What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philips 315w CDM Elite (CMH)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Which 400's?

The Agro has a bit different spectrum. Cool.

I still have 5 of the Retro White 400's that are great.
what? 10 years ago CMH came by way of a 400w bulb that was sparked by a standard 400w MH ballast or was it 400w HPS ballast. I still have that set up on the shelf.

EDIT: sorry Sub, I read you post sideways and came to the same conclusion:tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
just finished my 2nd harvest in a 4x3.5ft tent with '2' 315's- previously was growing in a open room with 1000watters- my observation is that a 1000hps is vastly superior to 315's - i have never run 400 or 600hps's so can't comment on em, but bud size/penetration/tricome production is way better with 1000w

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
of course it is. There's no way you can compare a 315w bulb to a 1kw bulb and expect better results for a 315w bulb.

M

moose eater

I think Zach was comparing TWO 315s to ONE 1,000, which, if memory serves, used to be a somewhat common comparison.. sort of; One 630 to one 1,000.

My earlier runs with 1 315 where I had used a single 400 hps digital, resulted in the same or similar findings/observations as Zach's...

HOWEVER, I also 'noted' that feeding requirements (not just my habits, but requirements, as there seemed a collision course between former feeding habits, and the requirements resulting from the changes in spectrum, etc) were -probably- different.

Stands to reason, no? When changing up spectrum and light quality/intensity, the metabolism of the plants is/are affected, and needs to find the comfy zone again.

My .10 cents on that subject from my first couple or 3 runs after the changes from older digi hps, to 315cmh.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still wont get the same yields from 2 315 fixtures.. foot print and penetration is not the same. When I did my tests I used 1 630 de CMH in a adjust a wing vs 1 kw DE HPS in the same adjust a wing. CMH beat the HPS in GPW.

Last edited:
M

moose eater

In my case, 3 of 4 cabinets were 4'x4' and 1 was 3.5'x3.5', comparing (1) 400 digital hps to (1) 315cmh. Closer to same:same, while acknowledging the 85 watts less usage.

Hence, not wanting to change my lighting to (2) 315cmh's per box, as that would be nearly $500x4 and might not even fit in the 3.5x3.5 cabinet very well, or allow clearances to sides, I added the custom-welded, angled aluminum hangers in each corner, to accommodate 4 (what is presented as) 120-watt equivalent, 17-watt actual LED floods in 2 specific spectrums; 3,000k and 5,000k.

Given the lethargy of the moment, it'll be a bit before I am able to get back into fine-tuning any feeds and posting anything about results, though I'm closer to having the soilless mix -right- where I want it.

At this point, I'm permitting the younger clones in 3" pots to dictate how fast I need to get the remainder of tasks finished; the old mantra from river-dwelling days.. "'Must' is the motivator!!"

M

moose eater

Note to the above: I'm not incredibly well informed re. COB LED lighting. Read a bit about it in the past. But after considering my earlier post, etc., I may end up augmenting the 315cmh's with COBs in the corners, using the same custom brackets if possible, where I currently have the LED floods, changing over 1 box at a time, for better light quality, penetration, lumens, etc..

Or, as a family member pointed out, such endeavors are often equal to owning a boat, where finding holes in which to throw money are involved.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anyone tried grower houses new 500w cmh? Wonder how it would compare to roughly the same wattage quantum board...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive been using Growers Choice Master Pursuit dual 500w for over a year now. Love them..

I have there ROI-E420 led on the way to test. Its here :D

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are if you want the bulbs to last.. CMH bulbs are made to run on LFSWB. They will work on HFB but with only half the bulb life

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phillips is the leading expert and was 1st with CMH. There ballasts are LF..All the CMH ballast I use are LF. When using these on a HFB you will get 10k hrs, on a LFB you will get 20k hrs. Unless somethings changed this is what its been. You could ask any CMH bulb vendor.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
where you got this information?

and why is lumatek 315W ballast low frequency and
630W ballast high frequency?

any pics?
grow report?

No grow report. There's some pics in my album.

Had 5 plants GG4, a mystery volunteer, PurpAl, and two different PurpAl x Quantum Kush.

This was not my biggest harvest. I have yielded in the low 430s a couple times, but that was with a 600hps in a closet.

These 5 were in a 3x3 vipar Spectre tent under a vertical bulb 315 with remote ballast Prism Lighting Science.

That was my first time blooming under a 315. Im still learning and know that I can do better. Especially considering this run had a PurpAl plant, she's low yielder even after vegging for-fucking-ever. PurpAl only yeilded 63 grams and I think that's the most I ever got from her. BUT I think this the best tasting, looking, and smelling run of her in 4 years of her life. She came out excellent this time.

This pic was of a lower branch of PurpAl x Quantum Kush. It made pic of the week at cocoforcannabis. She yield over 80 grams. Her sister yield 104ish
picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
No grow report. There's some pics in my album.

Had 5 plants GG4, a mystery volunteer, PurpAl, and two different PurpAl x Quantum Kush.

This was not my biggest harvest. I have yielded in the low 430s a couple times, but that was with a 600hps in a closet.

These 5 were in a 3x3 vipar Spectre tent under a vertical bulb 315 with remote ballast Prism Lighting Science.

That was my first time blooming under a 315. Im still learning and know that I can do better. Especially with my PurpAl plant, she's low yielder even after vegging forever.

This pic was of a lower branch of PurpAl x Quantum Kush. It made pic of the week at cocoforcannabis. She yield over 80 grams. Her sister yield 104ish
View Image

that is a beautiful bud...

Fladi

Phillips is the leading expert and was 1st with CMH
i think philips is the only one.

do you think other Brands have a factory and can build it by themself?
they are only Resellers.
all bulps you can buy are from philips.
you Need many millions of Dollars for design and factory.

Latest posts

Latest posts