What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

O

o.sparkles

I inspected all plants last night and all but 3 have no bugs and are growing and using water.

3 plants in 5 gallon are still limp and not using water..... still full even though their mates are dry etc.

These plants also have visible bugs.

Should I treat them with IMID considering they're 2 ft tall and I would hate to lose them? Or should I chop those 3 and throw em.?

thanks
smiley
I would treat them all. Maybe go half strength on the ones unaffected.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
They have all been treated once.... the unaffected ones have been treated and I assume systemically protected? are you saying the ones doing good now should be treated a second time with the bad ones?

My thoughts right now is everything is protected from the firsdt application of IMID except 3 large plants. (overwatering could be the reason the imid got fushed or something?)

thanks
un-smiley

spleebale

I hate it when they stop drinking. I had some healthy ladies in 2-gal coco that got too heavily watered with affected roots and then stopped drinking it up - basically just sat there. I would highly recommend one of three things... perhaps you can try them in sequence if one does not work:
1)Get heavy air-flow across the soil with good exchange of air to evaporate a lot of the moisture. A heater or de-humidifier may help (because the air needs to be fairly dry to evaporate the water effectively)
2)Transplant the plant(s) to fresh soil - perhaps do a root-ball dunk during transplant (H2O2 if you need to kill a bunch of dead roots, hygrozyme either way, possibly beneficials and/or imid).
3)If the plant is not coming around and neither of these two things helps (giving it a few days to see if it recovers), then you probably want to scrap it. It is always a hard thing to come to terms with, but if the plant is not making aggressive forward progress it will not produce well, and we all know it, even when we don't want to acknowledge it.

Much luck.
-Willie

O

o.sparkles

They have all been treated once.... the unaffected ones have been treated and I assume systemically protected? are you saying the ones doing good now should be treated a second time with the bad ones?

My thoughts right now is everything is protected from the firsdt application of IMID except 3 large plants. (overwatering could be the reason the imid got fushed or something?)

thanks
un-smiley
Oh, I missed the first treatment, my bad.

Fat J

GS: I'd give em another treatment, maybe stronger than the last one... (if its had a week to do its thing) how long do you have till harvest? And if you have time on the others it would be a good idea to do another 1/2 strength treatment just to make sure they dont come back at the end of bloom.

O.S: I never used azamax... im not sure what you're referring to. I used a pyreth spray to get the fliers and it didnt do shit. Used imid and they're all dead. Saw a fungus gnat yesterday, but just 1 and he loked very ill... before treatment there was a small swarm buzzing around my hood and crawling outta the bottoms of my pots.

Splee: if said un-drinking plant is in veg, take a sharp knfe and trim the roots a little, transplant, and treat with imid (if therez still bugs) then give em a little rhizo/rootsxc with their next few feeds.

Fat J

O.S: sorry for the repeat post but I think maybe you just didnt dose em strong enuff or let it soak in well... how strong did u mix ur bayer, which concentration is it, and what medium do u have?

O

o.sparkles

Me? I mixed according to instructions and I am in soil. I currently have them under low light until they show signs of perking up.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
GS: I'd give em another treatment, maybe stronger than the last one... (if its had a week to do its thing) how long do you have till harvest? And if you have time on the others it would be a good idea to do another 1/2 strength treatment just to make sure they dont come back at the end of bloom.

I gave the three plants that weren't using water a fresh dose of IMID and put a fan on em. The rest are due to be fed and watered today and tomorrow so I might work half dose in. I have weeks of veg left and all of flowering so it's not a time thing.

Thanks

O

o.sparkles

T
The azamax didnt do shyt - it was the imid
I thought this meant you tried the Az first as well.
O.S: I never used azamax... im not sure what you're referring to. I used a pyreth spray to get the fliers and it didnt do shit.
Ok, I hear ya, but the point stands that what actually killed them may have been the combo effect. Pyreth, then IMID.

I am not trying to be argumentative here but specifcally note the steps that worked VS the steps that didn't work.

I am seeing that most people who try a combination seem more successful at eradicating them. Also, early detection is a plus...as I can attest to. Ugh.

Fat J

I say the pyreth didnt work cuz 3 days later the fliers were back, and pyreth dunks, neem dunks etc all are really hard on the roots (not sure about aza) with the imid it takes such a small amount of the chem that it is easy on the plant and the systemic protection will kill everything that hatches for at least a mo and a half, so even if u still see bugs for a week, they will die soon... seems the least harsh way 2 break their life cycle - makes the plants poison to the bugs (as well as a buncha other harmful bugs) and seems to not hurt my springtails, tho i dunno about the rest of the microherd (which isnt too important to me as i use chleated nutes anyway)

I have found from many reliable sources, that for a contained infestation, imid is the end-all best least harmful solution (to the plants) to kill these bastards. If its not working for u, you seem to be the exception, maybe its a different type of the bug?

Fat J

Though, maybe the sulphur and pyreth helped kill some dormant eggs in the tray and around the room? The veg area i didnt pyreth is also eradicated of the bugs...

RetroGrow

Veteran
I inspected all plants last night and all but 3 have no bugs and are growing and using water.

3 plants in 5 gallon are still limp and not using water..... still full even though their mates are dry etc.

These plants also have visible bugs.

Should I treat them with IMID considering they're 2 ft tall and I would hate to lose them? Or should I chop those 3 and throw em.?

thanks
smiley

I noticed the same thing: water use way down, even on the plant that seems to have responded well, the pots still heavy, although it usually drinks itself "light" in 2 days. One revegging plant looks like it is done. It is using no water. I have one mother in a solo cup that seems normal after treatment, ie, still drinking normally.
But my biggest plant that I treated looks better, but just not drinking at same rate. I see some "gunkiness" at the bottom of the pot. I am going to pull this from the pot later and check out the roots. I think a root pruning may be in order.
So the bugs are definitely dead, but problems aren't totally solved.

BigSwifty

^Yeah, I've got the same issue... this sure progresses fast. Seems like as soon as the plant starts showing signs it's pretty much already done for. I have one plant that just started to show the yellow leaves from root aphids and it's not "drinking" at all.

Do the roots grow back at all during flowering? Or are you stuck with what you got? If there's no chance of root re-growth I might have to scrap my BEST plant!!! I guess it'll give me a chance to get into the root ball and inspect damage and see if my treatments are working...

Norkali

People are focusing too much on what works and what doesn't product-wise. I believe that it is WAY more important to focus on how dedicated you are to treatments; i.e. close observation, preventative techniques, multiple modes of attack, and especially tenacity all are very important factors in battling this pest - along with the products. What is the common theme among our victims? No matter what they throw at it, they keep coming back. One dude, Humble1, has already spoken of this and guess what? He has rid himself of this horrible horrible bug, by using (if I remember correctly,) a mix of imid (Merit) and pyrethum use, along with a helping dose of attention and tenacity. (humble, wasn't that you talking about obsessive hippies and pyrethrum? lol)

Myself? I am hopeful that I have ridden myself of them, Azatrol did it for me, (I think) because all I have been using was Azatrol soaks while I tried to find a real good solution. A couple days ago while I was killing my final moms (decided to go back to clone) I added a Tbsp. of Fox Farms Don't Bug Me to a gallon of RO, along with the Azatrol and soaked everything. I have not, knock on wood, seen anything since. My infestation came via a plant in coco (common theme I have been noticing, they seem to love the shit) and even that plant was CLEAN when I pulled it out of it's pot on it's way to the trash bag. Merit 75 will be my atomic bomb if I happen to see another, I will sign the executive order and the bomb will be dropped, I'll turn smart pots into little Hiroshima's and Nagasaki's if I have to goddamnit. For the time being, I'm going keep the pressure on with Azatrol and will be watching root health. Now is not the time to give up just because I don't think I see any. Edit: I've got some pictures for you guys...

forum_2f455681_two_cents_small.jpg

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
People are focusing too much on what works and what doesn't product-wise. I believe that it is WAY more important to focus on how dedicated you are to treatments; i.e. close observation, preventative techniques, multiple modes of attack, and especially tenacity all are very important factors in battling this pest - along with the products. What is the common theme among our victims? No matter what they throw at it, they keep coming back. One dude, Humble1, has already spoken of this and guess what? He has rid himself of this horrible horrible bug, by using (if I remember correctly,) a mix of imid (Merit) and pyrethum use, along with a helping dose of attention and tenacity. (humble, wasn't that you talking about obsessive hippies and pyrethrum? lol)

Myself? I am hopeful that I have ridden myself of them, Azatrol did it for me, (I think) because all I have been using was Azatrol soaks while I tried to find a real good solution. A couple days ago while I was killing my final moms (decided to go back to clone) I added a Tbsp. of Fox Farms Don't Bug Me to a gallon of RO, along with the Azatrol and soaked everything. I have not, knock on wood, seen anything since. My infestation came via a plant in coco (common theme I have been noticing, they seem to love the shit) and even that plant was CLEAN when I pulled it out of it's pot on it's way to the trash bag. Merit 75 will be my atomic bomb if I happen to see another, I will sign the executive order and the bomb will be dropped, I'll turn smart pots into little Hiroshima's and Nagasaki's if I have to goddamnit. For the time being, I'm going keep the pressure on with Azatrol and will be watching root health. Now is not the time to give up just because I don't think I see any.

Just wanted to highlight this so people can see what I did..... and the fact I'll be tossing 3 plants that have a month and a half veg.

Keep on it folks and lets get a list of absolutely did nothing products. :)

Don't bug me
floromite
azamax

smiley

BigSwifty

I totally agree man. You have to be diligent as hell to get rid of bugs. It takes A LOT of time, but if you are dedicated I think you can pretty much get them under control. Of course pyrethrum won't work with one treatment. You gotta soak them, and then come back and soak them 3 days later (probably the next watering in soil). Then after a few more days, you want to repeat that process. I also throw in nicotine and stuff and then once the pyrethrum treatments are done I use nematodes. We'll see how it works.

Also, Don't bug me diluted in water is pointless!! It's already diluted in water!! If you're using pyrethrum for a soak you need a concentrated liquid pyrethrum like Bug Buster O or Pyganic.. And pyrethrum itself I don't believe is hard on the roots at all! If you get a pyrethrum product like Bug Buster O that is in mineral oil then you may seem some effects, but it is from the oil (NOTE: I haven't seen any effects after 2 treatments at 60-75% listed dosage). Also other products (like Pyreth-It) have piperonyl butoxide (PBO) in them and that can also be harmful to plants. However, if you get a product like Pyganic... which is basically just organic pyrethrum... I'm fairly sure it's pretty harmless on the plants. You could probably give them several soaks and be OK. I don't believe it contains mineral oils or petroleum distallates, but anyone should probably verify before using.

Anyone know if the roots can regenerate at all in flowering after root aphid damage?

O

o.sparkles

Anyone know if the roots can regenerate at all in flowering after root aphid damage?
That all depends on extent of damage and lateness of flowering. I can tell you that if you have lost more than half your leaves and are in week 5 or 6 it's probably too late. That's my experience anyhow.

Cannabean

thank jah for this forum, you people, and this thread. I got these buggers and went from worried to death to 'attack mode' after reading this whole thread. icmag is awesome.

Has anyone in Canada had these buggers yet?

I just saw them recently and I'm having trouble finding something that is proven to kill them.

Apparently Merit, (imid) was taken off the market, at least in Ontario.

Anyone from Canada/Ontario able to comment? Many Thanks.

I know they were banning or severely restricting imid in France, Switzerland and Germany but I didn't realize they were already banning it in Canada as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts