, have some spare CPU HSF around and will slap one together for under 12USD with shipping, but like you said you get what you pay for.

Thank you for the info mate much appreciated.

Dion

How much under powered at the full 700ma? About 50% right?
And which is better to use: the Meanwell HLG-185H-C700A or the Meanwell HLG-185H-C700B? What's the difference?

Is it possibly better for each cob to have its own driver?
http://m.alibaba.com/product/434631183/Constant-Current-Dimmable-LED-Driver-50W.html?s=p
I know that may be a silly question but I'm a newb at electricity.
Do you have a Link to where you got those cobs, or a link to reputable website with a decent deal on 8 of them?

72v version @ 700mA
36v version @ 1400mA( same thing)
the version A has an internal pentameter( u can adjust the current) the B you will have to adjust and rig up one externally

the reason i put a cob on each driver is because i havnt found those meanwells at a decent price in europe- u should get the HGL

@RS you able to answer any questions or just promote your build? lol

REALSTYLES

72v version @ 700mA
36v version @ 1400mA( same thing)
the version A has an internal pentameter( u can adjust the current) the B you will have to adjust and rig up one externally

the reason i put a cob on each driver is because i havnt found those meanwells at a decent price in europe- u should get the HGL

@RS you able to answer any questions or just promote your build? lol
Your spelling sucks it's potentiometer and I promote you can build one too. It must suck that you can't grow like me I'm in Cali with a card lol

Yozzie

Thanks for the time and effort REALSTYLES.

I get the rationale behind it.
I'm all for the cost savings.
I dig the control over build quality and efficiencies.

... but DIY shit scares the crap out of me ... just a little phobia I need to deal with :)

Seeing the 'paint-by-numbers' tutorial is a little slice of therapy ...

REALSTYLES

say guys here's a taste of my new lights

picture.php

picture.php

Haven't test power draw or umols yet but I will in the next day or two

psyphish

Veteran
That fixture looks sexy as hell, very modern. I went the "cheap" way and bought another 315w CDM fixture. I wonder which type of lighting is better.

Kaabon

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's kind of a pain to read through hundreds of pages to get a detailed guide. Looks sleek for such a minimal design too. This makes it easy enough for anybody that can solder to make. What size tent are you running it in?

If you wanted to get a little more out of your heatsink, the amount of thermal paste you are using is actually insulating the heat instead of allowing it to transfer. The goop is to fill the tiny gaps in the material so it increases the surface area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST61g3hnIs the amount she uses is perfect. Instead of the amount of pressure the cpu gets, just twist it side to side a bit.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
RealS, looks like you are addicted to making COBs and need to grow cannabis just to support your DIY LED habit. :)