What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Tree Pouch

solofoe

I've put allot of thought into growing in trees and in my opinion its too much work and the amount of trips to water would be too risky for me to take on however if someone finds a way to simplify the techniques then I would be all over this

Cannabis

Veteran
motorcycle/automobile/pickup/18 wheeler inner tubes, cut in half, and stuffed with coco or perlite/vermiculite, maybe even soil.

Use washers and screws to hold it to the trunk of the tree, wrapped around it with the soil/coco/perlite, on the NORTH side, of the tree, and let the POT plant, grow out of the top of the center of that inner tube, PEEKING AROUND the TRUNK of the tree, so the pouch is never in direct light or directly profiled.

Wrapping it around the contour of the trunk, allows you to completely get rid of any cylindrical shape, you simply have the thing hang around the trunk of the tree like it's wearing a fanny pack.

Cannabis

Veteran
In other words if you fill it with coco to the tune of three gallons or so, you have this half donut shape that will just fold around the tree.

Using deck screws and big washers you zip it into the tree and coat with suitable black or brown paint so there's never any reflection from it.

In the back, away from the sun so you don't bake the roots, there's going to be this settled out body of coco/dirt inside the inner tube, and it's going to have a top, a bottom, and the plant, should be growing out of a hole you cut, in the center, going left-right, and on top, regarding how the medium is sitting there in the inner tube.

Now you gotta be able to water so you have to figure that out somehow but I guess that's then next post.

Cannabis

Veteran
I think the main thing is how you get water up to the plant. A pump is a darn good idea, and running some 1/4 inch hose down a tree is kind of the more difficult way, so probably, the answer to getting the water into the plant, is to take sections of 3/4" pvc pipe: and have a couple of sticks painted black so you can hide them well, and tape some hose to the tip section.

Stick them together, figure out how to direct the water, and pump water into it.

It sounds like the kind of thing where you'd need to either be able to visit quite regularly, say once a week for an inner tube filled with perlite and vermiculite or coco, - I think that would be sorta on the outside, you'd really like to go over every three days I should think -

or you'd need to do what jay-toker said, and just build a box, up on a platform, so you could have enough soil that the plants would hang in there.

-----
Aside from pouches there is the option of putting a bucket in a tree by just taking it up there and sitting it on a horizontal limb. Using your local good-sized knife/hatchet/machete you hack a little notch into the limb near the tree where the rim of the bucket sits flat.

Having drilled a fair sized, say a 1/2 inch hole near the top rim of the bucket, just drive in a couple of nails and bend them each over so the bucket is trapped against the trunk.

To get rid of any cylinder shape, you can heat the bucket and stand on the rim, and flatten the top of the bucket nearly together.

I'm emphasizing, you need to kind of eyeball the whole thing, and you need to make sure that you don't have the pot in the sun, it'll make the evaporation worse, and it'll make people see it a lot easier. Plus, there's the fact you need to pick your spot so you can water easy. If that means hiding a couple of pvc extensions or whatever there might be that.

I guess some people would do things like tack rope up past the plant, to the trunk, and secure the rope in the bucket or pouch so rain water leaked down into there.

That seems like it wouldn't be worth it but maybe facing places where there's lots of afternoon thunderstorms, a rope, would make it possible to water an inner-tube pouch.

The rope wouldn't have to be too big, really, just some twine I guess according to your local weather's likelihood of giving you some rain.

Again just thinking out loud, it seems like the coolest novelty grow niche, ever, huh.

Oh shoot I just realized - you could take inner tubes and saddle-bag them over horizontal limbs, right up against the trunk of the tree, and grow a plant in each side. All you'd have to do, is nail the inner tube slung over the branches and grow a plant out of a slot you cut just at the top of the medium, in each side.

Cannabis

Veteran
So I guess boobman,

the answer to your question,

is motorcycle or automobile inner tubes.

Saddle bag them where you can, run singles where you must.

And come to think of it you don't really need to even cut it in half, you can just tack the thing to the tree and fill the lower section, with dirt or whatever. It just seemed like a way to get two grow bag pouches out of one inner tube.

Shoot people throw those things away all the time at tire shops lol.

Ya think that's the kinda thing you're lookin' toward installing?

Cannabis

Veteran
"Cannabis In The Canopies: Show Us Your Tree Grow!" threads everywhere LoL

"Cannabis In The Canopies: Show Us Your Tree Grow!" threads everywhere LoL

But you have to be able to water it all, though.

That is a problem I haven't got to solve myself any more, because I finally moved to a state,

where I'm not assaulted AS a criminal,

BY
the LOCAL

criminals, - the government employees and their lackey, pedo-mustache, snitch-culture shit-heads they call fellow citizens while they demean me because I'm not a drunk like them.

But it does seem like

you could get a lot of exciting Cannabis-In-The-Canopies action,

if you could saddle bag even two inner tubes on the south side of some tree somewhere,

and go out there and water it often enough that you could make four plants give off two or three ounces each, that's a half to three-quarters of a pound of pot for someone probably, paying major bucks for individual ounces.

Wow can ya just see it now, "Cannabis In The Canopies: Show Us Your Tree Grow!" threads everywhere,

once people figured out how to just saddle bag inner tubes over horizontal limbs of trees, in remote or privately owned areas,

and learned how to do it vertically, tacking inner tubes to the tree trunk with the two separate flopped over sections, being one above the other on the vertical trunk of the tree - kind of like two fanny packs stacked -

you could put a lot of dope in the canopies of the world.

Over Growing The World.

Literally.

:dance013:

I know that water is hard to pump upward, and it's kind of heavy, although I can surmise, that once using inner tubes to put pot into tree canopies caught on, some people would figure out how to use one inner tube as a water reserve, and another one, as the grow container, wicking the water from one, to the other somehow.

I guess, what you could do, is in the case of say having to put it all vertically, is put one pouch filled with coco or soil on the trunk of the tree: and then right below that, have another inner tube tacked to the trunk serving as a liquid reservoir, with some kind of a tube and wick between them.

Jeeze it seems like, a person or persons, messing with them enough, could figure out how to make one inner tube function as both the grow container itself, and yet wick fluid from the folded part, where the entire rest of the inner tube could function as a liquid reserve. I dunno, I'm thinking of somehow, cutting a hole where you could stuff in some dirt or whatever, and then having a rope, go from that section, around inside, to the other section flopped over, and filled with water.

Visions of them becoming very efficient wicking passive grow containers, are in my head, boys, and I'm not, kidding. I know what I'm saying's all talk, but... everything you need is right there: it's tough, it's weather resistant, it'll hold water, it's inert, it can be punctured and have tubes run into and out of it....

Jeeze. I've seen people in outdoor grows, using air mattresses that they dig a hole out for, and then they fill that air mattress with water, for the grow.

Well... an inner tube is a ... water retaining bladder and... I dunno what it is I'm envisioning exactly, but I'm thinking about people throwing some kind of inner tube design onto a tree, with a five or ten gallon reserve of water, WICKING into a small but adequate soil or coco, or whatever, area, and kept separate by the act of flopping it so it hangs in such way that it functions as an integrated grow area, and liquid reserve area, connected with a wick.

I'm being repetitive I apologize, I'm trying to help you brainstorm up your canopy grow pouches, boobman.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Holy Toledo ZZTops, that is one huge planter to get airborne, and I don't need no cheap sunglasses to know that is true ha ha.

On a serious note, that grow must be located on well fenced private property, or someplace so far out in the sticks that only 4-legged critters frequent the area, since no human would ever look up and mistake that monstrous rig for a spotted barn owl.
I'd have to say that most people don't look up.

Case in point; Itemize (without looking), the five worst spots in the ceiling, in your own house.

ZZ; All I've got to say is.. That's one strong tree!

igrowone

Veteran
definitely a sub worthy thread, a topic i've pondered over the years
1 case if for the guerrilla type grow, another for a backyard type grow
doing it on your property would be rather risky, stealth has to be excellent
in any event, in the northeast it's pretty much the eastern pine tree that qualifies for best stealth
a cannabis similar green color right to harvest

Cannabis

Veteran
Another thread here on ICMag I haven't read it all, it's something for us to look over

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21493

Wow this guy is named aaahz posting from Czechoslovakia on the last page, of Back Country's thread.

CHECK OUT his YOUTUBE short vids he took on his phone, up a LONG way.

Go over to the thread and give the guy a big thumbs up.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=04A153F1317EC311

I wonder where Back Country got that battery drill water pump and how much it cost, all that. I didn't really realize, you could throw water that high with a battery drill.

Last edited:

30years

years ago i went to a scene in honeydew that had a few hundred plants wired up in trees. they used chicken wire to form the basket and lined it with plastic. the water tanks were up on a hill above the level of the plants in the trees. drip lines wrapped around the trees like vines and gave you gravity flow to the plant. i had a hard time seeing the plants until my friend showed me where to look. too much work today in our current situation but man, that was a beautiful grow.

30years

a guy from south america was hired to instal all the plants. he specialized in this type of thing. climbed a tree like a monkey on crack. the breeder bred the lines to have a more open body that opened up inside the tree and gave great flowers. circa 2000...

abuldur

We use dead chestnut trees in the forest ,the provide a clearing,nutrients and a natural pot.
Dont know if its the same kind in your part of the world but over here these dead tree trunks will provide a good 300 liters platers that will last a few years.

peace

Cannabis

Veteran
I have been thinking about it and this is what I have come up with.

You use this

to feed blumats

out of an inner tube

to a plant, that is in,

an inner tube pouch. Okay?

I put up a pretty bad drawing but I was drawing and re drawing as I was figuring it out

after work last night.

Peace

Cannabis

Veteran
I looked up online 'bike powered water pump so we can use real pumps not small ones.

Sure enough welders cut shallow-well pump covers off to expose the spinning parts inside and hacked out the electri-guts. They roughened the chrome shaft some with a file or grinder and wrapped the

thing with tape, or something.

Please, everyone, who's interesed in watering an out door crop, Go look. Please.

Look at the pump. Look at the size of it. It's quite small.

But look at the MOUNT for it. It's big and it weighs a lot and it is ZERO STEALTH.

I am going to tell you a better way to do it, for us, I think. I hope I am. it seemed pretty sensible when I actually had my 29 inch mountain bike from Wal-Mart down, thinking about how to do it all.

=====================

Whoever does this remember, MAINE IS COVERED WITH TREES, AND THEY HAVE GYPSY IN JAIL.

I Hereby dub these things the

MAINE KICK-STANDs or MAINE JACK-STANDS

to celebrate every pot head in MAINE growing some pot using these MAINE JACK STANDS to water their gardens, wherever they may be.

Here is the film.

Look at what they built.

The young man there says they tested it and that at 26 meters / 85 feet,

it was pumping by them, 5 liters per minute, or one gallon and a quart, per minute.

http://youtu.be/N-UvhiNb1as

Cannabis

Veteran
What I'm going to talk about is how to build a better stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Pair-Screw-Type-Axle-Bicycle/dp/B007SV8LDM

This was written up initially as I thought of it, and then I re - edited it a lot.

Originally I had a design for maybe somehow hanging the bike's back end from an overhead limb, using the triangle behind the seat.

The idea was that this spot is always there on nearly all bikes, and if you take a cable lock and put the loop of it down through it,

you can just stick in any old thing as a cross or T handle blocking it coming out of the triangle and with relatively good precision

and with no stretch at all, you could use two of them or a long security chaing to throw over a limb, lifting the rear end of a bike.

Zero extra parts and weight if you normally carry two cables, some in cities do, I carry one. Just cut a stick and stick it in,

lift the bike, stabilize the bike with a stake in the ground... okay... but what about pulling the pump into the tire, right.
You need still,
to be able to pull the pump,

against the tire

and I thought,

a BIPOD: that would work to pull the pump up against the tire, if it was stuck to the flanges of the bike, and two nuts facing down,

that's pretty doggone low stealth, alright,

and,

sticking down at the ground like that, it would stop the bike from swaying. Lower it back to the ground so it was ... touching or dug in some, maybe?

Then a good thirty minutes later, thinking about it I realized I was adding parts - I didn't need the swing, any more, I could just build the bipod.

From nothing more, than two extra thick sticks of all-thread. It would be kind of fragile, but you'd learn to pin the front end to a tree so it helped stabilize it a lot.

It's a guerrilla rig, so I just kept going along, going along, using paint to diagram, and re-diagram...

Then, I thought about how, if I built the bipod by putting the angle-ground NUTS on the frame flange, pointed down,

that's a lot of work, just to screw two little all-thread sticks into them. Welding required, no adjustability to speak of unless - unless I put the nuts out to the side,

but that means once again, stealth with those welded on nuts there like little ears, is GONE. So... it just seemed like... too much work for too little war.

I thought... "what goes on there, on back pedals? People pegs? Pannier struts? Yeah, rider foot pegs. That's the real deal.

People screw those right onto axles, don't they?" Yeah they will hold a person up, even doing some minor stunts and stuff,

so they'll hold the bike stable,"

and it became at that point, a matter of how to drill out those rear axle screw-on style, back pegs, so that all-thread could be somehow pushed through and clamped to them

using nuts, on the all-thread.

that you could just BANG - get off the machine, LITTLE sign it was there, it was really light weight, it was really simple, very few tools, it was really easy to store,

and easy to move, and manage owning.

Plus even when it's apart in your hand, it's just a peg, a stick of what looks like diy kick stand, and some nuts, and a couple of washers. Assuming it's ever seen away from the grow somehow,

it's just as un-alarming as I think I could design it.

I really tried to get all these features in. I hope I did well and that some of you guys will see what it takes and maybe put one together, and we'll see if we can't get the guerrilla pot growers

of the whole world,

a RELIABLE, HIGH STEALTH, HIGH PERFORMANCE, LOW WEIGHT, LOW COMPLEXITY, LOW COST, LOW SIGNATURE (AS "UNUSUAL LOOKING,") bicycle powered, water pump.

Cannabis

Veteran
Here is the idea:

Get a pair of cheap rear pegs that will screw onto your back axle.

Drill across it with a drill bit big enough to take some 5/8ths inch all thread.

Screw the rear foot pegs on hand tight before you drill or weld. Drill the hole in up/down (vertical so your all-thread goes up and down) configuration.
Make the all-thread long enough

that

(if you go online and see the articles about the "Bicycle Powered Water Pumps" you'll see what I mean)

you can LIFT the BACK WHEEL of the BIKE off the GROUND far enough

to SLIDE ONE of the HACKED PUMPS UNDER IT,

along with a 2X4 or 2X6 back plate - or whatever - something light that you can move and stash and carry easy

you lay under the pump and strap the pump to, so that you can in turn, fasten to it, and thereby all be held together.

There should be enough sticking out of the board on the bottom after the all-thread goes through it,

that you can thread on nuts and snug that pump, against YOUR bicycle wheel,

without the fifteen pounds of metal, and all that ANTI STEALTH stuff that weighs a fair amount.

* * *IMPORTANT* * *

YOU MUST KEEP YOUR,
AND THE BIKE'S WEIGHT,
OFF THE AXLE OF THE 120 volt PUMPS THEY SHOW YOU HOW TO HACK by taking the ELECTRICAL parts out of and use your TIRE to SPIN.

WHEN YOU FIRST SLIDE YOUR ALL THREAD THROUGH THE 2X4 OR WHATEVER YOU NEED FOR A BACK PLATE,

USE A PAIR OF LARGE WASHERS ON THE TOP, BACKED BY A NUT SPUN DOWN, AFTER THE PUMP IS SNUGGED TO THE WHEEL, TO KEEP YOU, AND THE BICYCLE,

FROM pressing YOUR WEIGHT DOWN, ON THAT AXLE.

YOU MUST KEEP YOUR WEIGHT OFF THE AXLE BY INCLUDING THE STAND-OFF NUTS ON THE ALL-THREAD, (WITH A COUPLE OF BIG WIDE WASHERS) OR YOU WILL BREAK IT.

USE WASHERS WIDE ENOUGH that it won't tend to sink in with usage, due to your weight.
* * * *Okay warning over.* * * *

You need to use really thick all thread. I'm a light guy, and I would trust my weight to two pieces of five eighths inch, all-thread vertically, but I would be much happier using something like

11/16ths or 3/4ths inch all-thread. You're probably going to find, you have to bend out your all thread some - maybe not though - by just bendng it where it meets the peg so it sticks out like an

inverted V

like this: /\

It's going to need to go past the body of the pump, and that is something you are going to have to eyeball.

If you drill out a pair of pegs then say,

weld a nut across the bottom of the two holes, so the all thread can be held to the bike just by threading into the nut, try to think ahead of times about things, like the angles of the holes, and

fixing the nut on at a proper angle, so if possible, you can simply thread your all-thread bipod sticks into that nut, and adjust each side for height by having the holes go through and through.

I don't know exactly "how long" is "long enough" over at your house. I would have figured about an inch, maybe two inches sticking out behind, or below, the back plate, for that pump. I know that,

the more you have an inch and a half or so to dig into the ground, the more stable it's probably going to be, once you start rockng back and forth a little bit. I would try to go for just a piece

of 2X4 or maybe a piece of 2X6.

If you should build one of these Jack Stands, please, tell people anything I've said that needs to be made right.

I haven't built one, I started thinking about growing in trees the other day, googled, found this very thread, and decided to try to help out. I came up, with this idea. If it doesn't work for you

to use the most commonly found all thread, you might have to get some pretty big stuff; but I'm pretty sure you can all understand what it is I'm trying to convey here, I know it's not much, but I

do have a job, and I just think one of these will work, and can't for the life of me see why one won't.

Go read about how much water these pumps will throw, how high. They were talking I think, about a guy shoving water, up a hill, about 150 feet per shot, from river, to reservoir one, then up to

reservoir one, to pump to reservoir 2, up by the house. They were saying the differences were pretty big between that kind of action, humping it up hill on foot, and pedal powering it.

I DREW THIS UP, AS I WAS SITTING DOWN TALKING TO MY WIFE, FIRST COMING UP WITH THE WELDED NUTS, BUT THEN I REMEMBERED FOOT PEGS. So there's an evolution to what I was thinking that complicates the

drawing I put together.

But like I say guys, we're building doggone jack stands for a bicycle that will feed down through the slots we drilled in a 2X6 so it can sit on a hacked pump's axle. ONLINE, there were SEVERAL

PEOPLE who DID IT,
ONE guy was from GUATAMALA,
and one of them was a CHICK
who LEARNED HOW from READING HIS INSTRUCTABLE.

Or something like that, you'll see how it all shakes out. It's pretty simple fellas I think.

But see

His/her/their versions are heavy duty civilian models,
but WE need a good STEALTH BICYCLE WATER PUMP

and I THINK WE NEED TO DESIGN JACK STANDS, AND PUT THEM ON WATER PUMPS LIKE THE PEOPLE ONLINE,

the guy or guys in GUATEMALA,
the guys in AFRICA, chicks too,
and the chick in the UNITED STATES.

cravin morehead

Veteran
just be sure the tree you use will still have plenty of greenery on it around harvest time. or your plants could be showing like a sore thumb.

cm

Cannabis

Veteran
THIS IS YOUR SAFETY MEETING. Sign the form you attended as it's passed around.

THIS IS YOUR SAFETY MEETING. Sign the form you attended as it's passed around.

Don't fall out of a tree. You've been told. Sign here.

Cannabis

Veteran
This VERY bad paint diagram was edited, and re-edited, till it's a mess but I was changing things as I was going along, and this is evidence I was doing something, if not a lot LoL.

http://goo.gl/XoVsSC

Latest posts

Latest posts