What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Try a recipe that uses a cold rise in the refrigerator. Here's one:
https://feelingfoodish.com/the-best-new-york-style-pizza-dough/

The recipe makes enough for 4 pizzas. It also freezes well.

thanks for the link...i always put the freshly made dough into a glass baking pan (usually 4 into the pan), cover with saran wrap and put inot the fridghe for min 24hrs, usually 48hrs-

i will try this recipe next week - interesting that they say add the salt and yeast n sugar with the dry flour - i was always told add the yeast + sugar to warm water, and to mix the flour n salt separately ...

many thanks i'll report back

buzzmobile

Veteran
Last night's pepperoni and sausage. Bungled the edge a bit laying it on the peel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P8301689.jpg
    P8301689.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 34

troutman

Seed Whore
Had cheezy sticks last night from a pizza place.

Basically, it's a pizza dough for a small pizza flattened and covered with mix cheese.
Once it comes out of the oven it's buttered with garlic butter and then sprinkled
with parmesan cheese.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wondered what I'm supposed to brush with oil.
The whole crust?
Just bottom?
Just the outside ring?

Once it's dressed, I brush around the outside crust with garlic butter.

But that's *if I haven't covered it with pizza sauce. I'm a big fan of covering the entire pizza with sauce and cheese. Keep in mind that I always use a deep dish cast iron pan that is liberally oiled (garlic oil). So much so that I'd say it almost fries in the pan.

X

xavier7995

I do mine in cast iron with cheese and such right up to the edge, detroit style 4eva.

Just wanted to pop in and throw tzatziki sauce out there as a great dipping sauce for crust or the pizza itself, particularly if real meaty or heavy on the cheese. The lemon in it works well with the grease.

mexweed

Veteran
oven at 550

2 cups flour, dash of salt, yeast packet, 1 cup hot water

8oz cheese I prefer for at least half of it to be low moisture whole milk mozzarella, recently been doing 2oz yellow chedder and 2oz muenster

sauce is just hunts tomato sauce with whatever added, garlic black pepper etc

6 mins on a buttered steel pan, then dumped onto the rack for 4 mins

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
so after trying various recipes for dough ... or should i say a shitload of em- i finally found one i like... its taken me probably 2+ yrs of trying... i even asked a friend who's son-inlaw has a pizza shop 150miles from my house - he would not give up the recipe... all he told his father inlaw is that i'm using the rite ingredients , which i already knew, but i needed to know how much of this,how much of that- what a little dick.. in any case

i came into these little Caesar pizza pans - the r square and have '2' compartments- here is the recipe ..

1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
1 1/2 '' '' of yeast -
this goes into 1 cup of warm water... i leave for about 8-10mins, or till its foaming-

i put 2 1/4 cups of flour into the mixer it calls for all purpose, i use king arthur 11.7pct , turn it on low, and pour in the water/sugar/yeast mixture and spin it for about 2 mins... then i cover the mixture with a towel (or plastic wrap) and let it sit for 10mins.

then i turn the mixer onto med speed and pour in the salt 3/4 of a teaspoon and spin it for about 8mins...

i flour the countertop and my hands to get the dough from the mixer as its a sticky dough- i knead it for a min or so...

my pizza pans have been coated liberally with evoo - i cut the dough into '2' pieces and put one on each side of the pan , punch it down a bit, and cover with plastic wrap and let it sit 15mins- there after with evoo on my fingers, i stretch the dough out into the corners, cover once again and let sit for 2-3 hrs - thereafter i top it with whatever and bake for about 18-20mins at 500F-

what comes out is not quite Sicilian pizza (thick crust) and its not a grandma's pie- its sort of in the middle -

here in america the good pizza places use 'grande' mozz... and i'm lucky enough to get bags of it from my bro...

i can't take credit for the recipe , it comes from a tv program - but so far its the tastiest dough i have found...

X

xavier7995

Man I really need to write down exact proportions. The only thing I measure is my water. 2 cups warm water, dissolve a tablespoon or so of sugar or honey into it, add a tablespoon or so of yeast (enough to cover top of liquid in a thin layer), let sit for 5 minutes or till foamy, add a cup or so of AP flour and a tablespoon or so of salt (kosher) and give it a quick mix. Add in a half to a cup of wheat flour, mix, then add say...2 tablespoons of olive oil and add AP until its the right consistency, will take another 1 or 2 cups. Cover and let rise, punch down after half an hour and let rise for a few more minutes then into the cast iron.

There are far too many "or so" in this baking recipe. It is a bit variable since not consistent, but sounds similar to the above goal, a bit between the grandmas soft style and a hearty bread.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Man I really need to write down exact proportions.

yeah i try to follow the recipe exactly - on tv they use all-purp flour, but i had a shitload of king arthur, so thats what i am using - n the results r excellent

i also still have 10lbs of caputo 00 flour... at some point i'll try the recipe with it, but the dough is coming out so good...why change...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
That sounds like a Detroit style recipe Zach.

yesss it is - the recipe is from americas test kitchen (i tape every episode) - its the best dough i have ever made - i'm just making the dough a bit thinner then they do - mine is closer to a grandma's pie , then to a Sicilian... and when we have pasta, i use a dough for foccacia bread--- bit of evoo,rosemary,sea salt... i'm getting hungry n its only 745am

Latest posts

Latest posts