What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perennial (multi year) Cannabis plants/strains. Anybody any proof?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Unfortunately I'm afraid there is not perennial Cannabis anywhere, since by its nature and definition the Cannabis is an annual/seasonal plant.

An annual plant is a plant that completes its life cycle, from germination to the production of seeds, within one growing season, and then dies. The length of growing seasons and period in which they take place vary according to geographical location, and may not correspond to the four traditional seasonal divisions of the year.

On the other hand, it's possible to reveg long flowering cultivars in equatorial latitudes virtually for ever though, at least theoretically, but this is a whole different thing. It's like keeping a mother plant in veg for ever by playing with the photoperiod. I've personally kept plants like that outdoors with the help of aditional lights.

The myth about perennial Cannabis is just that, a myth, or a misuse of a word, since perennial doesn't equal to revegging and maintaining plants alive like that for ever. Perennials and evergreen plants are a whole different thing.

Cheers.

cortoland666

I did for you....
-SamS

Thanks for that.

I think it is more likely that Cannabis will yield tomatoes.... -SamS

That would be funny but I would prefer the opposite I think. Tomatoes with buds smelling like tomatoes could be interesting.

I do not breed bonsai and if I did it is an annual, plain and simple. All Cannabis is. -SamS

More seriously, sorry if I am not clear but English is not my native language, I am convinced that cannabis is an annual plant. I don't want to say otherwise. However can we agree that in some cases, some annual plants are able to live more than a year (without manipulating light cycles)?
That's rare and may not be possible for the vast majority of annual plants but not completely impossible.

cortoland666

Unfortunately I'm afraid there is not perennial Cannabis anywhere, since by its nature and definition the Cannabis is an annual/seasonal plant.

On the other hand, it's possible to reveg long flowering cultivars in equatorial latitudes virtually for ever though, at least theoretically, but this is a whole different thing. It's like keeping a mother plant in veg for ever by playing with the photoperiod. I've personally kept plants like that outdoors with the help of aditional lights.

The myth about perennial Cannabis is just that, a myth, or a misuse of a word, since perennial doesn't equal to revegging and maintaining plants alive like that for ever. Perennials and evergreen plants are a whole different thing.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Mustafunk.
Again I agree that cannabis is annual, I would be silly to not agree with that.
So even if it this kind of behavior happens outdoors naturally, you would say it's still due to manipulating the photoperiod?

cortoland666

I just want to say that there is no disrespect at all in my questions.
I am not trying to put into questions the scientific studies existing on the subject.
I am just trying to find a term explaining what I experienced.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
My cousin had one that was four years old growing between grape vines on his vineyard it was a good smoke to.

A friends dad had one that was around seven years old smoked that to and i have heard others having plants that were years old also.

In no way am i saying cannabis is a Perennial what i am saying is you can re veg re flower a plant harvest most and re grow out the same plant out doors as you can indoors over years.

You your self seen it Sam.

You are trying to split hairs to prove your point, but I ask a simple question, why is all Cannabis worldwide grown as an annual crop, why is there not a single county that grows acres and acres of perennial crops of Cannabis, like grapevines or even hops can be grown? I say because Cannabis is not perennial, is why no one does it anywhere. -SamS
i have also done this , but taking cuttings , revegging them with extended hours indoors ,

and then returning them outside to flower ,
this does not mean its a perennial hempy

we all know on this site you can reveg plants by manipulating the hours to encourage them to reveg , that is very old news ,
you were alluding to the fact it can stay in situ and regrow over an over , not that cuttings can be taken and revegged and returned outdoor or where ever ...

i think u have changed your stance ??

Storm Shadow

Veteran
So what about that Iranian plant lives year round and gets snowed on and still lives thru winter? I have Iranians that flower from 8 weeks until god knows how long...currently 16-17 weeks into flower on 1 wierd pheno and looks like it needs another 3 months to finish...

Yeah how about them apples boys and gals

And how many years does an Iranian plant or plants live in the ground outdoors? 2 years, 3 years 4 years, 5 years, or like many perennials that can live for even longer? A perennial must live more than 2 years. -SamS

Compare Cannabis to a true perennial that can live for 100 years like some apples, how do you like them apples boys and gals and shadows... -SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
So what about that Iranian plant lives year round and gets snowed on and still lives thru winter? I have Iranians that flower from 8 weeks until god knows how long...currently 16-17 weeks into flower on 1 wierd pheno and looks like it needs another 3 months to finish...

Yeah how about them apples boys and gals
have you witnessed those plants living through winter after flowering to regrow and flower again and again ??

i dont know much about iranian plants , but it sounds like its sativa and indica mixed together , which is possible i gather and not the only place its been seen ...

Storm Shadow

Veteran
yeah bro the plants grows in my cousins backyard year round ... the Iranian Gene pool is wild ...nothing looks alike and everything is different .. even terps are all over the place... these genetics are pure as can be

MindEater

Perennial doesnt mean it stays alive longer than a year. Perennial shoots die every winter then come back from dormant roots in the spring.

If you don't kill an annuals shoots it can stay alive for ever. Once you kill its shoots, it's won't come back. There's no reason Cannabis couldn't be done orchard style with gaslamping.

You have no understanding of Cannabis botany I think, have you ever seen a Cannabis plant that all the perennial shoots die back and then come back from dorment roots in the spring? I have never seen anything like that and honestly do not believe it exists.
-SamS

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yeah bro the plants grows in my cousins backyard year round ... the Iranian Gene pool is wild ...nothing looks alike and everything is different .. even terps are all over the place... these genetics are pure as can be
year after year you mean?? the same plant , without manipulating the hours to encourage reveg ??

when u say pure as genetics , what exactly are you referring too , that they are a landrace with nothing else added ??

because its common to see a wide variation in landrace seed , its how they survive , they are diverse ....

Storm Shadow

Veteran
they just treat it like any fruit tree and lives year round ... they harvest 3/4 of the plant and leave the rest of the growth on... and it lives thru winter ...back to business in the spring..

Yeah 100% Pure Landrace ... Mad variation.. but the 20+ week pheno which was only 1 out of 20+ must have something to do with the ones that last thru winter ....

So have you done this with any of your plants growing outdoors, not in Iran, how many years did they live? Same question about the plants growing in a backyard in Iran how many years did a single plant live?? Where outdoors, latitude and altitude did you yourself do this? Or is it just a theory that you think might be true? I suspect it is not a fact, it is speculation, nothing more. I have grown millions of plants, thousands of landraces, Iranian included and none did this. I understand why you want to believe this but faith is not what we are talking about, we want any theory to be proven. So if your landrace is a real landrace does that mean it is grown by the millions of plants or at least hundreds of thousands of plants, like all other Cannabis landraces? -SamS

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You are trying to split hairs to prove your point, but I ask a simple question, why is all Cannabis worldwide grown as an annual crop, why is there not a single county that grows acres and acres of perennial crops of Cannabis, like grapevines or even hops can be grown? I say because Cannabis is not perennial, is why no one does it anywhere. -SamS
You asked me a question Sam and i answeard you and what point am i trying to prove here ?,You have all ready posted saying this.

Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman
.I have only seen seeds or clones that when planted outdoors in S calif in the ground say in Dec grew, started to flower because of the short photoperiod, and then by april-May regenerated veg because of the daylight hours increased to make them veg,
You have all ready posted saying you saw a cannabis plant go back to veg after a cycle.

No ones saying this is being done on a commercial scale and i am not saying cannabis is a Perennial plant here.

You asked me if i had done it my self or seen a 7 year old plant i posted and said oldest i saw was 4 years old and oldest i herd of was 7 years old.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You asked me a question Sam and i answeard you and what point am i trying to prove here ?,You have all ready posted saying this.

You have all ready posted saying you saw a cannabis plant go back to veg after a cycle.

No ones saying this is being done on a commercial scale and i am not saying cannabis is a Perennial plant here.

You asked me if i had done it my self or seen a 7 year old plant i posted and said oldest i saw was 4 years old and oldest i herd of was 7 years old.
""i am not saying cannabis is a Perennial plant here.""

actually you are saying that hempy ,did u read the definition of an annual and a perennial ??

7 years is a little different to it happening once ,

i can tell you here we can get them to reveg once also ,, because we plant now ,, harvest in october ,
if we leave some growth on the plant , due to rain and increasing hours , they will reveg and grow back and flower again ,
once ,, only once man , not year after year for 4-7 years ,

not without taking cuttings and manipulating the day lengths ...

id say you are also getting mixed up with cannabis botany like sam pointed out to another poster earlier ,
they cant reveg over and over without interference from humans ,

because they are not a perennial .. its as simple as that really ,

if it wasnt you would hear many stories of it happening , but we dont ...

there would be guys on this forum showing how their plant survived year after year , but we dont ...

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Sam your hilarious bro.... I'll believe my family who lives there over some dude who claims he can walk on water and not get wet....

Explain the 6 month phenos in the Landrace Iranians...

Hamadan.... Ive only had a thread for 10 years on the Landrace Iranians and now you can claim for the first time ever youve grown them too.... sure buddy...you've done it all

Can we see some pics of anything you've grown in the modern era...say since cell phone cameras? I hear about all these stories like moby dick and Lochness about you... yet just like the stories..theres nothing to show

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Sam your hilarious bro.... I'll believe my family who lives there over some dude who claims he can walk on water and not get wet....

Explain the 6 month phenos in the Landrace Iranians...

Hamadan.... Ive only had a thread for 10 years on the Landrace Iranians and now you can claim for the first time ever youve grown them too.... sure buddy...you've done it all

Can we see some pics of anything you've grown in the modern era...say since cell phone cameras? I hear about all these stories like moby dick and Lochness about you... yet just like the stories..theres nothing to show
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
""i am not saying cannabis is a Perennial plant here.""

actually you are saying that hempy ,did u read the definition of an annual and a perennial ??

7 years is a little different to it happening once ,

i can tell you here we can get them to reveg once also ,, because we plant now ,, harvest in october ,
if we leave some growth on the plant , due to rain and increasing hours , they will reveg and grow back and flower again ,
once ,, only once man , not year after year for 4-7 years ,

not without taking cuttings and manipulating the day lengths ...

id say you are also getting mixed up with cannabis botany like sam pointed out to another poster earlier ,
they cant reveg over and over without interference from humans ,

because they are not a perennial .. its as simple as that really ,

if it wasnt you would hear many stories of it happening , but we dont ...

there would be guys on this forum showing how their plant survived year after year , but we dont ...

Your make it up as you go Donald try sticking to the facts.

Please feel free to quote were you claim i have allegedly claimed cannabis is a Perennial plant you wont find it.

So are CLAIMING cannabis can not be flowered then re vegged and flowered and re vegged ?.

Sam has already posted he has seen it happen out doors so as it re vegged and hit spring that would make it a year old flower it again and watch it re veg would make it how old Donald ?.

I know youlove to prove every thing i post is bull shit but i don't lie any one that knows me knows how serious i take my ward my hobbies and my Integrity.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Your make it up as you go Donald try sticking to the facts.

Please feel free to quote were you claim i have allegedly claimed cannabis is a Perennial plant you wont find it.

So are CLAIMING cannabis can not be flowered then re vegged and flowered and re vegged ?.

Sam has already posted he has seen it happen out doors so as it re vegged and hit spring that would make it a year old flower it again and watch it re veg would make it how old Donald ?.

I know youlove to prove every thing i post is bull shit but i don't lie any one that knows me knows how serious i take my ward my hobbies and my Integrity.
do you even read what people write hempy ,

you have no basic understanding of how many things work ,
its like arguing with a half wit , seriously man ,
read what i wrote , then engage your brain a little ,

then respond ok ,,

read what is a perennial plant and then come back ,
ive made it easy for you by already posting it on this thread ,

i understand how things work man and i read what people write in response ,
dont bother responding without reading first ....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Here is a video of a 3 year old plant and its in a pot by the looks the one i saw and the ones i herd of were all were in the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGpqnJ3bYfI

I think this Guys in Cali again out doors plants in the ground been threw flower and are all re vegging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O49_bqfHQ9o
hahaha

that kid is talking shit hempy ,
3 year old plant , no way man , hes a bullshit artist and clearly just a kid ,you can hear it in his voice ,
plus the stalk is not what he says , big ass stalk lmao ,
its a tree he said , no its not , its just a plant ,
i wouldnt believe a word that boy said ,

see this is how you end up believing in bullshit man ,

the second one , i already said in my post plants can reveg , but you dont read what people write ,
u cannot get a plant to continually reveg without increasing the day length

via lights , and its likely they root system is going to die also and you ll need to make cuttings after the first reveg , why?? , because its an annual ,

that means it grows for a season and dies ,

if you really want to be taken seriously and this is your hobby ,

learn more about plants man , not just cannabis , all plants ,, particularly the difference between an annual and a perennial ,
then you wont be wasting the time of folks that have bothered to learn these things ,
and who are not as gullible as you clearly ..

Last edited: