What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Koondense

Veteran
@tomhill
Nah, tidal forces are always present no matter the environment we find ourselves in, the trouble is we tend to assume these forces have the same effect on tides of the sea and water in plants. This is where we tend to get it all wrong. The mechanism for the existence of tides is not so simple, for example there are tides only because the seas are all around the planet and connected while there is no tidal effect for waters in lakes. And these lakes still hold massive amounts of water and still no wiggling or bouncing of the surface except for winds doing their part and making waves.
I never did the calculations but have the feeling that a grower's presence near the plants amount for more gravitational disturbance compared to the massive moon in the sky, remember you heard it here first :) The bigger the grower the bigger the tide :D

Another thing, as you know there should be controled groups of plants or seeds in specific environments(designed experiments) to find out the real effect(or lack of it) of gravity changes on sprouting and general growth.
Regarding moonlight, that seems to be an obvious effect because there's light at night time involved, so the difference is much bigger to that of gravity differences and we know some sensitive photoperiod plants can behave differently with just minimum light disturbances.
Anyway, it could be a long debate but without proper research it would remain an unsolved topic as it still is.

My point is very simple. If you have an agricultural calendar(based on Maria Thun) and go see the detailed timelines which promote seed sprouting, greens growth, fruit development etc, you can easily see how silly it looks as it never takes the n account the most important factors such as temperatures of air and soil, soil type, latitude, cloud cover, humidity and so on... it's obvious it's all a tradition with no scientific basis, to me it looks like a cult or religion and i mean no offense to anyone.
I hope my post clarifies at least a bit what is the issue with these types of routines and methods you mentioned.

Cheers

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Not sure what I'll manage to get off her,I sure love watching her do her thing.

View Image
View ImageView ImageView ImageView Image

giphy.gif

Stonecutter

There is no relationship between the phase of the moon and change in proximity of the moon to the earth. It is the changes in proximity due to the elliptical orbit that account for the higher tide phenomena.
Today I was talking to a friend who works in Astronomy - there have been many studies on this with no proven results.
Light from the moon - the traditions of the harvest and hunter’s moon, have obvious substance.
I’m not saying the observations are wrong, but there is no gravitational change between the full and new moon.
Plus as above post says, the effects of gravity are only observed in truly massive bodies - the seas, not lakes.
Needs a better hypothesis to explain the effect.

sbeanonnamellow

@tomhill
Nah, tidal forces are always present no matter the environment we find ourselves in, the trouble is we tend to assume these forces have the same effect on tides of the sea and water in plants. This is where we tend to get it all wrong. The mechanism for the existence of tides is not so simple, for example there are tides only because the seas are all around the planet and connected while there is no tidal effect for waters in lakes. And these lakes still hold massive amounts of water and still no wiggling or bouncing of the surface except for winds doing their part and making waves.
I never did the calculations but have the feeling that a grower's presence near the plants amount for more gravitational disturbance compared to the massive moon in the sky, remember you heard it here first :) The bigger the grower the bigger the tide :D

Another thing, as you know there should be controled groups of plants or seeds in specific environments(designed experiments) to find out the real effect(or lack of it) of gravity changes on sprouting and general growth.
Regarding moonlight, that seems to be an obvious effect because there's light at night time involved, so the difference is much bigger to that of gravity differences and we know some sensitive photoperiod plants can behave differently with just minimum light disturbances.
Anyway, it could be a long debate but without proper research it would remain an unsolved topic as it still is.

My point is very simple. If you have an agricultural calendar(based on Maria Thun) and go see the detailed timelines which promote seed sprouting, greens growth, fruit development etc, you can easily see how silly it looks as it never takes the n account the most important factors such as temperatures of air and soil, soil type, latitude, cloud cover, humidity and so on... it's obvious it's all a tradition with no scientific basis, to me it looks like a cult or religion and i mean no offense to anyone.
I hope my post clarifies at least a bit what is the issue with these types of routines and methods you mentioned.

Cheers

Gravity is such a neat word. How gravity can be used to describe the feeling of being drawn in and close to something.

Anyone else notice plants perform better when you're around them often? Wonder if it's more than just being around to care for them and if it has something to do with "feeling near".

Almost how someones company can change the mood or feeling. Scared or nervous then a buddy or friend links up, it's easier to find comfort in that. Much love

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Gravity is such a neat word. How gravity can be used to describe the feeling of being drawn in and close to something.

Anyone else notice plants perform better when you're around them often? Wonder if it's more than just being around to care for them and if it has something to do with "feeling near".

Almost how someones company can change the mood or feeling. Scared or nervous then a buddy or friend links up, it's easier to find comfort in that. Much love

Put a Co2 meter in a room and hang out with the plants and check the logs afterwards..They love you hanging out with them, but its not only the irie vibes you are giving off.

sbeanonnamellow

Put a Co2 meter in a room and hang out with the plants and check the logs afterwards..They love you hanging out with them, but its not only the irie vibes you are giving off.

That's a good point! We live in symbiosis with one another. Plants give off oxygen to us and we are their feet! Transporting them across the globe, ect. Further than they would get by just wind and localized animals foraging across a given landscape, dispersing seed.

I read a book a while back titled The Secret Life of Plants and it suggested that plants have a way of connecting with us beyond what we might think is even possible. Unlimited distance they feel our intent type of stuff, to the moon and back. I can only imagine they feel it when we want to be near also.

Checking on a garden knowing they don't need food or water, or other work done, just going there to chill and be with them. To share the space and connect.

How often do you guys start into your gardens and have that conversation in your head, talking to them? Wishing them well, encouraging them. Maybe even asking for help, I know I have. There have been times throughout my life where I have been stressed out and going through some woes and noticed those conversations in my mind genuinely asking them for support. As if they're dear friends and family.

Plants are special man, they're absolutely fascinating and they have a special place in my heart. There's a big ass old tree down the street that I visit when I need cheering up, it's hundreds of years old and I'll go just to be close to it. To touch it, to hug it. Ok, who am I kidding I like to go there take a sunset in and smoke a fattie too. Imagining all the people who have watched it grow, generations upon generations of humans basking under the shade of the canopy or using it to shield them from the rain. Maybe even some old hippies back in the day smoking some imports under it, might have even been some original haze! Much love

mr.brunch

Veteran
One of the main reasons I’d love for weed to be legal here is so I could spend more time with the plants, both indoor and out.
Sucks to have to keep them shut away so much.

harvestreaper

Veteran
If all else consistant then yields should be too, our end year the light is amazing so outdoors would be the best harvest, with light dep..but Im in southern hemisphere..Indoors, should be 1g/w every ten weeks at least like clockwork..or something is off..but many things to possibly be off, but only so many.

i accept totally it was no scientific experiment without identical enviroments,and your reply is logical :tiphat:

harvestreaper

Veteran
There is no relationship between the phase of the moon and change in proximity of the moon to the earth. It is the changes in proximity due to the elliptical orbit that account for the higher tide phenomena.
Today I was talking to a friend who works in Astronomy - there have been many studies on this with no proven results.
Light from the moon - the traditions of the harvest and hunter’s moon, have obvious substance.
I’m not saying the observations are wrong, but there is no gravitational change between the full and new moon.
Plus as above post says, the effects of gravity are only observed in truly massive bodies - the seas, not lakes.
interesting post ive always believed gravity affects all mobile masses weather easily observable or not ?

harvestreaper

Veteran
Hmm.. the Great Lakes experience tides, it may only be a 5cm difference, but it still exists.

even our own internal mobile mass blood/water etc if you know any unmoderated chatrooms just watch all the characters express there spirits before the full moon,,its real interesting lol

Koondense

Veteran
Hmm.. the Great Lakes experience tides, it may only be a 5cm difference, but it still exists.

Not so sure how true is this.
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html

A link to a relevant study, shared by shiroshi(many thanks)

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4395/10/7/955/htm

Cheers

Tom Hill

Veteran
@tomhill

Cheers

I thought we agreed to not lump together hippie agricultural calendars with things like gravity and photoperiod lol. Mo betta you come up with a plausible explanation how it can be that these forces could not* have the same effect on all things subject to gravity eh.

Tom Hill

Veteran

When the moon is overhead things bulge lol. They bulge more during the new and full and most when all 3 marbles are aligned it is friggin hilarious to see men of science dispute these facts lol.

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
For those who didn't view the video Koondense provided a link to (very educational and entertaining), you have Neil deGrass Tyson, arguably the world's most famous astrophysicist, stating that the gravitational effect of the pillow you sleep on has about a trillion times more gravitational effect on your head than the moon does, because of its proximity - largely due to the inverse squared decrease in gravitational force over distance ( a similar decrease in strength over distance that light has, something we growers are very familiar with)

For those who didn't dig into the link Koondense provided, it is a Is a Recent (Agronomy 2020, 10(7), 955), Peer-Reviewed article on this subject, authored by 4 professors at the University of Vallencia.

What Has Been Thought and Taught on the Lunar Influence on Plants in Agriculture? Perspective from Physics and Biology:

The article is very detailed, referencing 129 other articles, and explaining in depth much of the details on this topic.

Here is the abstract:

"This paper reviews the beliefs which drive some agricultural sectors to consider the lunar influence as either a stress or a beneficial factor when it comes to organizing their tasks. To address the link between lunar phases and agriculture from a scientific perspective, we conducted a review of textbooks and monographs used to teach agronomy, botany, horticulture and plant physiology; we also consider the physics that address the effects of the Moon on our planet. Finally, we review the scientific literature on plant development, specifically searching for any direct or indirect reference to the influence of the Moon on plant physiology. We found that there is no reliable, science-based evidence for any relationship between lunar phases and plant physiology in any plant–science related textbooks or peer-reviewed journal articles justifying agricultural practices conditioned by the Moon. Nor does evidence from the field of physics support a causal relationship between lunar forces and plant responses. Therefore, popular agricultural practices that are tied to lunar phases have no scientific backing. We strongly encourage teachers involved in plant sciences education to objectively address pseudo-scientific ideas and promote critical thinking."

Here is the conclusion:

"Science has widely established different evidences: (i) the Moon’s gravity on the Earth cannot have any effect on the life cycle of plants due to the fact that it is 3.3 × 10?5 ms?2, almost 300,000 times lower that the Earth’s gravity; (ii) since all the oceans are communicated and we can consider their size being the size of the Earth, the Moon’s influence on the tides is 10?6 ms?2, but for a 2 m height plant such value is 3 × 10?13 ms?2 and, therefore, completely imperceptible; (iii) the Moon’s illuminance cannot have any effect on plant life since it is, at best, 128,000 times lower than the minimum of sunlight on an average day; (iv) the rest of possible effects of the Moon on the Earth (e.g., magnetic field, polarization of light) are non-existent.
The logical consequence of such evidence is that none of these effects appear in physics and biology reference handbooks. However, many of these beliefs are deeply ingrained in both agricultural traditions and collective imagery. This shows that more research should be undertaken on the possible effects observed on plants and assigned to the Moon by the popular belief, addressing their causes, if any. It would also be interesting to address these issues in both compulsory education and formal higher agricultural education in order to address pseudo-scientific ideas and promote critical thinking."

Enjoy!