What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

V

vonforne

so i should forget lcs mix? and just use native soil and compost for a base and kelp and alfalfa meal is enuff added ferts? or do i gotta add guano teas in the summer (wont rly be a prob). can i add peat moss to aerate i heard perlite is ez to see from the sky which is fatal for me.

if so that would be sooo ez and a miracle for me. what kind of compost would be best cattle, cow, shrimp or sheep?

thx alot and ty kava

What kind of native soil do you have?

Garden compost.

You can use all the guano teas you want.

Use clay gravel or gravel or broken clay pots or sticks or local rocks.....anything to aerate the soil with tat is in the local area as not to have to pack it in. Use what is there.

read this man. If you want more let me know.

http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/weeds/WeedsToC.html

The man you need to contact about outdoor growing is Jaykush he is the all time master of outdoor Natural growing with the use of native plants.

Good luck.

V

V

vonforne

I'd like to thank Batboy, rasputin, xebeche, and, of course, vonforne for the advice.

It may sound corny, but you guys have made a positive impact on my little corner of the world. Cheers!

So, I take it all is good with the plants? How about some finishing bud shots? Maybe just one......how about it?

V

W

williebetmore

Wow great info in this one! will read from start to finish tonight!
Thanks in advance to anyone that took the time to write this/contribute.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
Such a thing as soil "cooking" too long ?

Should any ammendments be re-added after a general rule-of-thumb amount of time ?

TIA

SSM :joint:

i cant get liquid karma should i use molasses to get things started (wet my dry mix) <- found LK lmao so happy

also is it best to aerate the guano tea? im gunna use kelp meal instead of powdered kelp extract bcuz thats what i have, will kelp meal and ground alfalfa break down in a tea?. im using ground alfalfa to replace high n bat guano. im assuming ill be fine using no liquid karma in my teas, doubt theres anything i could find to replace it

would it be okay to use the following recipe or would compost just overdo it and be to much organic stuff going on with feeding recipe #1 and #3

5part peat
3part perlite
1.5part ewc
.5 part shrimp compost

and is it okay to use shrimp compost as my mulch to protect my soil? mixed with bunny poo?
should i incorporate my bunny poo into the lcs mix, the tea, or the mulch? i dont have alot
do you have any tips for mulching?

would using compost in both situations be to much? is there to much?

ive heard some wise things from jaykush

thx alot Vonforne

i also wanted to incorporate sum ground alfalfa into feeding recipe #1 should i replace sum kelp if i add alfalfa or can i ad it ontop

xebeche

Santa,

I would not use bunny poop (if that is the real excrement of rabbits) straight. I think it should be cooked in a compost first if used at all. The shrimp (crustacean meal) is normally ok. I make a kelp and alfalfa tea. It is good to aerate it just to bubble out the nutes, but it does not really breed any microbes. I save the leftover mix and dump it on my raised beds, or mix it in with soil (only about 20% of the nutes go into the water).

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well bunny poop can be added to soil (top dress/mulch) hot

but, i would also let it age a bit if there's active plants in indoor soil mix

outdoors it's game on

its shrimp compost im gunna use and im gunna let the bunny poop sit in a bucket for a few weeks (should i let it sit in with the shrimp compost?aka my mulch). do i have to water this? or can i just let it age

what i need to know is if kelp meal and crushed alfalfa are water soluble in the tea or if i have to go and buy liquid seaweed

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would let the poo age broken up on a bed of sawdust or straw (no reason not to mix w/ your shrimp compost)

those should both be water-soluble but you could top-dress if concerned about the solids that remain

I make a kelp and alfalfa tea. It is good to aerate it just to bubble out the nutes, but it does not really breed any microbes. I save the leftover mix and dump it on my raised beds, or mix it in with soil (only about 20% of the nutes go into the water).

and there's other ways too w/ a fairly wide margin of error

thx mobot, ive gotten so much good info

my last question (after i figure this out im good to go!) will kelp meal be ok in the guano/kelp teas? i cannot get maxicrop, should i get a liquid kelp? or just use the kelp meal i have

xebeche

i would let the poo age broken up on a bed of sawdust or straw (no reason not to mix w/ your shrimp compost)

those should both be water-soluble but you could top-dress if concerned about the solids that remain

and there's other ways too w/ a fairly wide margin of error

I'm a bit confused, the alfalfa kelp meal should be water soluble? The stuff I get is granular and I bubble it in a paint straining bag so it does not clog my sprayer. The crustacean meal I use is granular and I add it when mixing soil. Bunny poop is totally new for me (I don't use any mammal products).

Help me understand. I was taught a single method that works well and now we are tweaking that slowly, so I would really like input on how to make things either work better, more efficiently, or with greater ease.

Thanks for the info, and not picking on my lack of breadth in experiences.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm a bit confused, the alfalfa kelp meal should be water soluble? The stuff I get is granular and I bubble it in a paint straining bag so it does not clog my sprayer. The crustacean meal I use is granular and I add it when mixing soil. Bunny poop is totally new for me (I don't use any mammal products).

Help me understand. I was taught a single method that works well and now we are tweaking that slowly, so I would really like input on how to make things either work better, more efficiently, or with greater ease.

Thanks for the info, and not picking on my lack of breadth in experiences.

we're both using the same method more or less

i make EWC and/or compost teas and add my ammendments as they bubble though

i m not using alfalfa except as green manure (cover cropping) and in my compost

what makes me wonder about the kelp meal is that left over stuff when you use it in a tea. 20% seems reasonable for what you might get from them - but it makes sense to topdress it too.

and, there's a method here somewhere for mixing solutions w/ alfalfa or other plants where you let them sit for a little bit and they ferment. (the fermentations over when there's no bubbles or something) similarly, you can use flower parts to ferment concoctions for flower stage!

im thinking of making a wicked mulch with alfalfa and kelp meals added in the mulch. then my teas will be pouring threw and the micro beasties will have a super buffet once a week (once a week tea maybe less)

ive decided to not grow in the ground and use a50 gallon rubbermaid outside(maybe burried halfway for stealth) how many plants can i put in 1 50 g rubbermaid? i was thinking 2 on 45 degree angles over each end like this $-[==]-$. or do you think soil will be wasted? my season is short here in kanada so i dont think i can get tree sized plants. should i put more? like 4? 5?

i have a mixed bag of seeds afghan.nl.skunk.dp at random.

no clones.. i like seed vigor

V

vonforne

Such a thing as soil "cooking" too long ?

Should any ammendments be re-added after a general rule-of-thumb amount of time ?

TIA

SSM :joint:

No, the longer the better. Just keep it most so the micro organisms will not go dormant and keep working their little magic.

V

vonforne

i cant get liquid karma should i use molasses to get things started (wet my dry mix) <- found LK lmao so happy

also is it best to aerate the guano tea? im gunna use kelp meal instead of powdered kelp extract bcuz thats what i have, will kelp meal and ground alfalfa break down in a tea?. im using ground alfalfa to replace high n bat guano. im assuming ill be fine using no liquid karma in my teas, doubt theres anything i could find to replace it

would it be okay to use the following recipe or would compost just overdo it and be to much organic stuff going on with feeding recipe #1 and #3

5part peat
3part perlite
1.5part ewc
.5 part shrimp compost

and is it okay to use shrimp compost as my mulch to protect my soil? mixed with bunny poo?
should i incorporate my bunny poo into the lcs mix, the tea, or the mulch? i dont have alot
do you have any tips for mulching?

ive heard some wise things from jaykush

thx alot Vonforne

i also wanted to incorporate sum ground alfalfa into feeding recipe #1 should i replace sum kelp if i add alfalfa or can i ad it ontop

should i use molasses

yes 1 TSP per gallon of water.

also is it best to aerate the guano tea?

even though it will not contain the organisms in EWC it will still contain some beneficial s along with solid particles to add to the soil surface via watering.

5part peat
3part perlite
1.5part ewc
.5 part shrimp compost

do not forget the dolomite lime @ 2 TBS per gallon of soil.

mixed with bunny poo?

as wt any manure......compost it properly first.

composted manure you have to be careful with but normal plant compost.....no. You can never have too much compost. Just not enough aeration in the soil.

stick to the recipe. Top dress or folair feed the alfalfa.

V

cant thank you enough for all the advice Vonforne and countless others.

i know i should stick to the recipe and i plan to. but i have a pound of GH rare earth. could i ad this into a tea? or a tbs per gallon in my mix or sumthing mebe? or i dont need it.and i dont need myco aye?

V

vonforne

cant thank you enough for all the advice Vonforne and countless others.

i know i should stick to the recipe and i plan to. but i have a pound of GH rare earth. could i ad this into a tea? or a tbs per gallon in my mix or sumthing mebe? or i dont need it.and i dont need myco aye?

you can use it. no problems.