What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perennial (multi year) Cannabis plants/strains. Anybody any proof?

Cvh

Supermod
^I agree that it would be possible with genetic manipulation and possibly also with autoflowers (ruderalis crosses). Sam The Skunkman made this comment earlier in this thread about the possible use of some auto's.

Why you messing around with Colchicine? You trying to create Polyploids or something? Colchicine is wicked dangerous stuff, it needs lab equipment and trained professionals to deal with it properly. Also over the many decades that people has been diving into that rabbithole there's not one polyploid plant created that has characteristics that I would deem beneficial for our hobby.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Cannabis isn't some magical unicorn of the plant world. It's an annual, always has been always will be, it doesn't have root stock that allows it to re-veg or re-flower year after year. A little strange this isn't treated as fact in a cannabis growing forum.

Imagine how cool it'd be it it were perennial though. Would make guerilla growing a lot more lucrative...
Thanks for some sense in this thread I was thinking the same , cannabis is just a plant and it's not magical but the imagination of some might make you think they believe it is lol

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Lambsbread one over 20 weeks reveg, (10/14)
#11ensemble by Volcanik.jpg
Captu.PNG

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Maybe a stupid question, but if you can reveg a plant indefinitely, doesn't that kinda make it a perennial? Just a thought, but maybe it is our treatment of it that kills it or starts senescence. I'm sure there are perennials you could kill by treating it like we treat weed last 4 weeks/when we harvest
annuals are annuals , perennials are perennials,
if it was a perennial, or even had a longer cycle and flowered over a 2 year cycle ,
it would be in a different category to what it is ,
its an annual because it behaves like one,
and you cant reveg a plant indefinitely ,
the root system only lasts so long ,
you need to take a cutting and reveg that , as is done over and over by growers all round the world ...

folks need to study a bit more about gardening , seriously ,
i thought thats why we were here ...

Itman

^I agree that it would be possible with genetic manipulation and possibly also with autoflowers (ruderalis crosses). Sam The Skunkman made this comment earlier in this thread about the possible use of some auto's.

Why you messing around with Colchicine? You trying to create Polyploids or something? Colchicine is wicked dangerous stuff, it needs lab equipment and trained professionals to deal with it properly. Also over the many decades that people has been diving into that rabbithole there's not one polyploid plant created that has characteristics that I would deem beneficial for our hobby.
Young and stupid.
I did observe a myriad of expression in the progeny.
Similar growing traits
color being most noticeable.
10lb 9 plants little maintenance little experience.
Drove over them with my bobcat they didn't die so a friend took them away and replanted.

Reactions: Cvh

Redrum92

annuals are annuals , perennials are perennials,
if it was a perennial, or even had a longer cycle and flowered over a 2 year cycle ,
it would be in a different category to what it is ,
its an annual because it behaves like one,
and you cant reveg a plant indefinitely ,
the root system only lasts so long ,
you need to take a cutting and reveg that , as is done over and over by growers all round the world ...

folks need to study a bit more about gardening , seriously ,
i thought thats why we were here ...

Has anyone put a large scale effort into breeding specifically for long term reveg and completely failed?- (thousands of plants for many years)? I've never heard of anyone working genetics/gardening style for this purpose, if anything we breed and garden for the exact opposite- so just because it hasn't happened spontaneously doesn't necessarily mean it cant.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but specifically on the point of indefinite reveg: why do you believe that's 100% impossible? Through selective breeding, and manipulation of light and nutrients, all sorts of weird stuff is possible

I don't see how semi-perennial or indefinitely reveg'ed plants would be useful, but it's still an interesting discussion to better understand the plant imho

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
we are discussing what cannabis is though, not what we think it could be,
currently we take cuttings and manipulate hours in order to allow the plants to reveg ,it works
so why would we do anything else ??
anyhow , no i dont think it would work , maybe using gmo something else may arise ,
but i dont think some selective breeding will turn an annual into anything more than an annual ...

Latest posts

Latest posts