What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Fitzera

I fed the taller of the 5 OHaze today.

RO
100 ppm CalMag
1 tbs/g Liquid Karma
enough PBP Soil bloom 1-4-5 to bump it to 500
Ph 6.5

I hand watered the rest w RO to make sure I wasn't getting dry spots in the fabric pots w these blumats. So far a few things I don't like about the blumats like the crappy non flexible line and unavailability of fittings/hose locally then there's the fact I dropped one carrot and it shattered. They are working ok but still not perfect by any means.

I will post up some updated pics later this week.

That hard plastic line does suck, they sell a soft red silicon hose now which is much nicer. Another downside is cost of everything, and you have to use their parts cause its a silly size. But if youre gonna run em its worth ordering up a bunch of various fittings and stuff to tailor it to your desire.

SolarLogos

I was not comparing what's the best, scarifying seeds or coconut water. I guess both should be made if you aren't working with thousends of seeds :)
Was only reporting what my friend did, what I did and the results on exactly the same 30+ years old seeds.
100 (or 80) seeds, 5% germ rate.
12 seeds, 20%.

edit: 4/12 is more than 20% :D
IMHO, the purpose of scarifying the seeds is to let water inside of the seed so it can germinate. While I've had good success with old seeds doing this, I have found that the problem with old seeds is not just that they are hard and often don't let water in, but either the shells are fused together or not enough vigor, but I've had seeds start to grow inside the shell, but the shell wouldn't crack open. In that case, the insides of the seeds will get pushed out of the hole in the edge of the seed from being scarified and the seed becomes ruined. For this reason, I prefer cracking the seeds. I need to buy a seed cracker, I believe MadMac has one he loves. I've been scarifying the seeds, soaking them over-nite, then cracking them. Seems they crack easier and with less pressure once they have soaked over-nite. I wear sterile gloves and sterilize everything that touches the seeds, so they won't damp off. Too many fungi, whether from our hands or where ever the source can cause damping off.

Coconut can be classified as a seed, a nut or a fruit. As a seed, it should have the nutrients that a seed needs to get going, as well as gibberellic acid. A pinch of diastatic malt can also help with enzymes.
I do agree however, that if seeds are properly left to mature before harvest and properly stored, these methods should not be needed. But we don't always have a choice, do we. Often the seeds we work with come from others, who may have gotten them from someone else, etc., who did not properly store the seeds.
Good points, thanks JohnnyC!

G

just found this.
Haze Brothers of South County

While Sacred Seeds and many of the hustlers obsessed over the indica hybrids like Skunk, two exceptional selectors and cannabis gurus in the town of Corralitos in Santa Cruz kept the faith and focused on coveted Mexican and Colombian Sativas. This is the story of the infamous Haze Brothers of South County.

For five years the Haze Brothers grew out seeds from imported Cannabis from Mexico, Colombia, South India and Thailand producing many populations of phenotypes and selecting their favorites of which became the Original Haze. The most desirable traits were chosen for crossing purposes but the Original Haze was still a work in progress.

Not really correct, both the place and the activities and varieties are not correct. Corralitos?-SamS

Sam the Skunkman lived in the neighborhood at the time and knew of the Haze brothers as excellent growers but not necessarily proper breeders- working lines towards consistency. The Haze Brothers shared cannabis with Sam the Skunkman and allowed him to continue the work they started. This exchange of genetics and blessings led to the creation of legendary cultivars like Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer and Blue Dream which is DJ Short’s Blueberry to the Santa Cruz Haze.

I did not really do work on OHaze back then, I just grew some and made some seeds. I lived next door to tje Haze bros (they did not live together in the same house) when they lived in Santa Cruz city. I also lived near Corralitos on an apple farm later on but no Haze Bros close by. I do not know where you found this but it is full of errors.-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

harvestreaper

Veteran
always thought some hazes had a mexican look even the pic someone posted recently of one of sams ,,wernt santa cruz haze in the blue haze a ssh?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMHO, the purpose of scarifying the seeds is to let water inside of the seed so it can germinate. While I've had good success with old seeds doing this, I have found that the problem with old seeds is not just that they are hard and often don't let water in, but either the shells are fused together or not enough vigor, but I've had seeds start to grow inside the shell, but the shell wouldn't crack open.

In that case, the insides of the seeds will get pushed out of the hole in the edge of the seed from being scarified and the seed becomes ruined. For this reason, I prefer cracking the seeds. I need to buy a seed cracker, I believe MadMac has one he loves. I've been scarifying the seeds, soaking them over-nite, then cracking them. Seems they crack easier and with less pressure once they have soaked over-nite. I wear sterile gloves and sterilize everything that touches the seeds, so they won't damp off. Too many fungi, whether from our hands or where ever the source can cause damping off.

Coconut can be classified as a seed, a nut or a fruit. As a seed, it should have the nutrients that a seed needs to get going, as well as gibberellic acid. A pinch of diastatic malt can also help with enzymes.
I do agree however, that if seeds are properly left to mature before harvest and properly stored, these methods should not be needed. But we don't always have a choice, do we. Often the seeds we work with come from others, who may have gotten them from someone else, etc., who did not properly store the seeds.
Good points, thanks JohnnyC!

I've had fresh seeds and old seeds have issues with the perianth not cracking open along the seem. I had better results cracking the seem instead of scarifying. I never figured out why some batches of fresh seeds had this issue. All of the seeds I germ are cracked if needed after a 30hr soak. Doing this has saved too many to count.

LostTribe

Premium user
That hard plastic line does suck, they sell a soft red silicon hose now which is much nicer. Another downside is cost of everything, and you have to use their parts cause its a silly size. But if youre gonna run em its worth ordering up a bunch of various fittings and stuff to tailor it to your desire.

I also don't like how they are nearly impossible to move at all. Move one and they all get messed up even had 2 of the tiny lines bent so no water was able to come out. I may try the flex line. I prefer the drip system I built for $30 but it was not really made for soil and I am away for up to a week at a time.

OHaze that I fed ~500ppm didn't really burn but definitely stretched more than the ones I didn't feed. I will wait to feed the other 4 for now. They look healthy to me so I will keep a sharp eye.

LT

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You can always throw seed into folded sand pepper and shake them around a bit to thin the seed case.

Old seed fail because the fluid/hormones between the embryo case and seed embryo drys up and as a result sticks to the seed embryo suffocating it.

I just germinated seed made in 97 and in 2012 i saw 100% germ rate 8 years later from 30 seed i got 5 and from the 5 only 2 survived and they are slow as to take off.

This is why you need to germ test old seed every few years and once you notice a huge decline in germ rates you make fresh replacements if possible.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Well made seed easily lasts 30 years if stored dry just below 10% moisture, and at less than 5C. Longer if frozen.
-SamS

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Well made seed easily lasts 30 years if stored dry just below 10% moisture, and at less than 5C. Longer if frozen.
-SamS

The seed we get from retailers even if they store them right get abused big time in transit by the time they gets to the consumer.

So even if we store them right the life expectancy from those seeds is not going to be 30 years .

20 years ago seeds were sold in pepper seed packs and they were not stored in fridges.

Seed you make if done right will last 30 years in fridge up to 50 if frozen but seed need to be dry and harden off before storing the seed and i would be surprised if most do that.

JohnnyChicago

,My own experience with haze seed is, seedsman medium to small, tom hills medium,TFD tiny.
:good:

If all tiny, could that be an indication that only one mother has been used to produce the seeds?
When did you buy your TDF seeds?

Took a pic to compare Haze seeds.
On the left seeds harvested from the purple 90OHxTHH, middle Seedsman's + ibl's, right OTHxOH
picture.php

B

Benny106

Seed size is relative to bract size and the amount of pollination, less = bigger seeds.

G

just found this.
Haze Brothers of South County

While Sacred Seeds and many of the hustlers obsessed over the indica hybrids like Skunk, two exceptional selectors and cannabis gurus in the town of Corralitos in Santa Cruz kept the faith and focused on coveted Mexican and Colombian Sativas. This is the story of the infamous Haze Brothers of South County.

For five years the Haze Brothers grew out seeds from imported Cannabis from Mexico, Colombia, South India and Thailand producing many populations of phenotypes and selecting their favorites of which became the Original Haze. The most desirable traits were chosen for crossing purposes but the Original Haze was still a work in progress.

Not really correct, both the place and the activities and varieties are not correct. Corralitos?-SamS

Sam the Skunkman lived in the neighborhood at the time and knew of the Haze brothers as excellent growers but not necessarily proper breeders- working lines towards consistency. The Haze Brothers shared cannabis with Sam the Skunkman and allowed him to continue the work they started. This exchange of genetics and blessings led to the creation of legendary cultivars like Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer and Blue Dream which is DJ Short’s Blueberry to the Santa Cruz Haze.

I did not really do work on OHaze back then, I just grew some and made some seeds. I lived next door to tje Haze bros (they did not live together in the same house) when they lived in Santa Cruz city. I also lived near Corralitos on an apple farm later on but no Haze Bros close by. I do not know where you found this but it is full of errors.-SamS

Its a article by the botanical centre titled a santa cruz legacy

MadMac

far beyond driven...
seed making with reversed OHz

seed making with reversed OHz

hello,
it's all about the resin...
SMG x SMC (columbian)
picture.php

got reversed OHz pollen...
soon ready...

Tangie ... @ SamS... from DNA ... needed a pack to find this one...
picture.php

Crockets Haze...
picture.php

haze loVe
M.:smoker:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I grew the same stuff, crossed with durban in the middle,smcxdurbanxsmg, same source; many classic hazey smells, leaning in all directions, good stuff. Ranging from 12-20+ weeks.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You can always throw seed into folded sand pepper and shake them around a bit to thin the seed case.

Old seed fail because the fluid/hormones between the embryo case and seed embryo drys up and as a result sticks to the seed embryo suffocating it.

I just germinated seed made in 97 and in 2012 i saw 100% germ rate 8 years later from 30 seed i got 5 and from the 5 only 2 survived and they are slow as to take off.

This is why you need to germ test old seed every few years and once you notice a huge decline in germ rates you make fresh replacements if possible.
good advice man ,
and its true , i dont think too many companies treat the seed properly from the get go , many dont even ripen them properly in the first place ive noted ,
i find this with purchasing some chili seeds too , they take ages to strike and then the strike rate is poor and the plants that do strike are very slow to grow, ,
when handled properly and still fresh from the fridge , they strike quickly and grow vigorously as they should ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
good advice man ,
and its true , i dont think too many companies treat the seed properly from the get go , many dont even ripen them properly in the first place ive noted ,
i find this with purchasing some chili seeds too , they take ages to strike and then the strike rate is poor and the plants that do strike are very slow to grow, ,
when handled properly and still fresh from the fridge , they strike quickly and grow vigorously as they should ...

Good to see you about Donald was bit concerned as i have not seen you about in a bit.

Tom Hill

Veteran
The new and full moons are the highest and lowest of tide. Hippie shit aside, you want to wet long germinating seed like haze out about 5 days before either. Thereby taking maximum advantage of a kind of tide ripping through the seed itself helping germination. Ask any wood cutter sailer surfer or grower.

harvestreaper

Veteran
i thought it was the effects of the joint i was smoking but no its true hempy an donald are communicating civilly ,,here here gentleman looks like progress to me