What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I hope its not way off topic but what about the building of the panama canal? In the 1880ies you had people from about 95 nations migrate there for work and some never went back. People from the carribbean, india, china, turkey, greece, spain. I wonder how that contributed to the meso and southamerican genepool.
Yes, Of course...
Many different varieties mixed by the years...

harvestreaper

Veteran
20220712_112730.jpg

haze corner

OntologicalTurn

I hope its not way off topic but what about the building of the panama canal? In the 1880ies you had people from about 95 nations migrate there for work and some never went back. People from the carribbean, india, china, turkey, greece, spain. I wonder how that contributed to the meso and southamerican genepool.
It is an interesting topic, and I cannot speak so much about South America, because in fact Panama and Colombia used to be a single country (along with Venezuela), and clearly Panama shares history with the Anglo-Caribbean, even having shared ethnic groups such as the Garifunas (very good people, visit the garífuna town of Livingston, in Guatemala and I have friends there) that extend from the island of San Vicente near Venezuela to Belize, and they have a very interesting history because they are descendants of Africans who were never slaves, because the shipwreck, and were adopted by the indigenous Arawak tribe, have their own language based on Arawak, and use cannabis extensively in tobacco leaf blunts, and use it in a traditional stimulant alcoholic beverage along with other mysterious plants.

And it is clear that there are Indian influences on cannabis in the Anglo and Dutch Caribbean, even Rastas call cannabis ganja, and I read somewhere that the founder of Rastafarianism, Leonard Howell, along with many Jamaicans lived and worked in Panama for the construction of the canal, others later settled in Limon, Costa Rica. But in the case of Mexico at least, and Guatemala, (with the exception of livingston which is the only black settlement in Guatemala, there was not much cultural exchange with South America or the Anglo Caribbean (except for some pirate expeditions) if there was enough exchange with Cuba, on the other hand

Goodherb

It is an interesting topic, and I cannot speak so much about South America, because in fact Panama and Colombia used to be a single country (along with Venezuela), and clearly Panama shares history with the Anglo-Caribbean, even having shared ethnic groups such as the Garifunas (very good people, visit the garífuna town of Livingston, in Guatemala and I have friends there) that extend from the island of San Vicente near Venezuela to Belize, and they have a very interesting history because they are descendants of Africans who were never slaves, because the shipwreck, and were adopted by the indigenous Arawak tribe, have their own language based on Arawak, and use cannabis extensively in tobacco leaf blunts, and use it in a traditional stimulant alcoholic beverage along with other mysterious plants.

And it is clear that there are Indian influences on cannabis in the Anglo and Dutch Caribbean, even Rastas call cannabis ganja, and I read somewhere that the founder of Rastafarianism, Leonard Howell, along with many Jamaicans lived and worked in Panama for the construction of the canal, others later settled in Limon, Costa Rica. But in the case of Mexico at least, and Guatemala, (with the exception of livingston which is the only black settlement in Guatemala, there was not much cultural exchange with South America or the Anglo Caribbean (except for some pirate expeditions) if there was enough exchange with Cuba, on the other hand
Yes, you have a working knowledge of Gurifunas/Carinagos . Was born on the island of saint(San Vicente) Vincent and the grenadines, historic home of many of this displace people. Many still here .
Herb is strong influence on your people.

OntologicalTurn

Yes, you have a working knowledge of Gurifunas/Carinagos . Was born on the island of saint(San Vicente) Vincent and the grenadines, historic home of many of this displace people. Many still here .
Herb is strong influence on your people.
Wow Binafi! (is it said like that?) very nice people, their traditional food is fantastic, her traditions (what I was able to hear being from outside) are very deep, they have magical drums. I find her story fascinating.

The last time I came across some Garifunas was in the desert of San Luis Potosí in Mexico. I had gone for peyote and they were waiting for the migrant train, which tragically passes through the sacred desert of Wirikuta. I saw two Afro rastas walking on the tracks and I yelled at them "Garinagu, buiti binafi!" and they felt proud and happy to know that I knew a little about their culture, two Garifunas from Honduras, I shared with them the food I had and a joint I was carrying. I hope theyhave traveled well on their way north. it is extremely dangerous.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts