What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
And to clarify- Sam said that there were seasons when each Haze Bro tried to introduce (via Sam) either South Indian or Thai genetics- BUT they were not sustainable/desirable.

The Haze as we have it (read- know it), un-corrupted! should only be Columbian. Those other seasons do not count. In my understanding, they were trials/shots and they didn't work out to Haze satisfaction. Abandoned.

Haze was and will always be a three-way, pure Columbian hybrid. (Does someone have the quote?)

LostTribe

Premium user
i remember sam saying that also,,i asked the other day for peoples fastest pure haze but none replied,,looks like the fastest from todds here will be around 10 11 weeks

Todd does not give a flowering time on the website. I pulled the 100 days, 14 weeks from seed finder.

sbeanonnamellow

And to clarify- Sam said that there were seasons when each Haze Bro tried to introduce (via Sam) either South Indian, Thai, Mexican (?) genetics- BUT they were not sustainable/desirable.

The Haze as we have it (read- know it), un-corrupted! should only be Columbian. Those other seasons do not count. In my understanding, they were trials/shots and they didn't work out to Haze satisfaction. Abandoned.

Haze was and will always be a three-way, pure Columbian hybrid. (Does someone have the quote?)

Some quotes I fund interesting:

RCC is not "R" from High Times, I can assure you of that.

"R" is "Ron Rosenbaum"
Use this link and push the link there on that post.:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4356067&postcount=519

I knew both Haze growers, they live apart within 2 blocks of my home in Santa Cruz in both directions. They grew almost all Colombian Haze, until it started running out of vigor from being inbred. Then one tried Haze X Thai and S Indian to increase vigor, and grew them all for several more years.
That is why I reproduced O Haze with very large numbers almost unselected, I did not want to lose genes. Almost all of the other hazes were hybrids like Nevils Haze, and many others out there, great for quality and vigor but not pure Haze. I wanted to save pure O Haze so I did, and I made O Haze X Skunk and Thai/Haze X Skunk for commercial use by growers as the pure O Haze is really a breeders tool more then commercial stock.
I could grow out 10-50 thousand O Haze and pick out the best 10 females and 10 males and make crosses of them and grow out the 100 different populations, say 200 seeds of each of the 100 progeny populations and then you can easily see which parents are the best to keep, by judging the maybe 100 females progeny in each of the 100 populations. Or do it with only females to use half as many plants to get similar results, but I prefer male/female dioecious seeds not all female seeds. I do not mind large populations they yield better results.
That would give O Haze from seed almost as good as it was. If you first selected the clone parents and confirm their progeny with trials, and save the best of the best. You could produce the exact same seeds for ever.
When legal it will be done for sure or be done with new Colombian lines if they can be found that were as good as in the late 60's and are still today pure Colombian? But I have had many Cannabis varieties from around the world that had very potent and psychedelic effects like O Haze, I had so much O Haze herb that I found ones I really liked, maybe better then any Thai, or other great NLD varieties, but with science and the new understanding of Cannabinoids and terpenes I am sure that Cannabis in the future will be better then today or yesterday, just like Sinsemilla was better then seeded Cannabis. Breeders will create varieties of Cannabis with the exact Cannabinoid & terpene profile in the ratio wanted without any terpenes that are unwanted, and that future is very close, all done with classical breeding, it will happen very soon.
-SamS

The RCC photo below was from my greenhouse my plants, I don't remember what the photo or genes were except part or all Colombian for sure, maybe Thai and/or S Indian also?
For photos RCC likes colors, I like effects, and do not care if it is pretty or not.
-SamS

I gave seeds to both the Original Haze growers in 1972 and also later, One used Thai and S Indian with his Haze in the very early 70's. The other grew the Thai but decided it was not as good as Haze and did not use it. The very first Original Haze was a crop of both green, lime green, purple, and other colors, all from Columbian, after that I am not sure and anyone that says they are, is just fooling themselves. One of the Haze growers RL told me a different story then the Original Haze guy that did it first up in the SC mountains and then in the next few years moved down to right by my house, less then a block away, the other Haze grower RL, who put out the OH poster lived a block the other side of my house. I had a friend "J" that used to help the SC mountain Haze grower, he was also a good friend of RCC, he told me all about the early Original Haze I never saw, as I got back to SC in early 1972. They both told me different stories, I did not care so much it was the Cannabis I was interested in.
Sacred Seeds never tried to stablize or improve the Original Haze, our only goal was to save as many of the Original Haze genes as I could so I used as many Original Haze females and males as I could. I think I could create an all Original Haze improved line but I would need to grow thousands and thousands of plants to find a few keeper females, the males would require to be transformed into females to be screened as keepers, and/or by progeney trials that would be best. I would have done it already except that Original Haze is a lousey Dry Sift Hash maker and I hate to use so much space to do the work right. If I don't someone will....
I really do not like Original Haze hybrids that use an WLD Indica to make powerful Hazes, they are strong but often lack the pure Sativa high the I prefer. It is easy though.
If done right with just haze taste and effects, and I can't tell it is a hybrid and it is strong as the Haze was, I would like it I bet. Even the Purple Haze from back in the 70's was not really my choice, they did seem a bit stronger then the greens, limes, and blues, but they also had a more narcotic effect to me. They were the prettiest not the best, to me.
-SamS

It had several Colombian lines like Santa Marta Gold, Wacky weed.
You must remember that Purple colors can be induced in some clones by cold, while other lines turn purple regardless of temps.

-SamS

To be honest the purple Hazes were maybe stronger but not as clear or as up and high. I liked the lime greens with maybe a bit of Thai blood. I do remember a med dark purp Haze that tasted just like root beer, amazing. I also had a Kerala that tasted just like Vics Metholated it was Camphor for sure, strong as hell but not as clear as I like.
I grew mex seeds from a bag of weed in 1965.

-SamS

Gems in there. Much love

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
My main interest is the terp profile, and what makes the signature haze smell... What is the key terpene, or what terpenes does it lack for that incense to be the dominate vibe...That ancient musky wood that leaves the room smelling like pleasant floral incense.. With a different thickness to the air almost like mushroom spore like floral goodness..... Moreso than the catpissy more spicey style with incense/haze in background. I'm thinking pinene a/b, and linalool?

harvestreaper

Veteran
I just got a pack of Todd haze now tonight I'm reading about it and it makes me wonder...

Why does Sam S say original haze is a 4 way sativa hybrid of mexican,Columbian, Thai and indian and Todd says he got original haze seeds from Sam but is so adamant that the original haze he sells is 100% Columbian so much so that he even writes it on the seed vial?

And at the same time I wonder how his 100% Columbian can finish in 10-11 weeks but another pure Columbian like mango biche takes 20+

the last thing i seen sam write on haze here was that it was a straight lumbo hybrid with that being said i dont fnd it odd at all varying flo times as the lumbos were diffrent,,personally i think people put too much emphasis on long flo narrow leaf like it equates to quality ...it dont lol

harvestreaper

Veteran
the various pure haze outlets over the years clearly had diffrent selections/sources ,,to say one of these only is legit seems premature ,,as far as todds offerings go a few are now growing it so we will see soon enough,,,i could say few phenos are faster/smellier and more resinous than any other hazes i seen,, if comparing to the seedsman i grew you could say its cross but i would rather let the buds tell me the quality not leafshape or flo time maybe if sam said they didnt seem right id pay attention but until then ill let them prove themselves

harvestreaper

Veteran
When people talk of flowering times it is from the point the plant is put into 12/12.[/QUOTE you mentioned the time it takes other lines just to sex so i clarified it had already been sexed as i dont want anyone getting confused about my post :tiphat:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
When people talk of flowering times it is from the point the plant is put into 12/12.[/QUOTE you mentioned the time it takes other lines just to sex so i clarified it had already been sexed as i dont want anyone getting confused about my post :tiphat:

So if Todds took 4 weeks to sex and 10 or 11 to finish flowering then your seeing 14 to 15 week plants mate not 10 or 11 weekers around what others mostly see .

Hope you find something special.

harvestreaper

Veteran
So if Todds took 4 weeks to sex and 10 or 11 to finish flowering then your seeing 14 to 15 week plants mate not 10 or 11 weekers around what others mostly see .

lol one of us has go our wires crossed probly me ,,,im saying the plant was vegged til it showed sex then a cut was taken and when the cut was flowerd it went around 10 weeks ,,im not talking about putting a seedplant straight into 12 /12 and counting from there ,,if that makes any sense
o and thanks me too they seem lovely but proofs in puddin

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
lol one of us has go our wires crossed probly me ,,,im saying the plant was vegged til it showed sex then a cut was taken and when the cut was flowerd it went around 10 weeks ,,im not talking about putting a seedplant straight into 12 /12 and counting from there ,,if that makes any sense
o and thanks me too they seem lovely but proofs in puddin

So the Haze you are growing from Todd will take 10 to 11 weeks in flower (from start of 12/12) clone or seed plant that is fast.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
those Ohz i'll have here needs 4-6 weeks after switch to 11/13 to start really flowering...
if grow'n from seed you can wait up to 8 weeks until real flowering starts...
than it needs 12-16 weeks to finish proper... outdoors around 16 weeks with light dep.
OHz x THH and THH x OHz need around 14 weeks...
best is always flower from cut... when they are around 20-30 cm flip them...
keep in small pot's until real flowering starts to prevent the stretch...
very low feeding complete circle ... and you will have fun with the haze...
M.:smoker:

harvestreaper

Veteran
those Ohz i'll have here needs 4-6 weeks after switch to 11/13 to start really flowering...
if grow'n from seed you can wait up to 8 weeks until real flowering starts...
than it needs 12-16 weeks to finish proper... outdoors around 16 weeks with light dep.
OHz x THH and THH x OHz need around 14 weeks...
best is always flower from cut... when they are around 20-30 cm flip them...
keep in small pot's until real flowering starts to prevent the stretch...
very low feeding complete circle ... and you will have fun with the haze...
M.:smoker:

nice informative post thanks ,,most of todds seem to be looking like 12 weeks an up exept this one ,which could still go to 11 ,which really aint that freaky ,,these were also on 11 /13 light :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts