What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Xebeche, I don't think it's a question of if it's possible to over-water in smart pots per se. It's a question of - can you overwater your medium that you've used in smart pots? If your mix provides good aeration and doesn't choke the roots out then you should be good to go in plastic pots, smart pots, or any other containers, IMHO.

FWIW, I use smart pots for moms. They get a good drenching every 2-3 days and then are allowed to dry. The only differences noticed w/smart pots versus traditional plastic pots is they dry out much quicker and need to be handled much more carefully.

Thanks for the post, rasputin. I will go out an purchase some guano tomorrow.

I found this recipe on page 1. Does it look like a good choice? Or is it too much, since my mix is pre-fertilized? My normal tea consists of only worm castings, Liquid Karma and molasses, both at 1 TBS/ gallon.

What Von said. Too much @ this stage considering you're container mix is pre-fertilized. Some additional N in soil drench form would be good but the recipe you listed is for people who generally use a medium light on food that's intended to be hand fed often to provide/control/manipulate (based on your perspective, I guess) the plants food availability. I go this route, used LC Mix 2 & the guano/kelp tea recipes. Some of the ingredient listings are way too high, like molasses at 15 mL per gallon or Peruvian seabird guano at 30 mL in flowering. But you learn a little and adjust to your needs, they're good starting points.

Jstone

Watch you plants. If the bottom leaves are starting to yellow a bit give them a EWC slurry and transplant. Or transplant and just give them fresh water. I would go with the first choice though.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but couldn't find an answer anywhere. What exactly is a "Slurry"?
Thanks!

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but couldn't find an answer anywhere. What exactly is a "Slurry"?
Thanks!

It's not a dumb question but it's surprising you couldn't find an answer. It means to make a mixture, ie; water & EWC or an EWC slurry. :joint:

Hey sry for the essay its rly only 2-3 questions =]

im trying out base recipe #1 for an outdoor grow using feed recipe #1 bone/blood/kelp on a few girls . Aswell as trying out feed recipe #3 guano/kelp teas on a few girls but im having a few problems would rly appreciate your input

im gunna try feeding recipe #1 bone/blood/kelp for 2-3 girls

hopefully rain water and a once a week watering (plain h2o)
will suffice until harvest(only get to my farm on weekends)

but i usually have a problem with animals digging up my dirt when i use blood/bone so i was wondering if any of these would suffice for blood (im gunna use bone meal anyways)

alfalfa pellets (rabbit food, i could crush it up to release faster)
rabbit droppings (its still in the cage atm with shavings and pee so its not composted)

if there isnt an easy effective way to suffice the blood i will buy some.. not all my plants will be using feeding recipe #1 so i wont lose my hole crop if animals get nosy and itd be nice to follow your recipe precisely anyways

im also gunna try out your fav recipe #3 the guano/kelp teas bcuz ive nvr used tea and it seems simple and effective.i also have PSG and high p bat guano from last year, lots of it.

i will only be able to apply the tea once a week but im planning to use a mulch with high p bat guano and 10.10.2 PSG and i dont think my girls will get hungry

now my BIGGEST problem is, i cannot get my hands on maxicrop or liquid karma in (im always looking though) they do sell a .3-.3-4 liquid kelp or seaweed extract i forget which would this work? and how would i use it

i know i can find and use kelp meal in the bone/blood/kelp recipe but can i use kelp meal in the guano teas aswell? also there are like 5 different brands of kelp meal wats a good npk to try and find

and instead of liquid karma im thinking mollasses will suffice to soak and start off the mediums and maybe in the teas aswell? also does it need to be black strap or just 100% pure molasses.

on a side note i was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to replace SOME ewc with shrimp compost like 1.5 parts ewc and .5 part shrimp compost in base soil recipe #1.

my reason for asking about shrimp compost is i have a big bag of it (doesnt smell so i assume its nicely composted) and ive heard good things about it, not to mention african ewc is much more expensive at 25$ for 20L and shrimp is 7$ for 30L (i would nvr try to replace the ewc just would like to substitute 20-50% to save cash and maybe improve my soil

this is an all outdoor grow, loving the big ol bulb in the sky

and thank you so much for sharing your information youve really made it easy and FUN to learn how to grow good dope. when im done ill definately burnone and then another and another.. =]

can any1 help?? im gunna buy some granulated blood meal and hope for no nosy animals so that clears up my first question but i still need help with

what can i use to suffice for maxicrop pwdr kelp in the guano teas (kelp meal? 1-1-2 or .5-.15-1.5 are 2 different kinds i can get which should i buy)

i cannot get liquid karma.. is there another similar brand name that does the exact same thing or can i just not use this and still get good results (i have found black strap mollasses)

and i went to the grow store where there charging 24$ for 20L of african earthworm castings and my dad flipped bcuz he can get it for 4$ a bag from the worm factory but the lady at the store said that the worm factory doesnt sterilize their ewc? does that make any sense? why would you have to sterilize ewc would that not ruin it? or am i doing right by paying 25$ a bag for "sterilized" ewc which doesnt say anything about being sterilized on the bag (i think this lady is full of shit.. she didnt even give me a receipt)

kava

Earthworm castings You dont want the sterilized worm castings. You are trying to boost your micro-biology and sterilizing them will kill it off. How ever you dont want to be placing a lot of seeds from other things (like tomatoes which the worms didnt eat and did survive the composting process) into your nice rich potting soils.Also I dont think she knows what she is talking about. My coustomers dont know how I produce my castings and know nothing of the process it takes to make a ton a week.She was how ever interested in getting the sale and would tell you most anything to make her bag of ewc look better to you to buy. IMHO hope that helps

poina

Greetings and Thanks! Where I'm at 37N/5E, the option of going to HD, Lowe's, Wal, online, doesn't exist. So I am making vege. compost, about 6 weeks or so to go. I was back in the U.S. recently and was able to order EWC, lime (pelletized, all they had), perlite, myco, and roots organic grow/bloom.

Should I mix the ewc, lime, and perlite into the compost now at lc #2 ratio and let it cook together? Should I wait with the myco until I put seedlings in above soil? Here humidity is a MF, but also have eagle 20 ew to counter this, any clue when I should spray? should this be used as preventative as summer humidity is never < 75%.
Also, if I mix above in my compost, should I wet with molassas and tiny bit of superthrive? Any help would be much appreciated!

V

vonforne

Hey sry for the essay its rly only 2-3 questions =]

im trying out base recipe #1 for an outdoor grow using feed recipe #1 bone/blood/kelp on a few girls . Aswell as trying out feed recipe #3 guano/kelp teas on a few girls but im having a few problems would rly appreciate your input

im gunna try feeding recipe #1 bone/blood/kelp for 2-3 girls

hopefully rain water and a once a week watering (plain h2o)
will suffice until harvest(only get to my farm on weekends)

but i usually have a problem with animals digging up my dirt when i use blood/bone so i was wondering if any of these would suffice for blood (im gunna use bone meal anyways)

alfalfa pellets (rabbit food, i could crush it up to release faster)
rabbit droppings (its still in the cage atm with shavings and pee so its not composted)

if there isnt an easy effective way to suffice the blood i will buy some.. not all my plants will be using feeding recipe #1 so i wont lose my hole crop if animals get nosy and itd be nice to follow your recipe precisely anyways

im also gunna try out your fav recipe #3 the guano/kelp teas bcuz ive nvr used tea and it seems simple and effective.i also have PSG and high p bat guano from last year, lots of it.

i will only be able to apply the tea once a week but im planning to use a mulch with high p bat guano and 10.10.2 PSG and i dont think my girls will get hungry

now my BIGGEST problem is, i cannot get my hands on maxicrop or liquid karma in toronto ontario (im always looking though) they do sell a .3-.3-4 liquid kelp or seaweed extract i forget which would this work? and how would i use it

i know i can find and use kelp meal in the bone/blood/kelp recipe but can i use kelp meal in the guano teas aswell? also there are like 5 different brands of kelp meal wats a good npk to try and find

and instead of liquid karma im thinking mollasses will suffice to soak and start off the mediums and maybe in the teas aswell? also does it need to be black strap or just 100% pure molasses.

on a side note i was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to replace SOME ewc with shrimp compost like 1.5 parts ewc and .5 part shrimp compost in base soil recipe #1.

my reason for asking about shrimp compost is i have a big bag of it (doesnt smell so i assume its nicely composted) and ive heard good things about it, not to mention african ewc is much more expensive at 25$ for 20L and shrimp is 7$ for 30L (i would nvr try to replace the ewc just would like to substitute 20-50% to save cash and maybe improve my soil

this is an all outdoor grow, loving the big ol bulb in the sky

and thank you so much for sharing your information youve really made it easy and FUN to learn how to grow good dope. when im done ill definately burnone and then another and another.. =]

drop the animal products and use all plant products and compost. You can use stinging nettles for veg made into a plant extract steeped in water. Alfalfa meal and Kelp meal in the hole mixed with compost. Add a little dolomite lime and some local rocks ad things to aerate the soil.

Do not use fish products unless you want all the animals to show up. LOL

V

FlaDankster

Veteran
I'm noticing that there are different ratios on the cal and mag with different products when it comes to the lime.What is the percentage i should be usin?I believe this was answered but me no find it.

Thanks FD

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Ok, so I just got back into town after a week vacation and just talked to my partner. He said that he quit feeding teas to our plants because he read that they need just water for the last 10 days (some of our strains are still 2-3 weeks out!) to "flush them". I told him that for organic that we did not need to flush and my understanding is that the plants will just take what they need. I have read the different theories on "starving" etc applied to the last couple of days, but we are doing them serious injustice by starving them for 10 - 20 days aren't we?

Using LCs mix number 2 and guano teas. Have been watering with teas every watering.

Before I get together with him, what is the quick thoughts?

Thanks!

V

vonforne

I'm noticing that there are different ratios on the cal and mag with different products when it comes to the lime.What is the percentage i should be usin?I believe this was answered but me no find it.

Thanks FD

35% Mg to 55% Ca

V

vonforne

Ok, so I just got back into town after a week vacation and just talked to my partner. He said that he quit feeding teas to our plants because he read that they need just water for the last 10 days (some of our strains are still 2-3 weeks out!) to "flush them". I told him that for organic that we did not need to flush and my understanding is that the plants will just take what they need. I have read the different theories on "starving" etc applied to the last couple of days, but we are doing them serious injustice by starving them for 10 - 20 days aren't we?

Using LCs mix number 2 and guano teas. Have been watering with teas every watering.

Before I get together with him, what is the quick thoughts?

Thanks!

the last 2 weeks plain water with molasses and the last water just water.

No more teas. Your plants need to be starting to yellow now.

V

V

vonforne

Greetings and Thanks! Where I'm at 37N/5E, the option of going to HD, Lowe's, Wal, online, doesn't exist. So I am making vege. compost, about 6 weeks or so to go. I was back in the U.S. recently and was able to order EWC, lime (pelletized, all they had), perlite, myco, and roots organic grow/bloom.

Should I mix the ewc, lime, and perlite into the compost now at lc #2 ratio and let it cook together? Should I wait with the myco until I put seedlings in above soil? Here humidity is a MF, but also have eagle 20 ew to counter this, any clue when I should spray? should this be used as preventative as summer humidity is never < 75%.
Also, if I mix above in my compost, should I wet with molassas and tiny bit of superthrive? Any help would be much appreciated!

Should I mix the ewc, lime, and perlite into the compost now at lc #2 ratio and let it cook together

That´s is a great idea! I would do it. Just make sure that you keep it aerated and you let it finish (the compost)and then cure it for a few weeks.

The EWC will add bacteria to the compost along with a bunch of others.

Wait with the fungi and place it in the continer the same time you transplant the seedlings into it.

eagle 20 ew what is that?

For humidity I would place a bowl of water in he room with a fish tank aerator and a stone. Should raise the RH for you a bit. Just take notes on what you do so if you have to modify it yo know what you have done already.

superthrive I .....personally, would loose the ST.

Hope that helps.

V

poina

Thanks for the fast reply von, I'll mix and let it go for a couple months. My humidity here is too high all the time, the eagle 20 is a fungicide many have been raving about in the forums. Thanks again!

V

vonforne

If your RH is too high then use cat littler in a bucket wth holes drilled in the bottom for a catch pan.

V

I'd like to thank Batboy, rasputin, xebeche, and, of course, vonforne for the advice.

It may sound corny, but you guys have made a positive impact on my little corner of the world. Cheers!

drop the animal products and use all plant products and compost. You can use stinging nettles for veg made into a plant extract steeped in water. Alfalfa meal and Kelp meal in the hole mixed with compost. Add a little dolomite lime and some local rocks ad things to aerate the soil.

Do not use fish products unless you want all the animals to show up. LOL

V

so i should forget lcs mix? and just use native soil and compost for a base and kelp and alfalfa meal is enuff added ferts? or do i gotta add guano teas in the summer (wont rly be a prob). can i add peat moss to aerate i heard perlite is ez to see from the sky which is fatal for me.

if so that would be sooo ez and a miracle for me. what kind of compost would be best cattle, cow, shrimp or sheep?

thx alot and ty kava

Latest posts

Latest posts