What's new

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

crunkyeah

Veteran
Hello Bulénath, after stumbling on your thread I was so eager to see how quiet these fans are that I purchased 2 of the 150 CFM model. After pulling one out of the box and taking it out of the packaging and putting it on my box affirming that it fits nearly perfectly I was astounded that there are no wires to wire this bad baby up.

Back on like page 3 or something I noticed you stated that there are only 3 wires to hook up; unfortunately I cannot find these 3 wires. Did you have to dissemble the unit any to find these wires or are they somewhere I just can't find? I would imagine the shiny metal box right next to the exhaust outlet would be where the wires are hiding I just can't figure out how to get in there and see.

I ordered the model FV-15VQ5, and the installation instructions don't show any sort of Junction Box or anything of the sort so I'm kinda lost at this point.

Can ya help me out a bit with this basic step? If so; would you also mind sharing how you grounded out these units? I'm not too savvy with electrical work, so this would be a big help.

Thanks if you can help!

*edit* After sobering up and really looking at it I have found the junction box; eureka!

Sometimes it's better to work on growing stuff when your head isn't in the clouds!

RetroGrow

Veteran
My Panasonic solution:

picture.php

picture.php

I have this large Panasonic hooked up to a full size carbon filter.
This fan moves a lot of air, and scrubs my room effectively.
Can't smell anything.
This is model number:
FV-40NLF1
Works great!

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hey bluenath. I did a carbon scrubber like yours. Is there any to mount it upside down with the carbon at the bottom?

You could 'sandwich' a layer of carbon in between two sheets of mesh. Where there is a will, there is a way. So, sure you can do it, but it might not be so easy.

I'll be ordering a 340CFM or 440CFM Whisper here shortly. I'm going to run a Secret Jardin tent and the plant is to use no ducting :D I hope all is well with you Bulénath out there in no-mans land.

farmanimal

Thanks catman. i was thinking of doing that but Im scared of getting gaps where odor can pass by. i guess ill just try and see what happens. Im going to be mounting the fan on top of my cab and have the carbon tray inside.

sdrunk

Asked a question about the effectiveness of the inline models with an attached carbon filter. The general consensus seems to be that it rocks!

Reading solves everything.

Great info in this thread!

Last edited:

audioguy

I'm about to get a 80 cfm version, but I've noticed that catman seems to point out that the DC motor version (the WhisperGreen) is a better version than the WhisperCeiling regular version. Can anyone expand on this a little bit? Is there a difference?

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
The DC motor is a variable speed motor. When there is static pressure applied to it, it will speed up. It is quieter.

audioguy

Got my FV-08VK3 today.. plugged it in, it's as quiet as advertised. Can't wait to get it in my new cab! Thing moves a ton of air too, more than I was expecting.

edit: so 4 months later, I wouldn't buy this model again because it got loud when trying to use even 1/4in of carbon filter.. I would buy the model with the switchable cfms or static cfm, not the DC motor version I got that auto adjusts for pressure.

Doobie-us

Whisperline knockoffs???

Whisperline knockoffs???

Anyone try any of the "whisper style" fans,that are offered on ebay?There are fans that start at 50cfm up to 110cfm 6 sones.

just wondered if anyone had tried one of these fans and could advise based on personal experience.

e_24

wow, read a few pages of this thread, and im quite amazed that the grow industry hasnt started using this technology. then again, the grow industry isnt about growing what we got goin on here. im lookin at the 80cfm fan, and am wondering if it will be able to scrub a medium sized armoire with a 150 or 250w hps?

illT

I just got a FV-08VKS3. This model has a switch that can dial down the cfm. Settings possible are 30-70 CFM and the full 80cfm also. I have it set at 50 right now but I think I could go as low as 30 for my setup. Small closet with a digital 150 hps. This was a HUGE upgrade over my previous fan! It is so quiet I had to check to make sure the air was flowing. Thanks for this thread, appreciate!!!

Ichabod

I got a "whisperfit" on ebay for a good deal-but then I was checking out the panasonic website, and realized that the "whisper ceiling" is the quietest. Just pointing that out for yall who are looking to buy.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got my FV-08VK3 today.. plugged it in, it's as quiet as advertised. Can't wait to get it in my new cab! Thing moves a ton of air too, more than I was expecting.

edit: so 4 months later, I wouldn't buy this model again because it got loud when trying to use even 1/4in of carbon filter.. I would buy the model with the switchable cfms or static cfm, not the DC motor version I got that auto adjusts for pressure.

I know this is really late for a reply but for anyone looking at the thread while researching exhaust solutions.

I went through this as well with my FV-08VKS2. It was super quiet without a filter and I installed the filter like Bulenath did on his and it made mine sound like a damn jet airplane.

The solution was to use a can style filter on the output duct of the Panasonic to force the air through the filter instead of pulling through it. It is very quiet and has been working great this way for 4 grow cycles so far.

Heres a pic of what I mean. This was when I had a 4"x18" filter on there. Now I have a 6"x20" filter that I blow through with my Panasonic.

picture.php

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My Panasonic solution:

View Image

View Image

I have this large Panasonic hooked up to a full size carbon filter.
This fan moves a lot of air, and scrubs my room effectively.
Can't smell anything.
This is model number:
FV-40NLF1
Works great!

Loving mine too, so frickin quiet for so much air movement, its just big as f@#$. lol

quinoa64

These days, you can get pretty much the entire product line via amazon.

There are low profile and super low profile versions of the 50, 80 and 100 CFM whisper fans, which could appeal to micro growers, but be aware that as size decreases, noise increases. "You canna' change the laws of physics, Jim."

All specs below courtesy of the Panasonic website, which doesn't make it easy to find them. All sone levels are at 80 CFM and ideal static pressure. If you're pulling through carbon and/or pushing through a 90 degree angle the fan is going to be louder and move fewer CFMs.

The version originally used by Bulénath is Whisper Ceiling at 10.83 inches high, and <0.3 sone.

The low profile version is Whisper Fit, at 5 5/8 inches high, and 0.8 sone.

The super low profile is Whisper Value, at 3 3/4 inches high, and 1.5 sone. Plus it has an oval duct.

Hope that helps someone else make a decision!

Last edited:

kc2r

I know this is really late for a reply but for anyone looking at the thread while researching exhaust solutions.

I went through this as well with my FV-08VKS2. It was super quiet without a filter and I installed the filter like Bulenath did on his and it made mine sound like a damn jet airplane.

The solution was to use a can style filter on the output duct of the Panasonic to force the air through the filter instead of pulling through it. It is very quiet and has been working great this way for 4 grow cycles so far.

Heres a pic of what I mean. This was when I had a 4"x18" filter on there. Now I have a 6"x20" filter that I blow through with my Panasonic.

View Image

Hey man I bought a 120CFM fan (not a panasonic) but supposed to be very quiet. I'm going to follow your method with a 4" x 12" CAN Filter GT 1500. I hope it works :)
My grow area is:
35" length (900mm)
15" depth (400mm)
32" height. (830mm)
roughly 4 sqft! it needs 13CFM!!!