What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

O

o.sparkles

Awesome thread! Thanks to all involved. These are some bad little buggers. I loved reading the wiki page on them, a lot of history. 9 out of 10 grape farms in France during the pre 1900s were wiped out by these mofos.

Hopefully the imid doesn't just make em stronger in the long run.

Fat J

For me they were all gone in 4 days, but I applied it kinda differently, and my problem wasnt too too bad when i caught it. I made a mix 1/2 the strength the bottle reccomended and split it up evenly between 25 plants - mixed 1 gal with 1 oz bayer citrus, divided evenly, except the small clones which only got a little. I let it sit in there for 8 hours and then did a flush with my normal resi water, then let it drain into my resi and let it feed normally for a week - with the treatment still in the resi water - i have a 75 gal resi. Then dump the res... I havent seen any more yet, dosed em pretty good, but it was half what they reccomend for vegetables. course those are outdoors, but hey, it worked, and no ill signs yet, in a couple months ill post re:bud quality/side effects, once i can smoke it ^^

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Okay. So I mixed it a bit strong. I gave the plants water

5 5 gallon
13 1 gallon
10 beer cups

mixed imid, checked PH and the watered with the imid and then a little clean water and that's it. They looked like shit so I flushed today but the runoff PH was 6.3 :dunno:

I look really hard and on the bubblegum I still find crawlers. Mind you my infestation seemed very small do to the sprays they got but the aphid persist. I have no fliers on cards. Just crawlers. I'm hoping they die.

What's letf
? Triaziside?

I think at this point I hae to consider getting rid of my 5 large plants waiting to go into 10 gallon pots.

The newer plants in 1 gal and new into 5 gallon seem really good shape considering the treatments and I cant SEE** any bugs.

I'm already a month behind and now the stunting is putting me further. I have serious doubts whether these plants would ever meet anywhere near their yield health potential at this point.

Hard to say.

Ima go out and punch a baby tomorrow

Lifebreather

Veteran
So it's been another 2 days and I still found some aphids running around in the soil and rim of the pots. People that used IMID, how long after using it were there no signs of aphids and the plants start growing normally?

Wow, hard to believe you're having problems after Bayer.

I used Bayer Advanced 12-month "Tree & Shrub" in the blue bottle.

1 tablespoon per gallon, distributed evenly among 5 mother plants in 1-2 gallon pots.

It burned them a little, but growth picked up within a week, nothing too bad.

It killed every root aphid. Period. I don't remember how soon it was, but I didn't have to do anything after the first application. They haven't come back, and that was after spending hundreds on those organic/natural products.

i eradicated them with repeated pyrethrum medium/foliage drenches worst insect problem i have dealt with but i have not seen any for 6 weeks now. sadly they left a legacy of root rot which forced me to kill some plants the root rot was dealt with by h202 application. the lesson learned is be very watchful for unknown insects an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. the biggest question i ponder is how i got them.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Hopefully it'll take care of it...... I'm ready to burn down the new grow room and the house for insurance money this week.

Not my week :dunno:

I,m actually losing sleep over the thought that there are bugs, that I cant control, rampant in a room in my home.

Lets see how these fuckers like carb cleaner :D

Fat J

GS> ya, i still dont see any more, I think maybe your solution was a bit weak, try 2x strength u used and wait a week, make sure u give a week in between and dont over do it.

Fat J

And hey man, its gonna be ok, they're gonna die, you're gonna obey the eleventh commandment: THOU SHALT KEEP THINE PIMP HAND STRONG ^.^ Take a few deep breaths, then a few deep bong rips, repeat 4-20 times and reapply. I used 1/2 reccomended strength but was still much stronger than what u applied, and no burns or nothin... its gonna be ok, after the round, bleach water everything 15% solution and get new medium or boil it if its h-ton. You'll be good, just make sure once theyre gone u treat all incoming clones/only get cuttings n root urself. Ill take a bong hit for ya too, hope it helps ^.^

delphi773

# 1 - SickBoyZap is giving legit info for sure.
# 2 - Imid is a sure shot way to fix your root aphid issue.

Here's the deal, I HAD these unbelievable pests as well, why else would I be here right. Actually originally joined ICMAG specifically due to this damn problem. I am also in SO CAL and someone must be passing out tray after tray of shitty clones infected with these beasts. I had tried for weeks with azamax to no avail until I logged on and found out about Imidocloprid here. It is the only thing that works.

There are different forms of Imid but the Bayer products wor if used right and are inexpensive. I used the "Advanced" soil and turf which says it is systemic for "up to 3 months" I used in it late veg and will have 9 weeks until harvest for it to breakdown so I am not worried. It worked completely in one drench at .5 oz per gallon. I used it in conjunction with a P-Bomb to kill all fliers. This should be done to be sure they don't survive.

These things are a serious pestulance and need to be handled accordingly or they will take over your room, period.

Use Imid it works and has been used in agriculture for years and years.

Good Luck

O

o.sparkles

Ok, three days after my bayer treatment, I can still find crawlers, much less. Now all of a sudden I am seeing white flies also. Mostly just sitting there...but now I have found eggs. After close examination of my soil I have found many eggs, dead bug and junk. I am just scrapping this grow. It's a bummer but everything is dry and I really doubt my plants are gonna pull through in any useful way.

My bad, reused soil and used exterior products with my indoor soil. Complete rookie mistakes, I knew better. It is weird how everyone is getting them though. I really think it's just that everyone is poor and trying to save money.

Bring on Mother's Day and the brilliant sunshine! I am sick of this indoor shit.

O

o.sparkles

# 1 - SickBoyZap is giving legit info for sure.
# 2 - Imid is a sure shot way to fix your root aphid issue.

...I had tried for weeks with azamax to no avail until I logged on and found out about Imidocloprid here. It is the only thing that works.
not to put too fine a point on it but all you can really say is that the IMID worked in conjunction with the azamax. It seems a cogent theory at least that they could have been weakened by your earlier efforts to eradicate them.

I guess only time will tell for all of us.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is weird how everyone is getting them though. I really think it's just that everyone is poor and trying to save money.
it's spring and the soil is warming up. many are coming out of a long winter dormancy looking for food. rising temperatures also increase the frequency/speed of their breeding cycle. it's not weird, it's nature.:plant grow:

O

o.sparkles

it's spring and the soil is warming up. many are coming out of a long winter dormancy looking for food. rising temperatures also increase the frequency/speed of their breeding cycle. it's not weird, it's nature.:plant grow:
So you haven't noticed an increase this year over past years at all?? I haven't even heard of them until this year and I have been growing EVERYTHING indoor and outdoor for 15 years or so. From what I have gathered it's not just me either. Also, the temps of an average indoor grow shouldn't be changing temps that much. My home is always the same temp until it gets hot and we turn the heaters off and we are no where near that yet in the NW. So far I have seen 3 grows nearby, one in the dead of winter, get completely wiped out by the root aphids which I have seen with my own eyes. I discovered them in fact.

Nature IS weird.

Fat J

They have been a problem for grape growers for a long time - maybe it has something to do with the increased number of vineyards? Grape growers use resistant rootstocks and graft their grape vines on em.

The azamax didnt do shyt - it was the imid, and within a week/week n a half after a proper imid app they will all be dead, but you may get a few fliers from dormant eggs, but once they eat some of the treated plant they will die.

Azamax or Azatrol is not intended as an instant contact killer. It interferes with their feeding and reproduction abilities to control population and the effects are delayed.

Relative toxicity of some insecticides and azadirachtin against four crop infesting aphid species
M. Khalequzzaman and Jesmun Nahar
Department of Zoology, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi 6205, Bangladesh Abtract: Indirect application was used to assay the toxicity of five insecticides; viz. malathion, carbosulfan, cymbush, imidacloprid and azadirachtin against four important crop infesting aphid species, Aphis craccivora Koch, Aphis gossypii Glover, Myzus persicae (Sulzer) and Lipaphis erysimi (Kaltenbach), reared on bean, brinjal, potato and cauliflower plants respectively. Residual film technique was applied by bringing leaves with tested aphids of the vegetable plants in the laboratory. Malathion was the least toxic to all aphids having LC50 as 327.97, 333.92, 305.26 and 313.77 µg cm-2 for A. craccivora, A. gossypii, M. persicae and M. persicae respectively. Cypermethrin was the most toxic showing LC50 as 12.55, 12.29, 12.55 and 12.10 µg cm-2 in the above mentioned species of aphid respectively. Carbosulfan and imidacloprid showed moderate toxicity. Azadirachtin as a natural plant origin insecticide proved to be the most toxic having LC50 as 0.41 µg cm-2 for A. craccivora, 0.34 µg cm-2 for A. gossypii and 0.44 µg cm-2 for both M. persicae and L. erysimi. Key words: Insecticide, toxicity, azadirachtin, Aphis craccivora, Aphis gossypii, Myzus persicae, Lipaphis erysimi
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...ds&cd=27&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
O

o.sparkles

They have been a problem for grape growers for a long time - maybe it has something to do with the increased number of vineyards? Grape growers use resistant rootstocks and graft their grape vines on em.

The azamax didnt do shyt - it was the imid, and within a week/week n a half after a proper imid app they will all be dead, but you may get a few fliers from dormant eggs, but once they eat some of the treated plant they will die.
Right, I hear you. Thing is, you can't go back in time and not use the Azamax on a couple isolated plants to see the difference. I didn't use the Azamax and I still have crawlers and a couple fliers. I think they are dying slowly but the damage is done for me. I might be ok if I had tried ANYTHING else first to slow them down.

Even better, if I KNEW they had the bugs I would have dosed IMID right away.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I inspected all plants last night and all but 3 have no bugs and are growing and using water.

3 plants in 5 gallon are still limp and not using water..... still full even though their mates are dry etc.

These plants also have visible bugs.

Should I treat them with IMID considering they're 2 ft tall and I would hate to lose them? Or should I chop those 3 and throw em.?

thanks
smiley

Latest posts

Latest posts