What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pine Tar Gush F3 grow along.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks @Jahaze - looking great in mid to late flower and that plant number one looks to be a bit less wide leaf... i didn't get a pheno like that in my little test grow. exciting !
VG :tiphat:

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
PTG #1 tops putting on weight as the end approaches. Planning to chop around week 8 to preserve those early pine terps. This plant does look like it could easily go past 9 so I may partial harvest and try it both ways.

20220904_130004.jpg
20220904_130016.jpg
20220904_130031.jpg

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
PTG #6 same as #2, running two weeks behind plant #1. This plant has the loudest smells of the 4. Has really dank musk with a fuely pine and some fruity type smells that come off this plant. She had some mg deficiency that showed up a couple weeks back. Its been easy to combat but I've been easy on the nutes so they can finish on the early side and not burn hot. A very lovely plant to smell.

20220904_130537.jpg
20220904_130329.jpg
20220904_130352.jpg
20220904_130430.jpg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are looking good @Jahaze - and i'm glad you finding the smells as delicious as i did!
If 8 weeks leaves them less ripe than you comfortable with, then one alternative to chopping could be to just raise the light or lower the plant for a few extra days ripening with less chance of degarding the terps? your idea of half and half is a good one too.
i will be interested in how quickly you think they fade.
FWIW i found the pine terps to be a bit more persistent than i expected and they were still smelling pretty good in the jar for a couple of months... by which time i had finished them.. quite a moreish smoke!

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
this a better shot of the ptg #1 plant at exactly 8 weeks. the top 1/3 of the plant show all cloudy trichs but no amber and as i move further down there is still some clear heads. Im going to hold off for maybe 5 more days and that will bring me closer to week 9. This is the seed mom so I'm sure a clone would ripen sooner. She did get much fuller and heavier in the last week so thats good...

20220906_181156.jpg
20220906_181510.jpg
20220906_100849.jpg
20220906_101137.jpg
20220906_101143.jpg
20220906_181724.jpg
20220906_181754.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like a good plan.. like you say, always hard to call exactly when day 1 of flowering is for a seed grown plant.. and whilst the advice from @Tonygreen was around 8 weeks it needs to be ripe, but just on the earlier end of the 'ripe' window. so many variables...
Have you noticed any change in the smells coming off it in the last week or two?
Plant looks great btw

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The black ones I had came in around 9 to 10 weeks. I think that end is when the terps change a bit. I’ve run em as far as 11 for flower. At that stage I’d consider taking a test nug to compare to the final, if you’ve clones to run again. Looks great jahaze, you done really well steering these! Mind if I share pics dude?
You have a good eye, you’ll know when to pull em!

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
Have you noticed any change in the smells coming off it in the last week or two?
Hey VG...the smells have not diminished at all. She still has a soft piney scent and has developed a mild rotting organic scent and a diesel like background that maybe coming from the piney terps. Some of the others have a more pronounced scent but all have pine of varying degrees. The #1 plant kinda smells like a riff on traditional OG just less in your face.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's good to hear @Jahaze - the fuel and diesel seems to amplify the pine funk and maybe helps 'preserve' it.. not sure but the PTG seems to hold onto its pine scent better than the straight PT Kush.
There is some purpling on your #1 plant, but none of your 4 have gone purple or black like the one i had or the F2 seed mum. could be just chance or could be down to other things. It wasn't cold by UK standards wheni was growing them... but it still could have gone down lower or been a bigger day/night range of temp than you've had... i wanted to run my #4 clone this summer to see if it purpled again in the warmer temps but the heatwave cooked the clones and i ended up doing a 4 plant round in my new cab rather than doing 9!. bygones... i'm looking forward to running it again and filling my jars soon.
VG

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The gorilla bubble is such a unique profile with sour, gas, funk, skunky notes that blend do absurdly together it’s almost desert weed. That makes it a great tool with matching p1 to amplify those certain notes. She outcrosses remarkably well!

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
another little update on the ptg f3s as they near the end. Plant #1 has been harvested @ week 9 and is currently drying. I think it could have gone a bit longer but I have a clone of all 4 so I can run each again if needed. Now onto the other gals currently in flower.

20220915_095024.jpg

ptg#4 is at week 8 and has smaller flowers but stacked. She smells a bit fuely, piney, and earthy/woody almost.

20220915_095102.jpg

ptg#6 is at week 7 and had big wide leaves (as did #4) and smells of burnt rubber, pine, diesel and a richer earthy background. there is a sweetness to the smell but also has smoke smell which i believe is behind the burn rubber thing that wafts off her when i move her around. very loud smell on her.

20220915_095116.jpg

pgt#2 is also at week 7 of flower. There are only 3 smells I get from this plant. Pine, fuel, and metal. By far the strongest pine smell of the 4. The fuel and metal smell is equally strong and it overwhelms my senses and I can't pick out anything else. Standing back from the plant the pine-metal-fuel smell is bright and sharp and washes the other plants out. I can still pick out the burnt rubber/sweet smoke smell of #6 however.

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
The ptg#1 is dry and ready for curing so I figured I'd do my 1st post harvest tasting. Its about 8 on a Sunday morning and its my first smoke. I will keep it short since the test that will matter to me is about 6 weeks away. The dry pull is piney and fuely. Taste is piney, very mild lemon, fuely. I got some hints of evergreen during the smoke but it was fleeting and I dont know if I smell the evergreen in the smoke or I taste it. The fuely taste is bright and I get hints of lemon. The pine taste is not earthen at all. The high is immediate. Heady with energy gradually building. The effect at this point is a rush and hits fast and hard. Decent potency already so i have no doubt she's gonna slam hard when she cures. The more I smoke the more I like the taste. The soft pine and fuel lingers and is what greets you after each pull. I smoked about 1/3 joint and I am baked...energy still nice.

20220918_083655.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks @Jahaze , sounds promising!
awww, makes me wish all my PTG jars were full again! i found it rather moreish for sure.. i'll be impressed if you can leave it alone for 6 weeks lol.

RobFromTX

Hi all, as some of you my know this is Tonygreen and I's collaboration, now at F3. The germination test gave 10/11 .

Pine Tar Gush was originally a cross of Tom Hill's Pine Tar Kush and Tony's Gorilla Bubble BX4.
Lab tests on the F2s showed significant levels THCV as well as a decent amount of CBD.. and proved a really popular smoke amongst those who grew them out.

here is the previous thread for PTG :
https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-v...-tar-gush-original-glue-4-ril-x-pine-tar-kush
Oh wow man so youre the bank i saw on real gorilla. Stellar looking bubba crosses man. I plan to indulge soon enough:smoke:

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
PTG #4 getting close. I tried to get a good picture but seems I just can't. She has big fat calyx stacked on one another you can kinda make out but the pics have been a challenge. She has similar smells as plant #6 but less and has another smell that i cant put my finger on at the moment. All trichs are cloudy so any xay now when i get a moment she will come down.

20220920_095038.jpg
20220920_095017.jpg
20220920_094957.jpg
20220920_094939.jpg
20220920_094914.jpg
20220920_090233.jpg
20220920_090221.jpg