What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Tree Pouch

Cannabis

Veteran
I have, a bunch of pots. And those pots, don't have saucers but I can get saucers I guess;

but what

I LIKE TO DO

IS ADD FEWER PARTS RATHER THAN MORE PARTS.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THIS doesn't take AWAY from engineering (plans) ostensibly built into the mechanism so everything worked together efficiently as possible before.

IN THIS CASE I FEEL IT IS AS MUCH AN AID as NOT, to PUT a FLOWERPOT UPSIDE DOWN, OVER the DRAIN HOLE, of the MAIN, LARGER, OUTER OLLA

so the PLANT'S ROOTS GOING DOWNWARD CONTACT THE BOTTOM of the CENTER OLLA then FALL running OFF and DOWN the SLANTED SIDES
of the UPSIDE-DOWN,
center olla/pot.

Another concept that initially seems very legit would be put that center pot in standing upright with a saucer on top with he sides off the saucer, facing UP so the early plant roots would run around in this, first cup.

For some such as myself, this might make it possible you see to put rock flour inside that saucer and let the plant, eat the minerals from there, allowing the plant to be grown hydroponically, without hydroponic nutrients: because SOME of the roots would probably always be feeding from that area.

It's an interesting idea don't you guys agree?

I ask rhetorically, it's like mainly me talking in here.

Anyway I'm gonna check the potential for making a SuperMaine Olla out of JUST what's at the house here.

==============

THE POTS I HAVE ARE GROSSLY OUTSIZED for this, they're almost as big as the pot I have, itself: i need to use a much smaller one at the very least so no more updates tonight, unless I get my wife to try to get her phone to sync but

SERIOUSLY if YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW A "MAINE" OLLA WORKS go PARTIALLY IMMERSE, a CLAY POT in a BUCKET, with TAPE over the DRAINHOLE and GIVE IT a few hours. Throw something over the top of it OBVIOUSLY like a dinner plate or some plastic/aluminum foil etc so the water doesn't just evaporate out leaving you whatever's left to see.

Peace on ya everybody.

Cannabis

Veteran
IN ANY CASE GUYS one of the REAL HOPES I HAD FOR THIS GROWING in TREES was that it MIGHT, LEAD TO PEOPLE FIGURING OUT HOW

WE CAN WRAP AN OLLA in a CONTRACTORS BAG and EFFECTIVELY, let THAT, be the POTTING SYSTEM for the WHOLE THING.

SOMETHING LIKE THAT GENTLEMEN, JUST A PLANT WITH A STANDARD, TWO-POT HOMEMADE OLLA of two pots TOP to TOP and SEALED etc

and ENOUGH COCO/PERLITE toMAKE THAT THING PAY OFF a little BETTER, just a LITTLE comparatively,

MIGHT make it possible to grow something inside a SANDBAG tacked to a tree,

or this concept of an OLLA in a WATERPROOF CONTAINER might do well in DRY PLACES where the plant needs to lose hardly any moisture,

I don't know for sure where I'd be going on that but it does seem like you could keep maybe, SMALLER plants like AUTOS, going fairly well FULL SPEED...

I mean if an OLLA in the GROUND will feed most everything but full sized tomatoes, it seems like an AUTO could just GO to TOWN on the moisture from an OLLA.

I'm just thinking out loud.

In several years or actually off and on decades being associated with various growings and killings the Olla is the most efficient wick system I've ever seen.

Cannabis

Veteran
I think boobman has abandoned this thread I guess this one's about over. I'll put up the pictures of the Olla I built when the wife gets her phone sync'd and I'll leave you guys to experiment on your own.

Parting shot, some chick in Texas out in nowhere, peddling her stuff, she's gotta peddle her rutabegas just like everybody else but I do notice she says why she went to work selling the things:

" Of course, there was always daily watering with hose or watering can but I knew there would be days that I would not have the time or I would be out of town. Drip irrigation was another option but I was nervous about using a timer or forgetting to turn off the water and I also wanted to use the water I was collecting in a rain barrel.
I continued to search and came across buried clay pot irrigation or irrigating with an “olla.” By gluing together two clay pots I was able to make an olla but the size was not ideal and filling them was tedious. Nevertheless, during the extreme drought in the summer of 2011, I was amazed when I successfully grew tomatoes, kale, squash and zinnias with very little water. I also found that the ollas allowed me to successfully grow in containers on my patio in full sun without daily watering."

http://drippingspringsollas.com/the-story/

This is a pretty good tutorial about ollas. Pass all this stuff around everybody let's kick off a summer by spreading around some guerrilla growing tips.

http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1043&context=david_a_bainbridge

Hey STATE of MAINE we're up to EIGHT THINGS I'VE DONE in a WEEK including now the VALVE CONTROLLED SUPERMAINE OLLA.

Cannabis

Veteran
See WHAT CAME to MIND for ME about these OLLAS is that,

if YOU WERE TO BURY TWO OF THE SAUCERS TOGETHER FACE TO FACE, WITH A BARB IN BETWEEN THEM SO YOU COULD FEED THEM,

YOU COULD PUT DOWN, TWO PLANTS: ONE ON EACH SIDE, RIGGGHT NEXT TO THE THINGS

and NOT HAVE that FULL CIRCLE WATER MOVEMENT so the PLANTS could COVER the ONE SIDE and there wouldn't be quite the loss associated even with a GLOBE OLLA.

You could for that matter PAINT PART OF YOUR OWN HOMEMADE ONES SO THE WATER CAME OUT WHERE THE ROOTS ACTUALLY PICK IT UP.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i lived on a very large property in humboldt where this had been done ALOT!
My first grow on a rented rural ranch. there were decades of old abandoned grows. i would snag old irrigation ball valves even some pump sprayers. tons of shit abandoned. the tree grows were the lamest part. i found a whole grove of maples totally girdled by synthetic ropes and cables used to hold growbags to the trees. still there with dirt and irrigation lines in place. big gaping sores in the trees.
one good story from a neighbor was that one year camp spotted it from helicopters and came to get it. in the ground campaign they were hiking all over trying to climb trees to get it and were totally not trained in tree work. the day and the whole project got bagged and the grow left alone after one of the pigs fell out of a tree way out off the road and broke his arm. no arrests and a significant amount left to be harvested. they just said fuck it and moved on to the next location.

Cannabis

Veteran
I am scoping out the exciting OLLA action on Youtube and, it is as I realized, and THIS GUY THOUGHT TO MENTION cause he's a PhD,

that YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE, an AIRHOLE, TO VENT an OLLA when you FILL IT UP.

MY DRAWINGS ARE WRONG,
HOWEVER I PUT THOSE AIRHOLES IN THE ONE I INITIALLY DID,

so that the speed of getting an idea whether it will work, would be there for convenience.

I thought the things MIGHT, SLOooooowly fill without an air hole etc, but I wanted to speed up the process to check. But I didn't think they would fill, at ALL. It actually goes a WHOLE lot faster than I could have even GUESSED.

IT WAS NECESSARY IN THAT PARTICULAR INSTANCE BUT IT'S NOT NEEDED IN ACTUAL APPLICATION.

I had realized, messing with the one I put together, by LATE last night it wasn't necessary to have the air holes, but i forgot to say anything. I DID GO BACK today, and CHANGE my DRAWINGS. I have NOT gone back and changed any posts so, if you go back and read all this stuff, I was inventing the stuff as I was writing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-LyVw-1as

Cannabis

Veteran
ALSO WHEN YOU BUILD A "MAINE" OLLA WITH the POT on the OUTSIDE, YOU NEED to ACCOUNT FOR the FACT the BARB is GOING to CONTACT the OUTSIDE, of THE CLAY POT.

The TIME I spent MESSING WITH GETTING A BARB TO STICK IN THE PLASTIC pot OUTSIDE, and not IMPINGE ON, or PLACE any STRETCHING FORCES on ANYTHING - just seems like accidental pressure release through cracking the clay, or unsealing the barb, just waiting to happen.

My INITIAL answer to this seems to be either putting in an elbow barb which - while INSTANTLY intuitively it's where ya wanna go, as you think of applying that answer you realize if the elbow shaped barb body isn't inside next to the clay, you have the SAME situation as with a standard barb...

the answer that I personally, sorta mentally defaulted to was just poking a SNUG hole in the plastic, and urging a section of drip hose in, lying alongside, between clay and plastic outer water-jacket pot for any future ones I build. Because it answers several problems.

(1)TAKES AWAY SPECIALTY PARTS, elbows, - it still needs a barb on the other end to connect to the feed - you won't have to keep track of.

(2)when left LONG enogh PROVIDE an easy way MAKE the thing EASIER to OWN: if there's some LENGTH TO THE INPUT, SAY 18 inches - 2 feet, IT'S A LOT EASIER to just REACH and CONNECT/DISCONNECT WITHOUT HAVING TO put ANY forces on ANY sealed barb insertion point. THAT is building in, a certain amount of robustness and reliability - because you won't be messing with a seal during routine setup/breakdown, handling, yadaYAda.

(3)HAS a SOFTER PIECE of PLASTIC in DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE CLAY. Seems like it builds in a little forgiveness there.

(4)establishes a sense of ABSOLUTE RELIABILITY into the MECHANISM via which WATER actually ENTERS and you'll never wonder if maybe that point of contact is a potential problem somehow, pressing into the clay, somehow clogging, due to the constriction, over a piece of minor trash in the line... low initial pressures draining from the reservoir, and small tubes, mean not a lot of flow force - pressure, down at the other end. If there's a barb or something pressing against the clay like I initially had mine, it can completely stop flow as it did for me when I just new-guyed my barb by cutting a lot of the slant off that tip. I left a LITTLE space but it stopped flow COMPLETELY really. So.. tubing, with some glue around it I think might be a good consideration. It would definitely be a good answer for these two pots I have here due to the ease and general purpose advantages of tubing through that outside wall rathet than a barb. Of course once you put slide some tubing in, kinda going AROUND rather than straight in, so it's end, isn't blocked, you can THEN put a barb on the end of THAT, connecting there, etc, YadaYaddaYAda.

Cannabis

Veteran
Oh, SNAP!

When I built the first SuperMaine Olla so it would deliver more water I came up against a problem: the inner olla has thinner walls than the main, outer olla, and the water comes through it a whole lot faster than through, that thicker one on the outside.

I forgot to post guys sorry for just talking about it then letting it drop off the face of the earth.

I have to take it apart and see if there's another way I can put it together, so that the amount of water it gives up, is less.

The PRIMARY way this is done by regular gardeners is by PAINTING the OLLA so it CAN'T LEACH SO MUCH WATER but I haven't taken the thing apart yet to do more on it.

Cannabis

Veteran
I've also got pictures of the thing but like I said earlier above if YOU WANT AN ESTIMATE of HOW FAST ONE can DELIVER WATER, put tape over the hole of one, sink it a few inches, in a container of water so the water on the OUTSIDE starts weeping through the walls to the INSIDE

and see what you come up with.

Peace on yas!