What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

harvestreaper

Veteran
To comment on original haze you have to grow original haze...hhhhmmm....I wonder if sam considers some of the things people call original haze as original haze....I know only flying dutch man through sam had the ligit original haze...not sure anyone else was given permission those times

anyone can comment on haze but if youve not grown it just sounds daft as its just whimsical chatter ,i mean a haze hybrids haze pheno that lets say is longer flo than a pure haze pheno does not equate to it being more or the same as a pure haze,hempy appeared to struggle with that ,,,ive seen many haze hybrids that had long flo some longer than pure hazes what does it mean ,,,nothing

JohnnyChicago

i find hempy oversensitive and disagreeable but,,im disappointed to hear hes banned i would not ban him myself freedom of speech is important to me

Freedom of speech?
Insults are not even a form of speech...
But I hope it's only temporary and he will be back soon.
Times are not easy right now. Many do not have the peace they usually have.

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Having grown and crossed enough stuff, and a few haze hybrids, but not talking about that..as soon as you are into f2 generation and later and also once polyhydridized and a few generations down, outliers pop out and some have extremely long flowering times..All these modern strains/plants decend from tropical sativas at some point in time, most even the "indicas" these days have some colombian or thai in them deep in their ancestry..and sometimes that one in a hundred or thousand pop out that express genetic combinations that express that ancestor out..Haze itself a hybrid and I am sure ancestral lines of that had some extremely long flowering time sativas like the half a year to never finish thais etc.. so those pop out sometimes..In a white label doublegum pack after sensi lost the original bubblegum parents (or whoever was making seed for them) that looked for sure like an f2 or later of what I used to get from them, in among the short flower girls each with some aspect of the bubblegum but none enough in one, there was the sativa freak that had pink hairs and was very much like a panama or south american sativa and took 12-14 weeks to finish that was floral, perfume, incense and sour, no bubblegum but a soaring super strong anti anxiety high..wierd amazing plant, some throwback to ancestor lines, same as wold pop out I'd guess from haze and her hybrids, her still being a hybrid.

Remember still that the magic colombian gold that laid the foundation for the haze was itself a naturalized hybrid that was the result of the best plants form around the world being collected for over 50 years and grown out at the US agricultural research station in the mountains of colombia and then being abandoned and interbreeding naturally and being heavily selected for those that would survive the humidity..but it was made up of thai and other asian stuff and african possibly and south american and selected out afghans and indi's (due to humidity) but their genes would still be in there somewhere..anyway after the station was abandoned post WW2 in the time before the hippies came through and discovered the amazing mountain pot in the surrounding areas and took it home to santa cruz, the stuff all interbred and what survived survived and those villages in the area had the worlds best herb with no one to share it with..until the hippies found them while making a surf movie/hash/seed search..as far as I can make out the history, the rest is history..yeah and hybridize that they found with other pot available, into haze and then cross and f2 and and and i see some wierd things might pop out..

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
That took a while before he was banned.Better for him to cool off if this ban is temporary.

Back on topic
Back in the days I had spicy phenotypes what I can remember with OHz, seedsman's OHz I've not much grown, but for the 5% you need specimens to make a judgement.Anyone found woody incense like phenotypes in Seedsman's?

JohnnyChicago

Back on topic
Back in the days I had spicy phenotypes what I can remember with OHz, seedsman's OHz I've not much grown, but for the 5% you need specimens to make a judgement.Anyone found woody incense like phenotypes in Seedsman's?

My first impressions in 2015 after growing Seedsman OH for the first time.
(The post was a response to Bigherb on the incense)

The females do all have old school spicy wood aromas, but I have more seeds left and I have found a male "the sexiest" that has a very distinctive dark odor, the same kind of smell that I had experienced 10 years ago on a Kali Mist that was like pure frankincense. But I haven't flowered him our yet.

TheDarkStorm

„ even those selfings were tested in evry combination..doubled up..trippled up...wat ever you can think of was done“
BULLSHIT!!!

you think so and tell peeps that’s the truth LOOOOOOL
not true what you tell here!
plz correct... where did you know that from -> source
you where there @ TheDarkStorm ???
no you was not there!
i know that and that what you have written is wrong...
dann all time again peep‘s try to make a story about haze that is not true!

P.S. and don‘t tell you know that from xyz who was there.... LOL

Mac seeds were made of the stuff...why do you think its bs....did you know combinations like 5ac(1) x hz sq (a) an so on were done...there were many combinations of just thiz alone..nh was made multiple different ways too with different a5's..I never seen the actual mating being done...but I was around at the time and I saw seeds coming out...some of wich still survive...was you ther...how would you know its not true....I know how nevil worked....I have listings of his last made stuff too...therz many many combinations of nh xmm alone...like probably 10-15...if not more..ive even seen were he's done mm and putit back to itself and that back to its self and seeds exist of this aswel.

TheDarkStorm

I am sure you are not meaning me.
As I did smoke Original Haze before Nevils Haze hybrids got sold into the Coffeeshops.
Did smoke Seedsman OH for the last time yesterday.
And in between almost 3 decades of mostly Haze smoking.

You can try asking Sam for the DNA results. But for myself the fasciated phenos we are seeing here and there are enough.

SamS post from 2015...

No johnny...im actually impressed with wat youve done..I went back an seen wat you originally started with an the years you put into this....wat youve given star crash looks old school...an I seen your fasiated female...reminds of sams 90's haze....

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No johnny...im actually impressed with wat youve done..I went back an seen wat you originally started with an the years you put into this....wat youve given star crash looks old school...an I seen your fasiated female...reminds of sams 90's haze....

picture.php
picture.php

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS ... I hope hempy is allowed back soon..warts & all... My first incarnation here was in 2004 my name was ~nexus~ & I was banned by the Dutch-grown bitch (because she didn’t like me) ha ha... Had a lot of friends back then they were very pissed off

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I never understood why people find that incense aroma so delicious(obviously it's a matter of taste, I know :D ), the first time I tried this flavor it disgusted me, in the true sense of the word LOL
I haven't found this flavor in original haze yet, but I found it in oldtimer haze, ot1haze x thai, Nl5hz, and also in afghan landrace....

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hopefully they let hempy back eventually. Be nice if banning could be thread specific. He was really on about the haze wow.

@starcrash I just love that pic, looks like a gorgeous mop of narrow leaf gold!

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I never understood why people find that incense aroma so delicious(obviously it's a matter of taste, I know :D ), the first time I tried this flavor it disgusted me, in the true sense of the word LOL
I haven't found this flavor in original haze yet, but I found it in oldtimer haze, ot1haze x thai, Nl5hz, and also in afghan landrace....

Its a divine aroma of the ancients, thats why they use the resin of frankincense in catholic church, so you're closer to the One who brought us here, but interesting you found this type of aroma in an Afghan landrace and which one actually?:rasta:

elanius

Veteran
it is not only about how strong odor is. A5hz has strong odor, yet quite plain, and not so rich like some phenos of original haze. richness in this case doesn't mean quantity - how much, but quality - another degree which changes whole system, scale of nuances, spectrum, palette, variability of terps in one sample. it is really better to grow some of it, than comment on it without straight experience. I didn't say it is not possible to create this kind of richness in hybrid, I only said that I grew plenty, and some are close, but none of them was same quality, still degree under it.

Interesting discussion about terps of Ohaze...I had this conversation with fellow grower the other day and I totally agree with this. For example, the complexity of (Seedsman) OHaze is astounding to me. Not all phenos I must say, but some are definitely level above others and after just a short cure, they are starting to shine. I would say that 3 / 13 plants have amazing terps, but one plant is another level. When you first smell the bud, it has classic haze musky sour metallic aroma, but the longer you keep it at the nose, the more complex terps seems to be going off it. My gf has amazing palate, she often point out a distinctive smell and when I gave her my favorite pheno, after some intense sniffing session she just told me it smells like the whole world :biggrin:

The main aroma is sweet and sour metallic citrus and chocolate with incredible background of pine, wood, spring forest meadow and a lot of other things, such a bright aroma, words cannot describe it...its so sharp and penetrating smell, it feels like its beaming directly into middle of my brain lol. It has the quality of sticking to the fingers, feels greasy, resin is very sticky...and then, you smell the church all over the place, fascinating what cannabis can do with the terps..This is the reward of dedicating to the strain, running more plants to find something special. Amazing plant all around, just very hard to grow, stretching like crazy all the time and flowering for eternity. Still, well worth it!
picture.php
picture.php

elanius

Veteran
That took a while before he was banned.Better for him to cool off if this ban is temporary.

Back on topic

This phenos dried buds smells like incense (apart other things), but this one is the most incense/woody/pine smell from the lot. So its definitely in the Seedsman line.
picture.php

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
@elanius :really beautiful plants!!!

@mexcurandero it was my afghani landrace NLD, mother of afghani x pan-o-haze...
Some rainbow bridge specimens do, too, probably due to ot1haze and original haze in genetics ...
However it is a flavor that I really don't like and I usually try to eliminate in the crosses I make ....

Its a divine aroma of the ancients, thats why they use the resin of frankincense in catholic church, so you're closer to the One who brought us here, but interesting you found this type of aroma in an Afghan landrace and which one actually?:rasta:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure Hempy only got a time out. It requires a lot to get a perma ban.

Interesting discussion about terps of Ohaze...I had this conversation with fellow grower the other day and I totally agree with this. For example, the complexity of (Seedsman) OHaze is astounding to me. Not all phenos I must say, but some are definitely level above others and after just a short cure, they are starting to shine. I would say that 3 / 13 plants have amazing terps, but one plant is another level. When you first smell the bud, it has classic haze musky sour metallic aroma, but the longer you keep it at the nose, the more complex terps seems to be going off it. My gf has amazing palate, she often point out a distinctive smell and when I gave her my favorite pheno, after some intense sniffing session she just told me it smells like the whole world
biggrin.gif

The main aroma is sweet and sour metallic citrus and chocolate with incredible background of pine, wood, spring forest meadow and a lot of other things, such a bright aroma, words cannot describe it...its so sharp and penetrating smell, it feels like its beaming directly into middle of my brain lol. It has the quality of sticking to the fingers, feels greasy, resin is very sticky...and then, you smell the church all over the place, fascinating what cannabis can do with the terps..This is the reward of dedicating to the strain, running more plants to find something special. Amazing plant all around, just very hard to grow, stretching like crazy all the time and flowering for eternity. Still, well worth it!
View Image View Image

I agree, its why I'm growing these. Its all pheno dependent. IMO Haze has terpenes that cant be found in other varieties. They add something truly special. I'm seeing this in most haze hybrids I've made so far. I'm gonna keep looking for plants that have these aromas to breed with. The smell/taste are blowing away everyone that's tried some. Its a lot easier for us to know quality that have experienced it like we use to have decades ago. All of the people that say the weed today is more potent has no clue. :D

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran

You probably never experienced the tasty side of the spectrum. A guy I know had haze from his Dad, probably acquired in the 70's originally.. So tasty, and very sage / incense smell to it, and delicious to most everyone.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive also found Frankincense in Afghan varieties including the Afghan OG cut from USA , and also in a few Afghan X's with zero Haze in the lineage.

Those old Afghans were real special not like todays Afghan you see around