What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perennial (multi year) Cannabis plants/strains. Anybody any proof?

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
(...)
they dont tend to winter very well either ,, short cool days are not conducive to reveging...

Hi Donald, perennial doesn't mean necessarily re-vegetation all year, it means mainly that the plant survive a dormancy phase and then re-veg! So with a frost free location like at the equator is it theoricaly possible? Then in practice the trim or tip prune before the dormancy have to be carefully done like the vine.

(The altitude parameter is also important to study imho).

Well even at a temperate and dry location with a good mulch during the winter is it possible? Not impossible i would say, but surely depends on the genetics used, with landraces from the tropics or equator maybe it works better but of course an acclimatization is first necessary!

Here is an example of an easy Swazi re-veg mother plant indoor.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi roms , id like to say possible ,
but in the close on 40 years ive been growing ,, landraces etc ,
and mostly in the tropics , ive not seen it happen ,
nor have any of my friends ,
so im of the thought its not possible ..

the coast here never gets frost and stays warm all year ,
frost doesnt tend to kill them anyhow , ive seen seedlings handle it without an issue ,

Frost can kill or seriously harm flowering plants of some Cannabis varieties, I agree that young seedlings can take light freezes easy, almost all varieties. -SamS

annuals just tend to have a timeclock that prevents them from going longer than 12 months , its very rare to get them any longer even in the tropics , even at the equator , and from what ive seen impossible to call any cannabis perennial ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Ya bro the other big problem even at the equator or tropics is the humidity level for coast locations, that's why the altitude could also change the game?

By knowing that Human switched the vine to perennial...!:woohoo:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi SS, late exquisite nugs miamm, Afghans do it too! Thousands years of love and breedings there!

(The marvelous adaptability of cannabis is really incredible!)

Do you know if they succeed some trees from one year to another with big trim before, temperated altitude fields in Iran?

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Here is the plant in Iran from back in 2019

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Im growing seeds from these atm

cortoland666

Without talking about fairy tales strains like this Forever Bud, I had an experience which made me wondering about the possibility of perennial strains.

I am quite far from the equator between 40 and 45°lat N and, a few years ago, I had a couple of sativa dominant hybrids surviving the winter on my balcony and regrowing (revegging) again at the beginning of the spring.
I tried to flower Amnesia Sativa (from USC) and Caribe (Cannabiogen) on my balcony but street lights delayed the flowering too much to make it work. I didn't kill the plant and only chop the terminal buds while leaving most of the pop corn ones with most of the remaining leaves. The plants were like in stasis during the whole winter. No growth but no dying neither, no mold, even with some occasional freezing temps, and almost no drinking.
The plants "woke up" and revegged in late February-early March, then began to flower but didn't finish because they went back in veg near June. Then I needed space and ended killing these but I am sure they would have flower again if I would have been able to place these in a spot without street lights. And these strains are far from extreme equatorial sativas, only manageable sativa dominant hybrids.

So, with the right strain of course, if you leave enough plant material on your plant and if they experience only rare to no freezing, what would prevent the plant to flower again a second time? Experiencing this made me wonder if the Reunion people could be right about some strains of Zamal having multiple flowering cycles. It doesn't seem too much of a stretch to me.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i think many are confused as to what a perennial is ...

A perennial plant or simply perennial is a plant that lives more than two years. The term is often used to differentiate a plant from shorter-lived annuals and biennials. The term is also widely used to distinguish plants with little or no woody growth from trees and shrubs, which are also technically perennials.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A plant can be flowered, re-vegged, re-flowered, re-vegged, re-flowered indoors, but that's because we control the lights and can flip it from 12/12 to 24/0 to force a re-veg.

I don't see how this would be possible outdoors due to the relative slow speed at which day/night length changes.

Betterhaff

Veteran
.I have only seen seeds or clones that when planted outdoors in S calif in the ground say in Dec grew, started to flower because of the short photoperiod, and then by april-May regenerated veg because of the daylight hours increased to make them veg, that does not mean they are perennial, just that they are trying to respond to the photoperiod.

In general Cannabis clones made from veg mothers do way better than a re-vegged mother being flowered mostly harvested and stuck under long light photoperiods to be grown veg again, to be flowered again. it can be done but not in nature, and the mother plant will waste a bunch of time resetting its veg/flower clock, as well as the earlier maturing varieties do not want to survive re-vegging as easy as late maturing, long flowering varieties.

I can take clones from late, long maturing plants that have flowered for 12+ weeks and stick the clones under 24 hour light and often get then to re-veg I have done it many times, it is not hard with the right varieties, handy to do selections of the best seedlings of a massive crop to avoid having to clone every single female, instead just wait until almost done flowered and only clone the very best to keep for the future, this is not easy with earlier maturing varieties.

I have read many claims that people have seen Cannabis growing in the wild that was obviously 2,3, years old that flowered, revegged, flowered, revegged, flowered, but I have never seen it myself and I have looked and looked in dozens of countries where Cannabis grows wild and where Cannabis is grown by man, if a plant is 20 feet tall and massive in size I suspect people think it could be annual, I predict it is not.

The closest I have seen are Autos (age determinate instead of photoperiod determinate) that will continue to flower, and making new veg that also flowers but if they are exposed to extream cold they die, on the equator maybe some would continue to flower and continue to make new flowers not really perennial but more than annual?
They are not what I like to grow, I like a plant that grows veg, flowers and at the end of flowering frosts out with resin, as resin is the name of the game for me.

-SamS
How about a seed mother being bonsai?

I do not know what a bonsai has to do with being a perennial, if you give a bonsai long dark periods it will flower and die, that is not a perennial is it? -SamS

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman
.I have only seen seeds or clones that when planted outdoors in S calif in the ground say in Dec grew, started to flower because of the short photoperiod, and then by april-May regenerated veg because of the daylight hours increased to make them veg,

And that is how its done but people cut the plant right back to the lower part of the steam were there is new growth.

It is repeated over and over and the oldest plant i herd was 7 years old.

Have you done it yourself or seen the 7 year old perennial plant, for the 7 years? I have looked and looked and never seen it except the reasons I mentioned and that is not a true perennial plant. -SamS

Farmers in India used to tell me that Papayas were from India and have always been grown there, but it is not true Papaya is a new world crop from the Americas, the farmers just do not know what they are talking about. -SamS

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
And that is how its done but people cut the plant right back to the lower part of the steam were there is new growth.

It is repeated over and over and the oldest plant i herd was 7 years old.

Have you done it yourself or seen the 7 year old perennial plant, for the 7 years? I have looked and looked and never seen it except the reasons I mentioned and that is not a true perennial plant. -SamS
nope , its not a perennial hempy ,
you love to believe the unbelievable , what a funny little world you live in man ,
im sure there are fairies , giants , witches and magic in your world , but in the real world where the rest of us live , cannabis is an annual im afraid ...

Betterhaff

Veteran
How about a seed mother being bonsai?

I do not know what a bonsai has to do with being a perennial, if you give a bonsai long dark periods it will flower and die, that is not a perennial is it? -SamS
woody or not is not criteria for perennial. not sure about the long dark periods.

as far as I know cannabis is an annual that may be manipulated.

if you give a bonsai long dark periods it will flower and die

How long? can you take them to the edge?

that is not a perennial is it? -Sam S

No , but let me ask you this, when breeding, how do you treat them...as an annual or...

I do not breed bonsai and if I did it is an annual, plain and simple. All Cannabis is. -SamS

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

Farmers in India used to tell me that Papayas were from India and have always been grown there, but it is not true Papaya is a new world crop from the Americas, the farmers just do not know what they are talking about. -SamS
My cousin had one that was four years old growing between grape vines on his vineyard it was a good smoke to.

A friends dad had one that was around seven years old smoked that to and i have heard others having plants that were years old also.

In no way am i saying cannabis is a Perennial what i am saying is you can re veg re flower a plant harvest most and re grow out the same plant out doors as you can indoors over years.

You your self seen it Sam.

You are trying to split hairs to prove your point, but I ask a simple question, why is all Cannabis worldwide grown as an annual crop, why is there not a single county that grows acres and acres of perennial crops of Cannabis, like grapevines or even hops can be grown? I say because Cannabis is not perennial, is why no one does it anywhere. -SamS

cortoland666

Wow, I didn't expect so many reactions to this old thread.
I agree that perennial may not be the right term for cannabis. Obviously, the vast majority of cannabis strains doesn't live more than one season. And to be clear, I am not talking about bonsai mother plants nor any cannabis plant below a lamp indoor.

So considering that, how would you call a plant that acts as I described in my previous post? As I said, this behavior to go from flowering to veg back to flowering then back to veg again occurred naturally outdoor between September and June of the following year. I didn't put the plants indoor under 18/6 or more hours of lights.

As far as I know, tomato is not a perennial plant neither but there are multiple examples of tomato plant surviving the winter and even living several years.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/tomatoes-grow-last-years-plant-55979.html

https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/gardening/news/a7476/disney-world-tomato-tree-record/

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tree_tomato.html

I even personally saw that with my own eyes. I kept a tomato plant (a normal strain, not a tomato tree as in the above links) which I thought was dead at the end of the season just to see new green growths shouting out in the spring from brown old parts of the tomato.

Why would not it be possible for cannabis? Again, I am not saying a cannabis plant could live decades. I just think it's not totally impossible, with the right strain and right conditions.
So maybe not perennial but short-lived perennial as they called these multi-years tomato plants.

I think it is more likely that Cannabis will yield tomatoes.... -SamS

Latest posts

Latest posts