What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

limegreenlimey

Maui Mist sounds good from the Description, but is there a hidden NL, or a hidden Skunk probably?

So, no verdict on this Maui mist from my Side.
pic:
View attachment 18720663
I used to grow this, in 96-97. It was an excellent strain. Not too hard to grow. Slightly susceptible to bud rot. Happy in a warm grow room and hydro. I can't tell you any more about its lineage than the info on euseedfinder. Bought the seeds on recommendation from someone in a grow shop in Amsterdam. The smoke was balanced and fairly psychedelic. Very popular! People would BEG me to sell them these buds but i was never a dealer, so I might share a joint with them but largely kept my stash strictly for personal use. I would grow this again in a flash.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
been a bit senor big herb….. excuse absence
sounds like a bait n tackle buddy.. lol …. as controversy continues….said in my limited experience ….

truthfully never saw that fuller formed flowers….(like seen on TH examples/which remind me of what the Sk#1 might have introduced as both were commonplace in the county)…..typically more of a braided rope formed flower….which for myself would indicate SEAsian influence… these plants rarely showed any violet influence and could run on in flower through new yr…. and some if cradled with grnhse would reveg into following spring….the highs were multi dimensional and right pheno …special….this variant was not widely preferred by few growing because of its inability to actually finish at once like Colombian side…the violet shades which were enticing to those at the time along with its social upbeat high/great flavor that put one on cruise control of feeling good about life…great bodysurfing gear….slight dreamy comedown …

now I had two sources in later 70’s…. one was local Watsonville head/Rick …who seeds were obtained from…he preferred breeding the purple Col side/label comes from him…other brothers from Boulder Creek I met through my older step bro who was importing mucho bows from HI….

In potential recombinations of supposed origins……limitless…but in a nutshell I have yet to get back to those highs…..because many of those today with the haze moniker are true to growth type, but always seem to lack yesterdays highs….. not saying it doesn’t exist just need to get busy in search like many others…

and always in thanks for those who started this cross… those who continue the work… and all who see the need to reclaim the heirloom highs that made ganja what it’s known for……..

haze on………

sweeeeet Mac…. beautiful plant…..!…. you said best…if the high …. no sedation por favor….

PlasmaTube

At it again...Todd's/Sam's...AG Seeds Hz, lol. Looking for more of that pepper, spice, savory cerebral heavy duty Hz.

These were gifted seeds from Todd ..5/5 popped 5/5 came up. Germ rates are solid as last time I ran his pack.

Anyone have opinion of the OHz Purple pheno from Todd/AG? I want to pop that packs as well but wanted some grower insight as of recent grows.

Thanks and peace!

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_085515.jpg
    IMG_20231122_085515.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Enjoy! I'm hoping to get some of Todds beans soon to play with.. I found very nice haze hybrids of the representation that you describe, in the Island sweet skunk x incense haze that Chimera released. Maybe ask him if he has left still? Heavy duty yielders too, and resistant to molds and usual crap. Big variation in flowering times, almost like one would find from a haze hybrid f2, also variation in trigger dates, one wanted to really only get going in flowering during the winter solstice, but was a 9-10 weeker, where as others longer flowering but early triggering, and some 9 weekers and normal time of triggering outdoors. But the haze presence very strong on them, those church and incense terps, as well curry, indian spices and pepper, and savoury terps was also to be found in that line, outliers of bubblegum terps from the NL5 in there i'm guessing.

Literally seemed to me how that cross grew out, that it was a (HazeA Nl5 x something else) x haze A nl5, which is basically supposed to be with the something else being sweet pink grapefruit. Grows out just that that cross would, individuals lean to haze A church incense and spices, or haze A citrus, or haze A bubblegum..lots of those haze A genes in there that you are looking for.

elanius

Veteran
Enjoy! I'm hoping to get some of Todds beans soon to play with.. I found very nice haze hybrids of the representation that you describe, in the Island sweet skunk x incense haze that Chimera released. Maybe ask him if he has left still? Heavy duty yielders too, and resistant to molds and usual crap. Big variation in flowering times, almost like one would find from a haze hybrid f2, also variation in trigger dates, one wanted to really only get going in flowering during the winter solstice, but was a 9-10 weeker, where as others longer flowering but early triggering, and some 9 weekers and normal time of triggering outdoors. But the haze presence very strong on them, those church and incense terps, as well curry, indian spices and pepper, and savoury terps was also to be found in that line, outliers of bubblegum terps from the NL5 in there i'm guessing.

Literally seemed to me how that cross grew out, that it was a (HazeA Nl5 x something else) x haze A nl5, which is basically supposed to be with the something else being sweet pink grapefruit. Grows out just that that cross would, individuals lean to haze A church incense and spices, or haze A citrus, or haze A bubblegum..lots of those haze A genes in there that you are looking for.
Spot on description of the SS x Incense Haze, I was just recently thinking to grow a bean or two from this line. The best plants were really great in effect, it has the haze magic while begin very very potent. For me, the strange pheno and the most potent one smelled like dill pickles, I hated that smell. But the high was borderline insane, total lost of control. I really dont remember any other strain doing this. The other interesting pheno smelled like wild-forest strawberries, not the most potent but very under the radar, social high. The pheno I kept for a bit was pure church incense, euphoric and very enjoyable strong smoke.
Hope you dont mind a slight correction in the lineage, this is not an Island Sweet Skunk, which is different strain (I think White Widow hybrid). Its Sweet Skunk #10 x Incense Haze (bagseed from NY piff).

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
OK apologies, going way off the thread topic now but I just did some reading and found this I think written by Chi, and seems that maybe we are both right..you right and half right for me at least hahaha..either way, I think from growing them out, I would comfortably make two assumptions, that the S1 was from the piff and the piff was an old HazeAxNl5, and that the sweet skunk also has haze in it, if not the same line as the piff S1. It grows out just like an f2 with something extra added would. But more than 50% are the zinger hazey for dazey churchy spicey plants so one assumes that line is doubled up in the cross and dominant. The double edge leaf sawtooth is strong too, as was too in some of the other piff s1 crosses, I grew a few out so saw what the line brought to the table. In the SS cross the haze was dialed right up compared to the rest, even more so than the jack cross considerably which surprised me. I bred with the SS cross too and the haze qualities were very truebreeding, the soaring high and the haze terps. One will find those plants in the line if one wants a production haze with haze terps and the kick to the clouds with also a reasonable flowering time.

"Sweet Skunk

Sweet ‘Skunk’ is a misnomer; it’s not a skunk at all. there is nothing skunky about the Sweet Skunk, it’s a Haze variant. Sweet Skunk was originally introduced by Spice of Life Seeds in 1994. The heritage was listed as Sensi Seed’s Big Skunk x Sweet Pink Grapefruit (a.k.a. Grapefruit) at the time, but Breeder Steve later speculated that the father was likely a NL x Haze male rather than a Big Skunk. This makes sense; the Southeast Asian “Hazey” bud structure is hard to ignore. Apparently, Steve had obtained two trays of clones for a grow, one labeled “Big Skunk” and the other “NL x Haze.” Upon planting and flowering the clones, one of the trays turned out to have a male that pollinated the crop, producing the seeds sold as Sweet Skunk. (Sometimes unplanned hybridization can yield outstanding individuals.) F1 seeds were planted, and an extreme sativa-leaning selection (SS #10) was chosen out of a roomful of indica-dominant girls. This clone is now known in BC as the original Sweet Skunk clone.
I don’t believe the SS/grapefruit thing myself, the chain of custody on the SS #10 clone is suspect, despite the claims. I did some preliminary
DNA work years ago, and believe them to not be directly related. More DNA work is being done on both plants, so the unbiased story will be told once and for all shortly.
ISS is Federation’s version of a
hybrid using the SS #10 clone, reportedly. The progeny are nice, but not like the original clone. The speculations/reports that I have heard are that the ISS is a white widow x SS hybrid. All of our Sweet Skunk hybrid seeds, and the Lemon Cello S1, are derived purely from SS#10."

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
wow , a blast from the Past

speaking of British Hempire , I met him online about 15 years ago

he went by the nic of BigBuddha over at the Cabana…newby at that time and he was living with his parents over in Northern England , if I recall correctly

he was very limited on space and flowered most his plants in 16 ounce beer cups

i sent him a lot of different seeds through the years and then he went off the rails and we had to ban him at TCC

next thing I knew , he was selling seeds under British Hempire

i said all that to say this , I couldn’t believe he was arguing with Sam and other pioneers on this thread

amazing that his ego was sooooo big that he thought he knew more than Sam or Shanti and a few other pioneers

but yeah , I don’t know if that means anything and I don’t really care but I wanted this fact to be on the record , British Hempire was BigBuddha at the Cabana

otherwise I am chuffed at starting some seeds I received form Clips and Muggles back in the day , some OT1 Haze , some of Clips Wraith and a few other Colombians.

I have heard some rumors that someone found a really stinky skunk from some seeds called VASkunk over on the east coast and may the closest thing to RKS in a long time

we shall see

cheers
big

harvestreaper

Veteran
20231125_073711.jpg

20231125_073716.jpg

todd x mac 7 checked my notes 19 weeks so chopped she looks like coulda gone longer but wernt a good grow ,,so ill try a cut see if it any quicker
20230801_174527 (2).jpg

on the subject of sweet skunk ,,this is what i been calling sk/nl haze it is in fact sweetsk x nl and the mother i used was just like my favourite old skunks not roadkill great daytime weed fruity and up really been enjoying the cross

Dirt Life

Veteran
Authentic Genetics (Todd) - Original Haze... around 2-3 weeks in.

Plant 1
full

full

Plant 2
full

full

Someone here, I want to think it was harvestreaper, mentioned varigation in one, or a couple, of their Todd's Haze... one of mine showed that as well. She has since grown out of it.. and for me, it was upping the Nitrogen. Greened her up nice. Great, hazy smells on these gals...

full

alvin88

Yours are super far ahead of mine for the same time @Dirt Life 🫨 Maybe because I flowered my seedling at 3 weeks old?

Mine at exactly 3 weeks of 11/13 lighting are just now throwing pistils. All 5 seem to be very similar as far as phenotype goes so far. We'll see once the flowers develop.

20231213_210633.jpg
20231213_210736.jpg

This is an experiment in keeping small hazes/sativas. I topped and flowered this seedling on the same day at the 2nd node (allowing the plant to mature to 6-7 nodes first)
Look at that stretch!
20231120_170647.jpg

Last edited:

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey harvestreaper! Thanks for the clarification... my bad. Maybe it was funkyhorse? I dunno, but someone did talk about it, with pics.

Hey alvin88! Youre exactly right... My Todd's haze plants were sexually mature when thrown into flower, which is why they look farther along.. no sweat, yours are coming around nicely! 👍

PlasmaTube

Speaking of phenos, a grower I know popped multiple packs to hunt Todd's Hz. He is finding some interesting terp profiles. Haze related (spice, savory, incense, pure frankincense, ocean soap, Jack terp, and street haze "piffy" deep musk types of smells. What are some common things people are finding in their packs? I've encounters spice/pepper, and savory/meaty the most.

What structural differences are y'all getting?

Running the purple pheno in veg. First time running that specific one from Todd. Any cool finds out of that pheno line?

PS ...Haze will never not be the shit ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts