What's new

Perennial (multi year) Cannabis plants/strains. Anybody any proof?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
agreed taima da ,
where are all the examples of perennial cannabis ,
all we hear is old wives tales , a friend of a friend , blah blah ,
its almost like it doesnt happen , hehehe ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
It's the same logic as "dogs only live to 8 years old and I don't care if man helps a dog live 20 years, dogs only live 8 years I don't care if you say dogs live 20 years"
using that logic cannabis is perennial because we take cuttings and reveg them and they last decades ,
but actually its not perennial at all ,
and its a plant not a mammal , slight differences .... lol ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
well i can confirm funny stuff does happen down undah ,, lol ...
but our cannabis plants remain annuals ,
some stoners memories are a bit muddled where ever they may be though ....

Taima-da

It was in 'down undah,' and it was minimum 3 years and possibly 5. They may have been mistaken and it was only 2 years, sure. :)

I have a memory for odd stuff and that photo has lingered for many years now.
Yeah, people often mistake a large plant for an old one, and I've had people swear that certain plants must be very old because of the size or they can see where it's died off after being picked last go around.

Think Kanga's photos, huge but annual.

Usually reveg is not as big and healthy as a vigorous individual in it's first season. Takes a while for the reveg to happen and often individuals die from loss of vigour or some fungus getting into the stem, whatever.

You'll often see a seeding outpacing a slow revert, but a "free" revert of known sex is worth keeping even if it starts a little slow.

Not saying all those old stories are completely wrong, it may have happened somewhere sometime

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

this link is about perennial, biennials and annuals,
its pertinent to the conversation at hand ,
cannabis doesnt even fit into the biennial category,
and definitely not in the perennial one...

xet

this link is about perennial, biennials and annuals,
its pertinent to the conversation at hand ,
cannabis doesnt even fit into the biennial category,
and definitely not in the perennial one...
Your logic of "it only fits into the annual category" is good sideline humor.

goingrey

Your logic of "it only fits into the annual category" is good sideline humor.
You are talking about two different things.

It's one thing for a crop to be annual. Like your example of rosemary. Its a crop where the leaves are used for food so obviously as it makes leaves during its first year of life it can be "grown as an annual".

It's a totally different thing for a plant to be an annual (biologically). That means under natural conditions it makes seedbearing fruit during the first year of it's life, then dies. Next year new plants grow from those seeds.

Cerathule

Knocking out FLT genes may perhaps cause it to veg forever, which, given it's high carbon assimilation rate, could help combat climate change.
Just a wild-ass theory though...

Redrum92

Maybe a stupid question, but if you can reveg a plant indefinitely, doesn't that kinda make it a perennial? Just a thought, but maybe it is our treatment of it that kills it or starts senescence. I'm sure there are perennials you could kill by treating it like we treat weed last 4 weeks/when we harvest

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I heard about Thai plants flowering continuously.

The question I keep wondering is why would you want a plant like that??

Cerathule

At some point a flowering plant would start to mold. Once seeds have fallen down, dead tissue is what's left. A feast for spores after the rain

Brother Nature

Cannabis isn't some magical unicorn of the plant world. It's an annual, always has been always will be, it doesn't have root stock that allows it to re-veg or re-flower year after year. A little strange this isn't treated as fact in a cannabis growing forum.

Imagine how cool it'd be it it were perennial though. Would make guerilla growing a lot more lucrative...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm considering just growing for hash with males selected and mostly culled, letting a few lower buds reseed the area where the female grew.

It's like poppies... They're annuals but as anyone who has grown them will tell you they seem like perennials in that you don't have to plant year after year.

Brother Nature

This is an interesting snippet of research, would be interesting to see if there's been any developments in this since 2008...

Annual Plants Converted Into Perennials​

Date: November 11, 2008
Source: VIB (the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology)
Summary: Scientists have succeeded in converting annual plants into perennials. They discovered that the deactivation of two genes in annuals led to the formation of structures that converted the plant into a perennial. This was most likely an important mechanism in plant evolution, initiating the formation of trees.

Full article sort of...

Itman

Hi ICMag family,

As the title says, I'm looking for some proof that Cannabis has the ability to be -in certain circumstances- a perennial?

I have read several stories of giant Cannabis trees that were years and even decades old.

But these are all just stories that I heard.

My foremost question is does anybody have any proof (pictures)? Or what is your opinion/experience on the subject?

Or is Cannabis the only dioecious annual plant out there? Or can it be actually an dioecious deciduous (and/or) herbaceous perennial?

Bonus question, can somebody post another type of plant that is dioecious annual? (Or doesn't any exist?)
Or is Cannabis dioecious because of selection by mankind?

Cheers.

:ying:
Had a plant in Veg garden that went a couple of cycles although quality was poor.
Had also Colchicine treated that continued to veg after flower but culled.
Possibly with genetic manipulation and using Ruderalis it can be achieved unlikely to occur naturally I would speculate.