What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

preventing early spring flowering with clones

uc1

Very interesting thread!
How would you act if you want to place them outdoors in the beginning of april. The sun starts at 06.41 and ends 19.52 what means only 13h10mins. Is 16/8 helpful or should i light them from 05.41 to 20.52? what are your recommendations?thx!

sixpak

For the outdoor guys who don't have electricity at their spot. Last season I put my clones out the end of April. I purchased some of the high output outdoor solar spotlights $30 each. I put one over each hole with 3 clones (XJ-13) a hole. They come on automaticly at dusk and shut off at dawn. I probably could of took the lights down the middle of June but I left them up until the end of July just to be safe. Worked out fine no worries.

M

MrSterling

Hey all, I'm not a grower but a student of this beautiful wonderful plant for as long as it takes my state to wise up, and I have a quick question. If I've strayed off-topic my apologies.

Say a plant is put out in early spring, warm enough for the plant but the hours are short and the plant starts flowering. If you left it in the ground I'm assuming it would get partially through the flower cycle before starting to reveg as the hours got longer.

What effect would this have on the final product come end of fall - be it yield, quality, etc? Would the short period of flowering followed by the revert to veg kill yields and quality? I'm also assuming that the plant would take quite awhile to flip back to veg.

Thanks for any help guys! Trying to learn as much as I can. :tiphat:

ChaChaChiba

Hi outdoors growers; I grow inside but I put the pots outside during the day for the better rays than my 2-150whps could give em and I hope by skipping the whole of this thread I could get an answer to 2 questions about them being out. One is, which is better, the shaded morning south sun and shaded evening west sun or bring them in under the hps during these shaded times, and for my flowering ones, 12/12 lacks 35 minutes now, the girls are in 5th week flowering c99's in small pots so will it be ok to leave em out at night even with the lack of that 1/2hour& or bring em back in for the full 12 dark? Thanks much, appreciate any input.

Hey all, I'm not a grower but a student of this beautiful wonderful plant for as long as it takes my state to wise up, and I have a quick question. If I've strayed off-topic my apologies.

Say a plant is put out in early spring, warm enough for the plant but the hours are short and the plant starts flowering. If you left it in the ground I'm assuming it would get partially through the flower cycle before starting to reveg as the hours got longer.

What effect would this have on the final product come end of fall - be it yield, quality, etc? Would the short period of flowering followed by the revert to veg kill yields and quality? I'm also assuming that the plant would take quite awhile to flip back to veg.

Thanks for any help guys! Trying to learn as much as I can. :tiphat:
the yield would likely be lower because of the wasted ~5-6 weeks of plant being confused

MrQwerty

I regenerated my previous/first crop from my indoor hydro. I had one pathetic regen that was almost wasting my space, so I put it outdoors about 2 or 3 weeks ago, it is in a secluded spot and I never did and never will spend Much time on it because I am dedicated to my indoor grow & cant risk getting popped on the outdoor crop while having plants growing at my house, so I visit the spot as little as possible for a feeding or two. Well I am seeing some small bud growth (no buds larger than the width of my thumb). The plant is no larger than 20' & while it has had some great improvements since going outdoors, I dont believe it is bushy enough to start Flower & I dont think it is late enough in the season for flower properly. I know I should have given the subject more research, but I was just going to "set it and forget it" rather than just killing the plant since it is a waste in my indoor setup. Is there an extremely simple way to get it back in veg? No huge loss if the plant is pointless in my situation, I can always just let it do its thing & see what she does.

Lebniis

Hey all, nervous about my first outdoor grow. Currently vegging plants under 15the hours of light and they are vegging nice. What daylength should I be shooting for. At 37 north lat day length increases from early may to 14.35 hrs towards the end of may. Im all set to grow large plants but am worried I will set them out early and blow it. Looking for direction, can provide more info thanks..

sbtransplant

I'm at 39N and I normally have good luck as of the first week of may. Sometimes that is dependent of, what I think, ambient temps. I haven't heard much of this in this thread but I'm convinced that if its still cool in mid to late April, I might have issues with some of my newly planted girls starting to flower. Warmer temps seem to make this less likely but to be honest I dont have enough data to personally prove this.

Another thought is that early spring flowering sometimes is strain-dependent. I've tried to think I can grow some varieties which do killer indoor and match that outdoor, only to have them early flower in spring and never really produce anything of value. Some strains that I can think of regarding this are: sour grapes, jack the ripper, jack's cleaner, sfv og kush, and larry og kush. Varieties that I know to have been grown prior outside and do well are now only what I seek out. Cherry Pie, Garlic, chem d, headband, jilly bean, gdp, anything with nl #5, and pretty much any significant strain to come from outdoor growers in northern ca seem to never show early flowers on me. I think once at or above 14 hours a day strains like these, in nice conditions that isn't too cool, will not go into early flowering. Good luck to all!

sick.nick

I have one mother plant used for cloning. It'll be 12 weeks old when I plan to transplant it. My light is turn on for 16 h, on transplant day it'll be 15h of daylight(witout dawn&twilight)
I want to have it in vegetative stage at least 2 months more (outdoor)

What is your experiences ? Will it flower immediately ?

norcalKTM

Its simple make sure they get enough sunlight for their veg period for summer, by cutting branch's blocking direct sunlight to your crop. Then when the days start to get shorter again they go into flower, or if you want a earlier crop and have the nugs look more like indoor force flower with a hoop house or light dep, made out of panda film white on the outside so it doesnt over heat, and a tent frame with PVC and 3 ft. Iron rods hammered into the ground to support the hoop house, and sandbags or bricks so the wind doesn't blow your panda film off.

sick.nick

Just make clones and transplant mother plant outdoor. I also put clones outside, hope it'll make it.

I moved it from 16/8 to 14 daylight + dusk,dawn.

Henrik

dont know about clones, but I prevent seedlings from flower in the spring by vegging them with the natural light schedule, the sun. They will notice that the days get longer. I can also do it with better effect by using extra light in the day. I have had a lot of problems with this because of the latitude. Now I never vegg without the sun! A little extra N before transplant doesnt harm...

Dubya

I have a couple ladies I'd like to throw outdoors, but they have been under 24 hours their whole lives. They are fem seeds but are like a foot tall now. About a month old.

Will these flower if I bring them outside now? What should I do?

:tiphat: hi this is my frist reply on ic. for the frist 40 years, i planted from raceland seeds,( in the bush) i would go back in august n kill the males. now for the last 5 years, I've started cloning. Here's how I do it. I start all my seeds around the frist week of feb. put them on 16 light 8 dark (live 42 lat.) top all my plants after sixth node (I grow about 4 different kinds all reg seeds) they presex about last week of march. I take afew male cutting.( for breeding later) then I kill all (or give away) all but the best 12 females I keep for myself. the last week of april I take cutting ( 6 to 8 from each plant) put them in my ez cloner 120 on a 20 light 4 dark cycle.about mid may I put my big mama's in the garden.(weather permiting) I start puting my cutting in the bush from mid june till july 1st. I have never had any trouble with plants flowering to soon. ps. i hope u can under stand what i said I'm not good at puting what i say in print.

G

guest845704

Hi bottomland, I have similar plan this year.

I have started with clones first time ever this year, almost synchronized timer to sun and want to throw them soon. Sun is shining 15,5h a day now. After they be able to start preflower or even think about flower they will get 16h of daylight. Day is getting longer and it is crucial signal to keep veggin.

I threw 3 weeks old, pregrown in 18h light seedlings. in 14,5h daylight and they showed sex. Synchronization is important, to don't give them straight impulse to bloom.

talktosamson

Veteran
Hey everyone. I have had my outdoor veg room on 18-6, going to sleep around midnight and waking u with the sun around 5:45 am. They are literally exploding out of the room and trying to grow out of the windows, I feel like the want to be outside but don't want them to start flowering. Getting 15.5 hours on sunlight and gaining 3 miunits each day. Mix of seeds/clones/moms.

What do you all think, I shoot for June 1st so this would be a week or ten days early.

Latest posts

Latest posts