What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
started to use fresh yeast , instead of the packs (or bottles), and i found locally in the market 00 flour from king arthur... bit pricier then regular flour, but with fresh yeast i'm getting more thumbs up from my kids...

B

Benny106

Nice. I havent made a pizza in a while but i have a stash of flour and yeast, will get some fresh culture from the bakers.

buzzmobile

Veteran
My pizza stone broke in the oven a while back. I started looking to order a new stone when I came across a pizza steel. I ordered a 3/8" x 16" x 16" A36 steel plate and seasoned it. The pizzas baked on the steel cook up far better than on stone. The plate is heavy at almost 19 lbs. It came a raw piece of steel and I cleaned the mill scale by soaking it in vinegar for a couple of days before seasoning it.
The pre-seasoned steels are expensive.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
My pizza stone broke in the oven a while back. I started looking to order a new stone when I came across a pizza steel. I ordered a 3/8" x 16" x 16" A36 steel plate and seasoned it. The pizzas baked on the steel cook up far better than on stone. The plate is heavy at almost 19 lbs. It came a raw piece of steel and I cleaned the mill scale by soaking it in vinegar for a couple of days before seasoning it.
The pre-seasoned steels are expensive.

yes... i heard that for the home oven which only gets to 500F, steel makes a better pie then stone... i usually preheat the stone for 45mins, under the broil setting, then change to the oven setting for 15mins and cook em... i'm going to look into steel...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran

reading a bit on steel, seems a lot of people think a bit thinner steel works better... n is lighter... we have a steel fabricator in town... i'm going to stop by n see if he will cut me a piece n deburr the edges..

most of the seasoned pieces on amazon get high grades, but there r a few that complain about sharp edges...

buzzmobile

Veteran
most of the seasoned pieces on amazon get high grades, but there r a few that complain about sharp edges...

I was concerned about the "sharp edges" mentioned in reviews. When I received the steel it was not an issue. There was a tiny bit of an edge remaining from the cutter. It was a simple fix with a knife steel to remove it. The corners of the steel plate are rounded and smooth.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
bought a piece of 1/4'' steel - i will pick it up wed/thursday...

the past few weeks i have been using my sour dough starter instead of yeast- adds a touch of flavor... but a bit more time consuming then measuring teaspoons of dry yeast

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Here's to hoping they lay flat when heated. I cut a firebox cover out of 1/4" stainless once for a buddies BBQ, and it would warp like a 'tater chip when the bottom got hot. We had to weld so much reinforcement to keep it flat, that it was almost too heavy to use. Probably was due to the temp gradient of one side vs the other. Or the heat treatment.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
started to use fresh yeast , instead of the packs (or bottles), and i found locally in the market 00 flour from king arthur... bit pricier then regular flour, but with fresh yeast i'm getting more thumbs up from my kids...

550 is the flour to use for pizza, not 00 or 000. 650 (bread flour) would be a better option than both of those.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
550 is the flour to use for pizza, not 00 or 000. 650 (bread flour) would be a better option than both of those.

honestly i don't see much diff... i have caputo 00, king arthur 00. king art bread/and apf, and gold metal- i can't see/taste a diff... now a lot of pizza joints use 'trump' flour... but what to do with a 50lb bag..or even 25- and then there's that name...:biggrin:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Waking the yeast is important to bread. Below 40c and it will never be what it could. Ideally you warm the flour and water so it's pitched at 50c+ but not 60c as that will kill it. Some thought needs to go towards mixing as a spiral mixer will add heat and they are all different. Once mixed you can drop to 30c which is typical after being rolled and put in pans anyway. Then about an hour later it's ready. A domestic oven will top out about 240c so you can expect a time close to 10 mins. Depending what you put on it. As the fat content of the toppings helps.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Or just buy a bread machine and you will have the dough made at perfect temperature.. ready to use in 90 minutes. (Better after 24 hours in the fridge, of course..)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Or just buy a bread machine and you will have the dough made at perfect temperature.. ready to use in 90 minutes. (Better after 24 hours in the fridge, of course..)

saw a video of a pizza guy.. i think in brooklyn who refrid'd his dough for 24,48 and 72hrs, n thought the taste was better at 72hrs..

my problem is they rarely last that long...if its in the fridge at nite, i'm having a snack... that's why i go thru a 30lb carton of grande cheese in about 6weeks

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Ofc the taste is better after a longer cold fermentation. Also the bubbles are better. Also, nutrition in the dough is better.
I just said that you can use it fresh out of the machine in about 90 mins, but if you can it's better to leave it in a fridge for a while.
I usually do 1 or 2 kg batches so i have some dough balls left for the following week.

mexweed

Veteran
glhKgd4.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
There's a thing called too much cheese on pizza, and that fits the bill, but sometimes I like it with cheese overflowing as well.
Btw, rest the pizza a bit on a wooden board before serving and cutting. It will look better after you cut it (cheese settles a bit), be more crispy (wood absorbs a bit of the mosture from underneath) and, also.. you won't burn your mouth with the molten cheese.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
another tip from a local pizza maker, who makes a great dough , is that he mixes the water/yeast/flour, lets it sit for a bit, n then adds the salt n evoo... does not add it in the beginning.. then he finishes turning kneading the dough

Latest posts

Latest posts