What's new

preventing early spring flowering with clones

peacenik

On the subject of slow growth, it took a long time for the leaves to grow "normal" again, & I think alot has to do with the strain. A pure kush plant I had last year re-vegged, but never grew more than 3 feet tall. Excellent smoke but not much of it. Other clones this year that adapted well were hindo-kush, sensi star, green monster, sour diesel & bubba-gani. They came from a friend's 18/6 grow room & were put directly into the ground the first week of June. But these ones never tried to bud, they just started to GROW.
Last frost date here is June 1st so I use a cold frame outside until planting in-ground. Plants go out there the beginning of May from the greenhouse that has no artificial lights. I've found that keeping clones warm enough seems just as important as getting the lighting right.
I've yet to get any plant to re-veg successfully after fall harvest outside because of the weather here. Way too cold.

D

danimal7

I got this down! here's what I do .............just wait till very close to june 21 the longest day , I dig nice big holes,use pro mix or roots or whatever soil you like , my clones are about 10" tall coming from a 24 hr fluorescent veg room, I set the clones outside in the shade for a few days to get them acclimated to the sun. nutrients used superthrive ,earthjuice, maxigrow,koolbloom,big bloom for foliar feed . anyway june 21 plant date doesnt seem like enough time for some but see for yourself....
mid sept harvest
this "Death kush" yielded 20oz trimmed and dried
picture.php

this little patch too was planted june 21, just 10" tall clones then
and here is mid August
picture.php

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
thats nice but this thread is for EARLY spring flowering. by june 1st i need my plants 6 feet tall, not 10 inches.

HOVAH2.0

This was already tried and tested on O.G. a long time ago...

put your clone out in April or May
when, if it starts to flower maybe 2-3 weeks later
cut off all preflowers and hit with hi nitrogen nukes.
the clone will start to veg for a month afterwards.

i will be starting some clones in april, in order to give the clone enough time to start and stop flower, then veg in may.... this is the way i was taught.

full time daddy
Veteran
I've had many clone-only strains outside since the first week of April with no triggering thanks to some supplemental light.

this what we allways did, either run power out to them or move themback inside tell morning

i know with "mom's" if you cut the light intensity induced flowering is gonna happen with most strains, i tryed to veg with 1khps take cut's then stick mom's under the 175mh to start rebranching and ended up with bud's......LOL

Last edited:
P

planty

I got myself some 45W CFLs to use in my garden...Same ones that are recommended by Butte I believe

T

theJointedOne

imo if you put out mid may you shouldnt have any issues with flowering then reveg then flower, at least i havent.

that being said ive seen gardens put out WAY too early like some people plant on 4/20..those gardens did what you are all describing (bad yeilds, mold, sub par quality)

a lot of it has to do with genetics im sure.

uglybunny

Currently got a couple clones starting to preflower. >< I've been moving them in to boost them up to 18 hours of light a day...will they snap out of it?

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Got my girls outside already. If you want smaller plants you can wait til June but I want big wide bushes! I took them in and out for about 2 weeks. I usually follow the Farmer's Almanac, but this year I wanted to get them out earlier.

Here is my tip for the masses. Dont top your cuts until they are outdoors. You can put them out as early as I did and not reveg if you put them out for a week then top. They will be so busy trying to regrow the tops, they are tricked into not flowering right away. Good luck with your crops!

Last edited:

Xare

Currently got a couple clones starting to preflower. >< I've been moving them in to boost them up to 18 hours of light a day...will they snap out of it?

If they are starting "preflower" that means they are showing sexual maturity by showing preflowers at the nodes.

This does NOT mean that the plant is starting to flower.

Once a plant starts to show preflowers it will never revert to a pre mature state. Even with 24 hours of light a day preflowers will show up.

Do you mean to say that your clones are starting to flower ? The start of flower and preflowering are not the same thing.

Someone mentioned a bunch of posts back about the idea of using solar powered lights like you'd put out in front of your house(sorry I dont recall who it was) and didn't get a response.. It was a pretty good question I thought and I just happened to be at Walmart buying some stuff and as I walked by a row with boxes of solar powered lights that I wasnt even paying attention to I got blinded by one particular light. It was annoying enough that I turned around to see wtf it was and it turned out that they now have solar powered LED flood lights that were unbelievably bright. if I looked right at them for just a few seconds and looked away my eyes were all kinds of jacked up. They may work great for keeping the 'day' going for another couple hours in the early/mid spring.. I know Tom Hill has just strung a bunch of CFLs around his garden (check out the growing big outdoor plants thread in the Tom Hill forum for a picture if you care) to accomplish the same idea. But since most folks probably don't have power to their grow this really may help out a lot. The only downfall were the particular ones I saw were $50 for a set of 2.. If you're going for trees then that $25 per light cost is negligible for the serious grower. The other nice thing about it is the light is very directed unlike a CFL or incandescent that just shoots around in all directions probably wasting light in areas it's not needed(although this may be preferrable depending on your plant layout).. If you are in the direct path of the th light however, it's blinding..

They don't seem to have them on Walmart's web site, so you may have to go check your local gardening area at WM if you're interested..

BB

dragunn

i have noticed since i moved to full organics a few years ago ive had lots clones failing to return to proper veg.when i used miracle grow in the past i never had a problem.

any one else notice this correlation?

Butte

Veteran
^^^^ the nitrogen probably helped pull them out. Feeding heavy N is a common approach around here...

This my first time doing OD and I put my plants outside april 1st or so....will mine flower in may then start to reveg...? I hope not I havent seen any preflowers yet. Im at 29 lat in texas

Check the clones' root system. You'd want a newly established clone. Ask when they might have been taken. The sooner they are put outside after cloning, the better chance you will have of avoiding a re-veg.

Seems to me you'd want to put them out at the apex of the vortex of the photo period if they are established clones. The increasing daylight time has the potential of re-vegging you plants. This would mean planting them in 2 weeks (May 28th).

english translation: "apex of the vortex of photoperiod" please?

im getting rooted clones from the source that willl probaly be under 24/0 or 18/6 before going out directly outside with appropriate hardening off measures on or around june 1st (16/8). the days increase for 20 more days before solstice on 21st when they start shortening. will i have problems? i have no place to veg indoors.

slmndl

Growing outdoors pots vs in ground

Growing outdoors pots vs in ground

My sativas are doing well in 5 gallon pots outdoors. Do I transfer them to giant pots? can I keep them in pots the whole cycle?
I like the control. Happy to let them get over 6 ft tall.
Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts