What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PC Case Growers Club

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
djff, what are the ambient room temperatures?

Unless it's really high, there is no need for a glass (I presume) seperator. It definately looks like it'll get in the way WRT air movement/ventilation.

Think of it like this: a remote ballast HPS produces less heat, per watt, than fluorescent lighting (i.e CFL). So, if you remote ballast your HPS, imagine comparing it to having two 45watt CFL's in your big case. Really shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, 70watt HPS is good for getting the plants close to it, 3 - 5" AFAIK.

People have even put 150watt HPS lights in full tower PC cases - the trick is to use decent 120mm fans for exhaust (and possible inlet) :D

M

mikeraach

Sorry highonthechronic, but having no heat shield in a micro grow just will not work.

That 70w light puts off a LOT of ambient heat. Due to the fact that its only 70w, you only have a 8" bubble to work with. Anything farther than 8" wont get enough light to produce dense buds.

8" being the max, you really want 4-8". I tried this with my second grow (using 120mm fans, and eventually a small squirrel cage fan) and had no heat shield. This was really good airflow (unlike my first grow), but like my first grow I still got very airy buds.

With my 3rd grow despite having nute problems (I starved them) I can tell that they are going to be much denser than my previous runs.

Bottom line: Without cool tubes you need to be far from the light otherwise heat stretch. With a 70w light you have to get too far to prevent heat problems. Yes a shield will block some light, but it will allow you to get very close without heat problems which will give more light intensity than having no shield far away.

THE ONLY WAY TO USE A 70W LIGHT IS TO HAVE A HEAT SHIELD.

Last edited:
G

highonthechroni said:
djff, what are the ambient room temperatures?

hmm its normal temperature, now 18 centigrade
in summer its about 20 - 25

how much is cost 45watt CFL ?

G

since you brought up light distances, whats a PC growers thread w/o a chart?

I've been havin no heat issues w/ 70w hps and 74w of cfls inside. Temps dont exceed 80. Plant is about 5" away from the hps and is doin great. She's really packin on the trichs.

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
mikeraach said:
Sorry highonthechronic, but having no heat shield in a micro grow just will not work.

That 70w light puts off a LOT of ambient heat. Due to the fact that its only 70w, you only have a 8" bubble to work with. Anything farther than 8" wont get enough light to produce dense buds.

8" being the max, you really want 4-8". I tried this with my second grow (using 120mm fans, and eventually a small squirrel cage fan) and had no heat shield. This was really good airflow (unlike my first grow), but like my first grow I still got very airy buds.

With my 3rd grow despite having nute problems (I starved them) I can tell that they are going to be much denser than my previous runs.

Bottom line: Without cool tubes you need to be far from the light otherwise heat stretch. With a 70w light you have to get too far to prevent heat problems. Yes a shield will block some light, but it will allow you to get very close without heat problems which will give more light intensity than having no shield far away.

THE ONLY WAY TO USE A 70W LIGHT IS TO HAVE A HEAT SHIELD.

Nonsense bud :D

Damn I wish OverGrow was still up so I could sink your ship! Like I said, there were various people on OG running 150watt HPS in a full tower PC case, with NO heat shield!

Remember that remote ballast HPS produces less heat than fluorescent lighting... Yes the light may be more intense with HPS, but if you have decent ventilation you should easily be able to get your plants around 3 - 5" from the light (70watt HPS). Remember there are variables involved in that, such as if you have good ventilation/good 120mm fans, if you have a good ambient room temperature etc.

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
djff said:
hmm its normal temperature, now 18 centigrade
in summer its about 20 - 25

how much is cost 45watt CFL ?

Sounds pretty decent :yes:

45watt CFL are probably around $5, not entirely sure as I'm in South Africa. HPS lighting is much better i.e better yield.

G

i believe it hotc, i also have to hop the fence and agree with you on this one. i thought you were referring to housing a 150 in a standard size case, a server seems very possible with right airflow...and the challenge still stands to mod any pc case to house a 150 hps and document a full grow in it

:wave:

G

Ctcoyote16 said:
Damn, Im having so much trouble gutting my case completely... :(

Minus the power supply, the things you see in the front of this case are what Im left with.

http://www.pimpproxy.com/cgi-bin/cg...g.com/gallery/data/500/7979DSC01940-thumb.JPG

Any help on how to remove those boxes and whatnot? It doesnt even seem theyre bolted it, they just kinda are somehoe attached...

yeah man; it's a bitch. I had to bust a dremel out on my case to get it to come apart; too many rivets.

Dopeman_Za

Quick question.

We got a problem with our 70W HPS bulb (brand new). It switches on fine, but 5-10 minutes later will switch off. We have tried changing power sources and running it without the timer. But it doesnt work. Any ideas?

We got everything connected properly, it turns on.

Really annoying... :p

Thanks.

G

does it turn all the way on before turning off or does it only get partially warmed up?

if it doesnt turn all the way on i would say you have a bad bulb

G

heres a small update from my thread... the PK is in the pc veg box now because the other bagseed plants outgrew it

the last pic is of the inside of my rubbermaids

G

my 70 watter takes approx. 1-2 mins to warm up and emit its full potential of lumens

G

Wires got extended finally and now the lamp is in a much better spot.

she's doin fine.

rberciol

I was only on polish section in IC, but i want meet the whole ICMAG ;)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6039/dsc00415bb5.jpg - LR#1's in my PC. I bought not good PC CASE. I have a little problem with light. Holes in PC :).

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1971/dsc00278fj7.jpg
This glass in PC Case is for temperature. Was too high for plants.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5112/dsc00271ul6.jpg - box without glass. On the left side of picture u can see filter with carbon and my nephew's hand ;) .