What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Airloom

Veteran
Man Sam you HAVE TO write a book about your experiences and don't say you don't have time for it, I will loved to read it, like fear and loathing in las vegas, you where on the top of the wave of the cannabis generation at that time. You can not let us stay like these.
you where on the top of the wave

HST quote is a fave of mine.
Old thread for an old dude.
I’m convinced Sam’s karma is Kool, but most sentient beings miss the expression of pure disappointment in Sam’s recollection of his “gifting” seeds to Neville.

That story rings true to me as someone who was alive when the “counter culture” as HST wrote about it so eloquently was poised to shatter the whole US economic system.

Back in those days, if you ran into someone who was obviously a beginner or “novice” you would NEVER insult them or get superior to them, you would SHARE your good fortune with a stranger from your abundance. It was then and remains a concept that meshes perfectly with the HST quote about riding the crest of a wave.

Let’s not forget that HST goes on to say you can see where the wave broke……that would be the moment when Neville broke his word to Sam and to many today that’s pure sentimentalism but for those of us old enough to have experienced the best of those years, it’s karma baby.

Yes the gift is in the giving and once given is no longer yours. It still hurts when they let you down.

Nobody knows you when you’re down and out…

Great thread and I’m still looking for the O Haze or wacky weed……

harvestreaper

Veteran
20220901_133010.jpg

was given a lovely bit of 10 month cured outdoor todds haze 3 today and ive come over all
cmon less go

RingtailCanyon

@Sam_Skunkman Wouldn't this contradict that Original Haze is 100% Colombian?

If U dont mind me asking Sam,which of those diff coloured Ohaze's stood out at the time as the best taste or smoke? Obviously youve developed the OHaze over the years to have the traits you wanted stabilised,but looking back was there a particular plant from a particular year that was exceptional for you and why?

To be honest the purple Hazes were maybe stronger but not as clear or as up and high. I liked the lime greens with maybe a bit of Thai blood. I do remember a med dark purp Haze that tasted just like root beer, amazing. I also had a Kerala that tasted just like Vics Metholated it was Camphor for sure, strong as hell but not as clear as I like.
I grew mex seeds from a bag of weed in 1965.

-SamS

RingtailCanyon

Tom Hill and Neville said that haze reminds them of the best thais and sam is saying that original haze was 100% colombian, but here says it has a bit of Thai in it? Well, which is it? There's a post from Sam saying he got different info from the different haze brothers. So how does he know it was 100% Colombian? Most old timers say that Thai Stick was the best.

sbeanonnamellow

From the posts I've seen on Icmag about the original haze from Todd, it looks pretty quintessential haze to me in both morphology, time to maturity, and effect (based on member reports).

Do you have links suggesting otherwise? I haven't seen any original haze looking as you describe, but of course I haven't seen it all. Genuinely curious as I have some of these seeds too. Much love

Last edited:

unnamedmike

From the posts I've seen in Icmag about the original haze from Todd, it looks pretty quintessential haze to me in both morphology, time to maturity, and effect (based on member reports).

Do you have links suggesting otherwise? I haven't seen any original haze looking as you describe, but of course I haven't seen it all. Genuinely curious as I have some of these seeds too. Much love
I would gladly share my post with photos of my 30 todd haze, but they were edited or deleted by some moderator... and I imagine that if I upload them again the same thing will happen.
Luckily I can compare and there is a world of difference with ohaze the seedsman, or madmac. Todd's are definitely hybrids.

sbeanonnamellow

I think I remember the post you made, but I don't remember seeing flowering plants. Were they still in veg with respect to the picture you're talking about or did you take them to full maturity?

The pictures from members here on Icmag of Sam's Haze via Todd finished to maturity don't look like hybrids to me. I don't think you're just making things up just to make them up, but at the same time I haven't seen anyone else's haze from Todd look like like something other than I would expect haze to look like. They all look quintessential haze.

I did, however, have some concerns about purity of some of his lines when I noticed that he seemingly pollinated some different females while making some of the NL seeds. In my opinion, that's not the smartest move considering the potential for an intersex female plant to find it's way in the mix and unintentionally muddy up the pure lines being reproduced.

I still purchased the Original Haze, NL#2, NL#5, and Purest Indica anyways, but I definitely have that in the back of my mind. If I'm making NL#2 pure reproductions, there's no way I'm flowering anything else out around it because of potential contamination. It's just not worth it in my opinion, but not everyone takes the same approach. Bummed to hear you didn't have the experience you envisioned and anticipated with your original haze seeds, truly. I'd love to get some Johnny's and Golli's haze via Mac via proseeds, and they're definitely on the list of seeds to get. Different selections for sure, maybe even different seedlots, who knows! Either way, I appreciate the conversation and hope you are having a lovely day. Do you think the pack you got might have gotten mislabeled or do you think the genetics aren't pure as an entire lot? Much love

Last edited:

stiff

Veteran
Hey stiff 🫡 the haze from agseeds is not the real deal. Lots of indica phenotypes, males with intersex traits, not even the seeds look alike, they are huge compared to real haze seeds. proseeds is a better option if you are looking for ohaze.
I hear you, i'm about to find out soon. I hope to find at least a few useful plants for my purposes and I'd be a happy man.
Would you mind shooting me a pm where to get those proceeds? Id like to check them out too. Cheers,stiff

unnamedmike

I think I remember the post you made, but I don't remember seeing flowering plants. Were they still in veg with respect to the picture you're talking about or did you take them to full maturity?

The pictures from members here on Icmag of Sam's Haze via Todd finished to maturity don't look like hybrids to me. I don't think you're just making things up just to make them up, but at the same time I haven't seen anyone else's haze from Todd look like like something other than I would expect haze to look like. They all look quintessential haze.

I did, however, have some concerns about purity of some of his lines when I noticed that he seemingly pollinated some different females while making some of the NL seeds. In my opinion, that's not the smartest move considering the potential for an intersex female plant to find it's way in the mix and unintentionally muddy up the pure lines being reproduced.

I stills purchased the Original Haze, NL#2, NL#5, and Purest Indica anyways, but I definitely have that in the back of my mind. If I'm making NL#2 pure reproductions, there's no way I'm flowering anything else out around it because of potential contamination. It's just not worth it in my opinion, but not everyone takes the same approach. Bummed to hear you didn't have the experience you envisioned and anticipated with your original haze seeds. Truly. I'd love to get some Johnny's and Golli's haze via Mac via proseeds, and they're definitely on the list of seeds to get. Different selections for sure, maybe even different seedlots, who knows! Either way, I appreciate the conversation and hope you are having a lovely day.

Do you think the pack you got might have gotten mislabeled or do you think the genetics aren't pure as an entire lot? At first I thought that, or accidental pollination, but todd got really mad and started his rudeness just by asking, so I don't really know what happened. I think he crossed too many varieties at once and the inevitable happened, he was selling bastard seeds half priced on his website during his first two years as a seedmaker so ...

I think the photos you remember are from when my plants were growing, and I was excited about them. The second wave of photos were flowering plants, deleted. I'm uploading some of them again... I imagine you haven't seen bad reviews here towards Todd, because they were deleted, like my photos.
Of the 30 seeds, 4 hermi males and 6 textbook hybrid plants

Lovely day to you too mate 🖖

Todds "Ohaze"
IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1852-1.jpg
IMG_2038-1.jpg

Last edited:

sbeanonnamellow

Thanks for sharing unnamedmike, I would be disappointed if those were supposed to be original haze seeds too. The second picture isn't terrible, but definitely not what I would associate as original haze. That's a bummer dude, sorry for you to have to go through that experience. Taking your time and energy to put into something that isn't enjoyable or what you expected isn't that fun. Appreciate you for sharing and hope you find some lovely haze soon! Or that it finds you. Much love

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
@RingtailCanyon
Save the trouble Man, you will get nothing more than what has already been written, "as long as the story is told by the hunters, you will never hear an ode to the lion".
You will get answers like:
You weren't there, I was; or I know it well, I gave the seeds to the brothers, or things like: what do Nevil and Tom know?

Original Haze is a polyhybrid of unknown sativas, and that's what we will continue to tell our children, the rest is stories, myths and tales ....

sbeanonnamellow

Todd haze is a mix of pure haze and hybrids, you can see it from the various photos around, some are typical haze, others clearly hybrids ...
What do you think it's hybridized with?

By that, I mean to ask, do you think it's the same genetics as they've always been and it's just different selections and phenos showing at times or do you think that haze was hybridized with something other than the original inputs from the late 60's to early 70's? Much love

unnamedmike

Thanks for sharing unnamedmike, I would be disappointed if those were supposed to be original haze seeds too. The second picture isn't terrible, but definitely not what I would associate as original haze. That's a bummer dude, sorry for you to have to go through that experience. Taking your time and energy to put into something that isn't enjoyable or what you expected isn't that fun. Appreciate you for sharing and hope you find some lovely haze soon! Or that it finds you. Much love
Thank you very much for understanding the situation, I really appreciate your words. On some occasion I have had problems with the seeds from other seed banks, and they were always solved without further mishap, easy comunicacion. In this case it couldn't be like that...

JC seedsman ohaze * golli90 ohaze from madmac
IMG_3415-1 copy.jpg
IMG_3417-1 copy.jpg
IMG_3418-1 copy.jpg