What's new

Philips 315w CDM Elite (CMH)

alpo

Ive been using Growers Choice Master Pursuit dual 500w for over a year now. Love them..

I have there ROI-E420 led on the way to test. Its here :D

picture.php

picture.php

Hammerhead How do you like the ROI-E420 compared to a 315w CMH? I am looking for a light for a 3ftx3ft. Thanks

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hammerhead How do you like the ROI-E420 compared to a 315w CMH? I am looking for a light for a 3ftx3ft. Thanks

Ive been using it in my 5x5 male tent. The tent has served me well for 9 years. My plants could not pray any harder under it. This is not a male. Im using the tent as an overflow to flower in. Only 1 plant in there. You will love the ROI-E420..
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0221.JPG Views:	0 Size:	272.5 KB ID:	17869652

alpo

Ive been using it in my 5x5 male tent. The tent has served me well for 9 years. My plants could not pray any harder under it. This is not a male. Im using the tent as an overflow to flower in. Only 1 plant in there. You will love the ROI-E420..

In terms of quality, how does a 315w CMH compare to the LEDs flower?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In terms of quality, how does a 315w CMH compare to the LEDs flower?

Ive only flowered 4 plants under this LED. I love CMH to flower under, the quality is superb. The quality on LED flowers is still very good. It def takes time to learn how to grow well under LED. LED will never have the same penetration HID lights give. The biggest issue with HID is the heat output. With LED the heat they produce is minimal. It's why people have to add heat because there is no IR heat to help your plants transpire. So LED rooms need to run hotter 85f. That plant is being run in 100f temps do to the tent being in my veg room which has a metal roof, No AC. .

alpo

Ive only flowered 4 plants under this LED. I love CMH to flower under, the quality is superb. The quality on LED flowers is still very good. It def takes time to learn how to grow well under LED. LED will never have the same penetration HID lights give. The biggest issue with HID is the heat output. With LED the heat they produce is minimal. It's why people have to add heat because there is no IR heat to help your plants transpire. So LED rooms need to run hotter 85f. That plant is being run in 100f temps do to the tent being in my veg room which has a metal roof, No AC. .

What about room temp for CMH, I can't find it online anywhere.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

I've tried LEDs but I'm guessing you are correct in saying, "It def takes time to learn how to grow well under LED". I didnt do very well with them but couldn't change regiments that have been realized first hand under HID while blooming. So went back to HID for yes penetration but to what I know how to use and do not have to change my nute PPMs or PH responsibilities they do well under. My household AC runs between 72*F and 75*F. If I run my room with 1K HPS, with no additional AC, it runs about 90*F. (Not running additional AC is very appealing)
You're saying that I'd need to add heat with LEDs? Then I'd have to run a heater. Much more quiet but cost is probably more to run it. Give and take is OK with me though.
I've seen your posts over the years HH, is there a kinda sum up LED growing anomalies thread I could go to to learn more? Thanks for the input.:good:

EDIT: Maybe 'someone' would start one that could become a sticky.
You maybe or one of the LED sponsors could take up the education and sell more LEDs.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about room temp for CMH, I can't find it online anywhere.
All hid lights produce a lot of heat.. Perfect temps under HID are 78f. That goes for HPS as well.

I've tried LEDs but I'm guessing you are correct in saying, "It def takes time to learn how to grow well under LED". I didnt do very well with them but couldn't change regiments that have been realized first hand under HID while blooming. So went back to HID for yes penetration but to what I know how to use and do not have to change my nute PPMs or PH responsibilities they do well under. My household AC runs between 72*F and 75*F. If I run my room with 1K HPS, with no additional AC, it runs about 90*F. (Not running additional AC is very appealing)
You're saying that I'd need to add heat with LEDs? Then I'd have to run a heater. Much more quiet but cost is probably more to run it. Give and take is OK with me though.
I've seen your posts over the years HH, is there a kinda sum up LED growing anomalies thread I could go to to learn more? Thanks for the input.:good:

EDIT: Maybe 'someone' would start one that could become a sticky.
You maybe or one of the LED sponsors could take up the education and sell more LEDs.

You would get better help in the LED section. Im, not the person to help with LED..

alpo

All hid lights produce a lot of heat.. Perfect temps under HID are 78f. That goes for HPS as well.

I have read the CMH produces less IR than HPS but more than LEDs. So I assume it would be different than HPS to achieve the same leaf surface temperature.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have read the CMH produces less IR than HPS but more than LEDs. So I assume it would be different than HPS to achieve the same leaf surface temperature.

It does burn cooler, Ive never measured the difference. I don't expect that to affect much. CMH is still hot enough to start a fire or burn you badly. The main benefit was that your AC would not need to cycle on/off as often keeping your room at setpoint vs HPS. Without cooling your room would be way too hot regardless when using CMH...

I dont use AC only air exchange. Its way freaking hot in my flower room. Summer runs its 90f in there. It was the main reason to use LED.

alpo

edit: I just ordered a few Sun System 315w Ballast, they're on closeout 91.35. I will see how these do.

Last edited:

randomode

hi to all, thanks for all the value information i found here, im from argentina, here there a few people working whit cmd lamps, this is my first setup im trying to make, first of all here there is very difficult to find staff, the prices are a crazy thing and nobody can spend that money yet, i bought a ballast MASTERCOLOR ELITE MEDIUM WATTAGE ELE MH BAL 210/315W PS 200-277V, i found 2 from a friend who works whit city lights and things like that, im very exited about this ballast, im reading a lot of info about this ballast, so im very happy to found one and star using it, some advice whit this kind of ballast(here we hace 220v so i think i will no hace problem whit that), i bough a lamp(master colour phillips cdm tp mw 315w/930 g12) i read a lot and it was the only lamp philips i can found here in buenos aires, i read about elite version of this lamp that i think there is a little better than this one but here i cant found it, i just bought this one, i pay it a lot, the problem starts here, there is any distributor or company that make the reflects for this kind of lamps, soo i have to make one by my own, just bought a coolbox and im trying to make it work, i cant center the lamp to the coolbox, and there is one problem, here is imposible to find a PGZ18 ceramic halide, the only thing i found was a mogul adaptor to PGZ18, someone knows if this type of adaptors can make any failure to the ballast or the lamp, or its the same using that kind of adaptors or its the same for the lamps and the ballast? tomorrow i will upload some photos of the staff so you can give me some help! thanks for the space and for all the information i found, im very glad :)

przcvctm

Apologies in advance if the answer to my questions have already been covered in this thread. I'm waiting for cataract surgery and my out of date lens prescription prevents me from reading for more than a few minutes of searching.

My 13 year old 400w SunSystem ballast is taking longer and longer to fire my last CMH lamp and I'm in the middle of a grow.

Questions:
-I already know which Philips lamp I want, what is the best remote Square Wave ballast I can buy? Money not as important as ballast quality.
-Is the mogul/pin adapter a reliable connection? Do adapters vary in quality?

HorseBadoritiz

You didn't say which lamp, so I'll assume something at 315W

I know this probably sounds crazy, but you want the best, why not go with a Philips ballast? They came up with this stuff.

First search I came up with:

https://www.hydrotekhydroponics.com/philips-iztmh-315w-ballast-100017

I know you say you can't see much (I've had both my eyes done and could still see the computer screen before that), but I found some used GreenTeks on ebay for $20. They've been just fine for 5 years. Maybe wait til you can see, and look around, ha!

I've got no idea what you're talking about for the connector, I just wire nutted the lamp cord to the ballast.

Good luck with the ballast and surgery!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Apologies in advance if the answer to my questions have already been covered in this thread. I'm waiting for cataract surgery and my out of date lens prescription prevents me from reading for more than a few minutes of searching.

My 13 year old 400w SunSystem ballast is taking longer and longer to fire my last CMH lamp and I'm in the middle of a grow.

Questions:
-I already know which Philips lamp I want, what is the best remote Square Wave ballast I can buy? Money not as important as ballast quality.
-Is the mogul/pin adapter a reliable connection? Do adapters vary in quality?

I made 2 of those Phillips ballast above... Keep in mind they only work on 240v. I still have them for spares. I have a bunch of other cheap ballast that work just as well going on 5 years. The cheapest I got from ebay for 80$ is still working. IMO doesn't matter what ballast you get. I would stay with a quality bulb. I use a mogul to 315w PGZ adaptor in my veg if that's what you referring to, its been working for years. One of my SE hoods is mogul

The old CMH 400w is not the same tech as the 315 cmh. The newer CMH is better in every area. A 315w LFSWB I never tested if it would fire a 400w MH bulb. IMO I wouldn't bother with the old CMH gear. Use newer 315w CMH ballast/bulb tech..

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have '2' phillips 315's in a 4xs3.5ft tent, and i have to say i am not overly impressed with the results... that should be enough lite, but i am always plugging in 2 or 3 cheap led's for side lighting - i think next grow i'll buy one of these new led's -

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never used 315w to flower under. I do use 3-315w cmh in my 4x8 veg tent. Very happy with how healthy my plants are. I've been using 630 and 1KW CMH in flower and love the results. I just swapped out a 1kw CMH for an HLG diablo 630w LED. So far its doing fine. Not sure im ready to swap the whole room to LED just yet. I grow large tree/bushes so I need penetration so I don't think LED can do the same as CMH. I like CMH been using them for 5 years.

RottyRzr

I just added a 315 CMH to my grow room due to low temps. I was running a small auxiliary heater but wasn't happy knowing it was probably using a ton of electricity. My main light is a 400 watt LED so Im looking forward to seeing what the combination of cmh/led will do. Already my leaf surface temps have risen to 73F. Thats up from 68f.

Latest posts

Latest posts