What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Does a regular seed already have it's sex predetermined? Or can growing factors play a role? If you have almost perfect conditions, and give her lots of love-will she turn female more often? Just wondering, thanks

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi bobbo

that is along deabted question

follow my "want more females " thread for info if you believe environment plays a role

med-man

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi bobbo

that is along deabted question

follow my "want more females " thread for info if you believe environment plays a role

med-man

woolybear

Veteran
indeed, i recently bumped that thread.

basically moist environment = happy weed plant, plenty of food and water, so the ecosystem can support more females. females need water and energy.

dry environment = less resources to support female development, so it leans towards males

in my experience i find this to be true. I've always had a good female ratio, in the beginning from using hempys to now coco

but yeah give it a try man

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Ok, will do Med. I was just wondering because I am working on a 4 for 4 for female ratio with regular seeds. Will be 5 for 5 if Silver Skunk turns female, which I think she is a she ;))
Thanks

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Wouldnt genetics determine sex?
How would the chromosomes change due to weather?

Plants are fairly remarkable (understatement probably) in their ability to adjust to their environment. It is possible to reverse the sex of a plant. I'm not sure it's been done with cannabis specifically (although Rockster from kaliman claimed it happened to him with his cheese), but it's possible. This adds some credibility to the idea that environment plays a role in determining sex.

I'm pretty sure I always heard high nitrogen mediums promote females as well, but that's just one of those things you hear on the forums. I've never seen it substantiated.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Warmer temps equals male, cooler temps equals female.

Works every time, as long as you believe.

MJBadger

Veteran
Warmer temps equals male, cooler temps equals female.

I agree with D C .

There are lots of different opinions on seed sex , some believe with a vengence that the sex is predetermined before it`s even germed . I always germ low 70`s & tend to get slightly more fem although i do not do 100`s of seeds .
I`m of a theory that any plant that has male or female on a plant is a bit like us , during the development of our embryo the x y chromosomes make what we are . Is a plant any different ?

I have yet to see any detailed scientific paper that proves beyond doubt the sex of a canna seed before germination .

pinkus

Veteran
I for one believe that treating them right gives more females. One adamant denier is Chimera. Take it for what it's worth.

In many things environment plays a huge role. The Alligator egg for one. I'll continue to coddle my seedlings and hope :).

Latest posts

Latest posts