What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Tom Hill

Veteran
For those who didn't view the video Koondense provided a link to (very educational and entertaining), you have Neil deGrass Tyson, arguably the world's most famous astrophysicist, stating that the gravitational effect of the pillow you sleep on has about a trillion times more gravitational effect on your head than the moon does, because of its proximity - largely due to the inverse squared decrease in gravitational force over distance ( a similar decrease in strength over distance that light has, something we growers are very familiar with)

For those who didn't dig into the link Koondense provided, it is a Is a Recent (Agronomy 2020, 10(7), 955), Peer-Reviewed article on this subject, authored by 4 professors at the University of Vallencia.

What Has Been Thought and Taught on the Lunar Influence on Plants in Agriculture? Perspective from Physics and Biology:

The article is very detailed, referencing 129 other articles, and explaining in depth much of the details on this topic.

Here is the abstract:

"This paper reviews the beliefs which drive some agricultural sectors to consider the lunar influence as either a stress or a beneficial factor when it comes to organizing their tasks. To address the link between lunar phases and agriculture from a scientific perspective, we conducted a review of textbooks and monographs used to teach agronomy, botany, horticulture and plant physiology; we also consider the physics that address the effects of the Moon on our planet. Finally, we review the scientific literature on plant development, specifically searching for any direct or indirect reference to the influence of the Moon on plant physiology. We found that there is no reliable, science-based evidence for any relationship between lunar phases and plant physiology in any plant–science related textbooks or peer-reviewed journal articles justifying agricultural practices conditioned by the Moon. Nor does evidence from the field of physics support a causal relationship between lunar forces and plant responses. Therefore, popular agricultural practices that are tied to lunar phases have no scientific backing. We strongly encourage teachers involved in plant sciences education to objectively address pseudo-scientific ideas and promote critical thinking."

Here is the conclusion:

"Science has widely established different evidences: (i) the Moon’s gravity on the Earth cannot have any effect on the life cycle of plants due to the fact that it is 3.3 × 10?5 ms?2, almost 300,000 times lower that the Earth’s gravity; (ii) since all the oceans are communicated and we can consider their size being the size of the Earth, the Moon’s influence on the tides is 10?6 ms?2, but for a 2 m height plant such value is 3 × 10?13 ms?2 and, therefore, completely imperceptible; (iii) the Moon’s illuminance cannot have any effect on plant life since it is, at best, 128,000 times lower than the minimum of sunlight on an average day; (iv) the rest of possible effects of the Moon on the Earth (e.g., magnetic field, polarization of light) are non-existent.
The logical consequence of such evidence is that none of these effects appear in physics and biology reference handbooks. However, many of these beliefs are deeply ingrained in both agricultural traditions and collective imagery. This shows that more research should be undertaken on the possible effects observed on plants and assigned to the Moon by the popular belief, addressing their causes, if any. It would also be interesting to address these issues in both compulsory education and formal higher agricultural education in order to address pseudo-scientific ideas and promote critical thinking."

Enjoy!

Yeah they conducted a review of textbooks instead of surfing sailing felling timber or growing plants for decades. Super impressed lol. Never said hippies were not out of control they most certainly are. Ok then let us disassemble what is left.

Tom Hill

Veteran
This bit of physics applies here but over there those same laws do not apply. Holy firesauce batman why didn't i think of that haha.

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
Tom, I've surfed, sailed, fished and watched the tides all my life. I suspect if I met you out on the water we might get along just fine. In no way am I disputing its existence, I rather feel like I revel in it.

We just have different understandings as to what causes tides and how they work.

Its obvious that I won't be able to influence your opinion, and that's cool - I never expected to, but for others of you who might be interested I'll repost the link to the video Koondense initially posted - it is well explained and entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBwNadry-TU

I'm out.

Enjoy!

Tom Hill

Veteran
Nothing the dude said is contrary to me. Except the bulge is most certainly not an imovable constant force he blew no minds

harvestreaper

Veteran
todds haze pheno 5 @ 14 weeks
picture.php

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haze tips appreciated

Haze tips appreciated

basic tips like required lighting like 11/13 or 10/14 to finish , I am in cocoa as a medium and I’m using Cana for coco nutrients...I can supply plenty of wattage if needed ... veg then sex then take cuts and flower out the cuts? what else:dancer:

I wood

basic tips like required lighting like 11/13 or 10/14 to finish , I am in cocoa as a medium and I’m using Cana for coco nutrients...I can supply plenty of wattage if needed ... veg then sex then take cuts and flower out the cuts? what else:dancer:
Some things that work for me with sativas in general.

bare 600 watt metal halide in a 4’ square room holds 20 easily and up to 30 plants allowing much variety.
Start flowering in small pot, up pot after stretching is done.
Another way is to use a slightly bigger pot only fill 2/3with dirt, fill top 1/3 with flowering type dirt after stretch.
Used dirt for any sensitive feeders with micro topdressing as needed, or up potting later.

F2F

Hiya Star,

Have u been following the MadMac haze thread? I couldn’t find the post, but he dropped a couple pointers about midway through the thread.

Peace
F2F

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
What do you guys think about light intensity for blooming Haze's? I've heard some say that haze does great in full light, and others say haze does better on the edges of the grow out of direct light.

Latest posts

Latest posts