What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

V

vonforne

Well on a plus side to the clay coated pellets......they could provide minimal amounts of minerals to the soil. I do not think it would be enough for it to become mush though. @ 2 TBS per gallon and 1\3 of that is the clay. So, it is not that much to speak of.

V

mad librettist

Veteran
Well on a plus side to the clay coated pellets......they could provide minimal amounts of minerals to the soil. I do not think it would be enough for it to become mush though. @ 2 TBS per gallon and 1\3 of that is the clay. So, it is not that much to speak of.

V

It might add up if you are "recycling" your soil. But you are right that a bit of clay is good!

I am adding clay back into my mixes, and I have to keep in mind that it is cumulative and does not break down.

this video talks about some of the benefits of clay in your mix

mad librettist

Veteran
clouds! That's how I can describe what happens to powdered amendments unless you actually tumble the mix. If you mix with your hands like I do, it takes a long time to disperse powders, and even then, I rely on my worms to even things out.

Sometimes, after I have mixed for what seems for ever, if i dig down I still find "clouds" of powder.

edit: here is another american brand. note it is "quick release"

Soil Doctor 40 lb. Pelletized Lawn Lime is made of pulverized limestone and a natural tree syrup that are processed together into pellets. The pellets can be quickly and easily applied to your lawn with a rotary or broadcast spreader. Lime corrects acid soil and helps balance soil pH to improve fertilizer efficiency. This 40 lb. bag will cover up to 1,000 sq. ft. of lawn.

Add to lawn soil to improve fertilizer efficiency
Limestone corrects acid soil to improve growing conditions
Virtually dust-free pellets can be quickly applied with a rotary or broadcast spreader
Non-burning soil amendment can be applied at any time
Water soluble pellets are fast acting
Organic ingredients condition the soil naturally
MFG Brand Name : Oldcastle
MFG Model # : 54050860
MFG Part # : 54050860

Last edited:

thizzness

Hey guys

I'm going to be using LC#1 mix with guano for dry ferts. Heres the mix:
5 parts peat
3 parts perlite
2 parts compost
2 Tbsp dolomite lime (powdered) per gal
1 Tbsp kelp meal per gallon
1/3 cup peruvian seabird guano per gal
1/2 cup jamaican bat guano per gal

I'm hoping for a nice harvest with nothing but straight water all summer. But I've got a few concerns. The seabird guano comes pelletized, but I figured that since its plenty concentrated with nutes (12-11-2), I mixed it in without breaking up the pellets first and it'll be a nice extended release fert, will I run into any problems doing this? I'm growing autos so the grow period is only a couple months...
also, I'm planning on starting seeds in this mix outdoors? Will it be too hot for seedlings?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
id start the seeds in a mix of compost and perlite. then transplant into that mix. while they sprout and grow some that soil will have time to mellow out.

thizzness

i forgot to mention, i'm going to be guerilla growing and with autoflowers, so i'd really really prefer to just plant a bunch of seeds straight into soil outdoors. it'll be way easier, much less of a risk, and i've heard that autoflowers don't like being translplanted due to the short growing cycle.

the buckets i'm planting in are deep (5 gal), so could I just leave the top 1/3 with perlite/compost and the bottom 2/3 with the full strength mix?

M

mugenbao

how much homemade compost should i use in a soil mix per gallon?

From the very first post in this thread, and repeated 420 times since then :
Here are some tried and true recipes for getting started in organic growing.

5 parts Canadian Sphagnum Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts worm castings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered (NOT PELLETED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Works out to about 20% :wave:

Spok

are there any problems with mixing certain fertilizers such as bone, blood, and cottonseed meal? ive noticed some nutrient recipes seem somewhat grouped, like guanos(i.e high p and high n guanos) so im wondering if particular fertilizers work together better than others?

-thanks

JustAnotherDJ

What would happen if I transfer my rooted clones to LC's mix

What would happen if I transfer my rooted clones to LC's mix

I'm newbie on the forums, I've been trying to catch up with this thread but it's a lengthy read, packed with valuable informaion and insight hanks again burn, suby, and V and everyone else!! for all your help!! Much appreciate!!!

Here's my question, I mixed up a batch of LC's mix with bloo/bone/kelp meal and it's only been about 5 days since i mixed the batch and haven't hadthe two week cook time.. I would like to hold out but the clones I have in 16oz cup are already pretty well rooted and didn't want them to curl up..

What should I do ??

...i mixed the batch and haven't hadthe two week cook time.. I would like to hold out but the clones I have in 16oz cup are already pretty well rooted and didn't want them to curl up..

What should I do ??

Transplant those clones in the new batch o' mix without worries. It'll take a short while for everything to kick in 100%, but it's still way better than getting your girls rootbound. Add some AACT to get the party started down there even faster. All will be well.

how much epsom salt do i ad to each cubic foot of lcs mix with ferts #1 blood,bone,kelp?

the recommended ratio on the box?

thx 4 ur time

this recipe does wonders for vegetables as well as pot right?
i would like to have a killer vege garden and plan on using this mix 4
tomatos,cukes,beans,broccolli,ect.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
are there any problems with mixing certain fertilizers such as bone, blood, and cottonseed meal? ive noticed some nutrient recipes seem somewhat grouped, like guanos(i.e high p and high n guanos) so im wondering if particular fertilizers work together better than others?

-thanks

the secret is diversity. some amendments break down faster than others, so having a variety of N sources for example provides a more complete soil than using just one.

Latest posts

Latest posts