What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

Bueno, I've been using a 150cfm for a while now...same dead silence as the lower cfm models.

I used it successfully to aircool a 400w cmh (a little cooler then a hps) I made sure to make my duct runs as short and straight as possible to reduce any restriction on the fan/flow. I also used an oversized 6"x24" filter to reduce any air restriction as well. I think it would be about the same with a 400w hps.

I want to stress though that I think it successfully cooled it only because I took the extra measures not to restrict airflow. :tiphat:

prices have really jumped since I first bought some of these whisper fans a few years ago...I remember I got them from whamhomecenter , but prices are much higher now. anyone find supercheep prices on these anywhere? I want to get another 150cfm for my led cab.

the best deals seem to be on ebay but you have to keep an eye out

corky1968

Veteran
I've looked at those normal Hydroponic Inline Ducting Fans while watching a few videos
and from what I can tell they are all too loud for my taste. I'm so jumping into this ultra
quiet ventilation fan thing.

I'm gonna get this model.

Softaire Extremely Quiet Ventilation Fan: 80 CFM, 0.3 sones

Eventually I may get 2 to 4 of these things working in tandem. The last ventilation fan
I used was much louder at 1.5 sones and it was a 110 CFM model. Cheaper is not better
when you want quality. For me CFM isn't the main issue.

It's ultra-quiet that attracts me to these units.

I'm actually running this tiny unit linked below now along with a regular fan to cool my
cabinet. I didn't buy this to grow cannabis. I bought it so I can have a super quiet fan
beside me when I sleep when it's crazy hot. It's so quiet I forget that it's on at times.
The Carbon layer reduces common household odors and the HEPAFresh layer captures
up to 99% of airborne particles including allergens such as pollens and molds. It's hard
to believe such a small unit kills my Sativa odor for now anyways. Indicas would be
very problematic with this alone.

https://www.lowes.ca/air-purifiers/black-amp-decker-table-top-hepafreshtrade-air-cleaner_g1497473.html

For the Indica plants, that I plan on growing next a much improved carbon filtration
is a must. By then I should have 2 of the Softaire Extremely Quiet Ventilation Fans
working with the same DIY carbon scrubber tray as in the 2nd post of this thread.

I'm glad I found this thread. The last time I hooked up a DIY carbon scrubber to
the 4" output and I suspect this tray method is 100% more efficient.

Thanks for this thread Bulénath. :tiphat:

N

noyd666

always been the worry factor in inside growing for me has been the noisy bloody fans. not so bad now but shit what a fuk'n pain they can be.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
My Panasonic Whisper fan has been running for eight years, still quiet. I was lucky to read this thread when I was starting, before I bought a fan.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
got two that been running perfect for years as well, I love em just wish they made an even bigger one than the 400 cfm...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Double up on the 300 whisperlines!

Hard to find good equipment that is silent, whisperline is as quiet as ive seen, my box fan in the window is waaaay louder ha!

I had some of those new can pros, could here the shit at the front door fuck that!

Tynehead Tom

i'll check those out, thanx tony
I could get away with 3 single 150 cfm units , I'm exhausting 3 units 4x4x7 , with 4x4x5 of environment inside. 80cfm minimum per box but I want 150minimum. figure a 650 would do 3 boxes in series and possibly 5 boxes. maybe i'll just look at the 300's and run it 2 boxes per fan... ya , that might work LOL

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a 400 and 300 whatever and the 3 is even quieter, all I hear in that room is ballast buzz when im in there!
I am also a fan of greater than 1:1 air exhange, 2x a minute is very nice for ease of environmental control.

ResinLip

Hey gang. Long time lurker here and on other forums including the old overgrow.

Just thought I would chime in with my experience with the Panasonic whisperline inline fans now that I am downsizing again for the second time. I have had the 240cfm inline model running 24x7x365 for several years now. It replaced a Vortex 6” that was running full time as well. The Panasonic was pretty quiet but not perfectly quiet at first. Here is what I did to get it so quiet that you cannot even tell it is running unless you walk into the grow closet and hear the air whooshing through it.

I actually got the Vortex quieted down significantly using the same techniques.

First I started with the Panasonic 340 but felt it was more than I needed to cool the 600w hps inside a 2x4x8 tent inside of a 5x5x10 closet so I returned the 340 immediately and exchanged it for the 240 which has been running flawlessly ever since.

I am using a CFM match Phresh carbon scrubber in a push through design. The fan and the scrubber are up in the attic along with a Presh 6” inline muffler.

What really made everything quiet (for both the vortex and the Panasonic) was suspending the fan from the roof rafters using strong rubber bungie straps from the hardware store. Being in California earthquake country, I clamped down the hooks and mounted the components with enough length in the flex line to let them swing around in a quake without dropping down. Suspending the fan with rubber straps decoupled any sound vibration from the house’s frame work so the sound is not transmitted that way.

The second most effective thing (maybe the third after mounting the fan in the attic) in getting things quiet was to use insulated flexible ducting and to use a little bit of length to get more of a damping effect on the sound.

The Phresh muffler thingy works pretty well and I was too lazy to make something like it on my own. It just adds a little more to the above.

The change is that I am reworking the grow tent where i will replacing the 600hps with 400w (actual “wall” watts) of Cree COB LED lights (in case you are wondering – 8 lights total, one per square foot of canopy). With this change, I will be downsizing to 4” ducting and the Panasonic 120cfm inline fan.

If folks are interested, I can post a few before and after pics. I just need to get my lazy self up into the attic again.

algebraist

Hi All. I'm setting up a 2x4x7 grow tent -- 56 cubic feet -- lit with LED lamps. I'm thinking of building one of these beauties with a 50 CFM Panasonic bathroom exhaust fan. Two worries:

1) There seems to be some idea that these "work harder" when the resistance goes up, so that even pulling through a tray of activated carbon, it might still manage 50 CFM. And I think that's too much -- I'd rather see it do half that much or even less, so I don't lose heat and humidity too quickly.

2) If that is the case, can you run one of these through a speed controller to slow it down?

Thanks!

queequeg152

Veteran
they dont have a european motor for the whisperline?

the converter should work... but you are going to need more than your traditional wall wart converter for laptops... it would need to handle like 100ish watts for the bigger whisperline fans... one made for an xbox or something would work i bet.

the whisper fans are great btw... best bathroom fans ive ever used. i have a big ass 400cfm unit plumbed to 8" hard duct servicing 2 registers in my shower. works wonderfully, but in stormy weather the dampers still lift and make noise. =(

roof cap has a damper too lol, still happens.

Captain & El P

Panasonic Whisper fan in Europe with a 110V/230V power converter?
I do not think this will work. The motor will not turn at the same rate. Because it is running on a different frequency. I have lived in Europe and US and we can use a record/vinyl player as an example. Most of these have a duel frequency switch for different frequency off the wall. The records play twice as fast because you have a higher frequency. I have also been told that running a electric motor at the wrong frequency will wear out an electric motor a lot faster.

Much appreciative of this thread...thank you. Just got delivery confirmation of the 80cfm I'm going to use for my 18" x 34" box with 203 watts of LED...Can anyone who has used this fan chime in with how much intake vent area they used?

Iamnumber

I checkec the more detailed tech specs on their website but I did not see any db noise values for any products.. comparison point is s&p td silent line.

Theese are quite powerhungry .. from 50w to 150w.. about *3 times as much as s&p ( double check yourself.. chances are I missed something in volume transported ) 100w difference makes 2400w in a day and 75kwh in a month .. and 900kwh in a year.. here that would amount to 100usd extra per year.. IF operated 24/7

so.. I guess these would have to be around 15db to be considered.. s&p is ~21db (and can be lowered by dialing down volume and adding muffler)

devil is in details kids..