What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Big Brother

Old stoner compost mix: One old whole garbage can and one huge drip pan and then a bucket of decompose fir bark, one sack of potting soil( inexpensive kind) houseold orgaincs, a bag of store bought steer manure,( for bacteria) for two weeks to a month you throw all the orgaincs, it is covered and then a bottle of cheap soda to help the compost start decompose.

K

kidkannabis

greetings.i have a quick question for the organic experts here.Im starting my first indoor organic grow and was wondering if "dirty" fish water(my lil bro got two small fish from some friend and he tends to forget to clean out the water) is good to water plants with? The fish are small and their tanks water fits in a .79 qts (750ml) water bottle so its not alot but ill b able to get some at least once a week.IF its good for plants may i mix it with molasses?Any advice or insight is appreciated.

T

TheOneWill

Check the Aquaponics thread in the Organic Hydro Kidkannabis.
I talked to a guy an he said you can use the "dirty" water an mix it with molasses.
I just don't know the measurements if you find out hit me thread up with them I would like to know.

K

kidkannabis

HEy theOnewill i read most of that article and let me tell u it has alot of info.I didnt catch the part about using it molasses,aquaponics is much more advance then i thought.I dont think its for everyone.but indeed i think i will use fishwater like they say.some handwater plants and some have neat DWC and EBB and Flow systems with recirculating fish tank for the pee and poo.You gotta read it to fully understand.But i think i will just add 1/4 tsp molasses to the water i gather every week(.79 qts of dirty but good fishwater).i think thats a good start.ill let u know how my plants like it.Happy growing!!!

K

kidkannabis

quick note.i made a soil mix for a transplant for when its ready.it consists of:
2 parts miracle grow organic soil mix
1 part perlite
4 dried and crushed eggshells
3 dried banana peels that i left in some dirt to help decompose
1 small handfull of woodash
1 tbsp. of bird poo i gathered from my moms birdfeeder

I dunno if thats too much.hopefully the plants like it.any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

green_grow

Veteran
since this is the organics section, i think this is the place to ask this question ...

i am making my own (indoor) compost using recycled soil and vegetable/fruit peelings and scraps, cannabis leaves, some grass clippings and a few tree leaves from outside. would the residual pesticides from the fruit/vegetable waste be significant when used for growing smokeables, or is it negligible (using produce that has been rinsed before use) ?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
Check the Aquaponics thread in the Organic Hydro Kidkannabis.
I talked to a guy an he said you can use the "dirty" water an mix it with molasses.
I just don't know the measurements if you find out hit me thread up with them I would like to know.

It can be done, Soma used to breed fish and use the tank water to water in flowering and veg.
What you feed the fish is going to have an impact of the quality of the fish poop you using so use the good stuff.

Suby

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
kidkannabis said:
quick note.i made a soil mix for a transplant for when its ready.it consists of:
2 parts miracle grow organic soil mix
1 part perlite
4 dried and crushed eggshells
3 dried banana peels that i left in some dirt to help decompose
1 small handfull of woodash
1 tbsp. of bird poo i gathered from my moms birdfeeder

I dunno if thats too much.hopefully the plants like it.any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Skip the eggshell because they break down too slow to be usefull.
Alos skip non composted bird shit in the future, bird shit has to be fossilized and then composted to remove pathogens and make stable.
Use the eggshells in a compost or worm bin ground very fine but not directly in pots.
Wood ashes can cause havok on your soil ph so be on the watch for that.
The rotting banana is great for feeinding the soil fungi as it is a complex sugar.
You'll need an N source for that mix, lots to chose from here.
Look into kelp meal for a K source instead of the ash and dolomite lime for calcium and magnesium.

Suby

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
green_grow said:
since this is the organics section, i think this is the place to ask this question ...

i am making my own (indoor) compost using recycled soil and vegetable/fruit peelings and scraps, cannabis leaves, some grass clippings and a few tree leaves from outside. would the residual pesticides from the fruit/vegetable waste be significant when used for growing smokeables, or is it negligible (using produce that has been rinsed before use) ?

Seing as these are the remains of food you already ate I'd say they are safe enough.
As you mention make sure you rinse any fruits or veges, i recommend this even if your not composting lol.
To help it along the heat from the composting will deteriorate alot of undesirables but I can't say for sure which and how.
We are surrrounded by chems all over so it's not perfect but it's as close as we get and shit it still will beat the hell out of storebough composts that use chicken litter and mystery ingredients.
Remember to balance your brown with your greens in a compost bin and use a little lime or eggshell for Ca and Mg in there and you'll have a balanced compost source in no time.

:rasta:

S

G

hey Suby i see you are active here in organics...

i wnat to ask you something. i am making organic garden now in fall. i just cleaned up soil today and make a finelayer of leaves on the top.
i'll make a compost bin and use stuff like horse shit and leaves to make it hot. kinda fast compost making...
i will be making worm castings to...

what do you think? will i have a fine soil in the spring?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wnat to ask you something. i am making organic garden now in fall. i just cleaned up soil today and make a finelayer of leaves on the top.
i'll make a compost bin and use stuff like horse shit and leaves to make it hot. kinda fast compost making...
i will be making worm castings to...

what do you think? will i have a fine soil in the spring?

how soon will you start? how big will the pile be? where? you should have good compost by spring as long as it doesnt freeze for long periods of time, doesnt get soaked out by rain, and is properly turned to keep it heated.

also check out the backyard composters sticky at the top of the forum.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hello guys,

yeah it`s a bit of a broad question, the thing with creating a healthy plot of soil is balancing green compost and brown composts, manure can be hot for a quick compost just make sure it is fully composted by spring.
As JK mentions you`ll need to turn the soil to earate, check the sticky out at the top of the forum page, it has alot of info on proper composting.

S

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
This thread is dedicated to questions like yours so no need to apologize and feel free to ask more. :headbange

We refered you to the sticky simply because it is a lengthy subject and these threads cover all the basics. :joint:

Any ? is allowed here with regards to organics, the only stupid ? is the one not asked as B1 would say.

Suby

K

kidkannabis

hey thanks Suby.Since you know way more then i do when it comes to organics, i will start a new mix as you suggested.im sure youve had good experiences with it so my plants must love it when theyre ready for it.Much kudos to you good sir.Viva la mota!!

SquintMan

Dechlorination

Dechlorination

Could I use something like aquarium tap water conditioner to treat my water before I start? This stuff removes chlorine and binds toxic heavy metals to make it safe for fish. Would adding this to water conflict with true organic farming?

BTW, if you're looking for an aquarium air pump or any other aquarium related stuff, I highly recommend Big Al's Online for customer service and pricing. (US Market)

Yeah, I saw that stuff in my local Walmart and wondered the same thing....but isn't it better to "age" the water in a broad, open-top container to let the chlorine dissipate? I'd be more inclined to do that than have to add something that may or may not have an effect on the plants.

acidfire

I have found a nice outdoor spot for this upcoming season.
My problem is the soil has high clay content.
Sofar I mixed in a large bag of perlite and vercumulite, and doing so noticed quite a few earthworms (so there should be worm castings, correct?).
The soil still needs to be loosened up so I did some reading and found out I need to add alot of organic material.

Heres my questions:
How much organic material do I need to add?
I read 1 part organic to 1 part soil.
Does this sound like a good proportion?
Or should I do something like 2 parts for every 1 part soil?

Also, any suggestions for what kind of organic material, or anything else I should add?
The spot it at the top of a very steep hill and will need to be packed up.
I was thinking peat moss and manure?
Ill get into dry amendments later, just want to fix the drainage issue.

Thanks a million.

G

for worm castings you need some organic material there,
so that worms will have something to eat.
vermaculite is for attaining moisture in the soil,
so in my opinion you should skipped it, (clay is the best moisture and water "holder")
but what a hell, it's already done.

yes, add as much organic materials you can.
mix in some potting soil and compost or something. i would do taht in your case.
wait for some other opinions too, they migh be better.

add soil+compost and you have nothing to loose imo!

edit:
The easiest and least-expensive way to improve heavy clay soils is by adding organic matter. Robert Parnes, a soil science consultant in Maine, advises working in plenty of coarse materials like straw, pine needles, or mature plant stalks. These materials help to open up the soil since they don't break down as quickly as fine, light materials. Pine needles are particularly resistant to decay because of the presence of resinous compounds. Straw is effective because of its tubelike shape. The bulkier the material, the better.

Improve the drainage, tilth, and overall quality of your soil by mixing compost into your garden beds. Even better, double-dig your beds. This process adds organic matter and loosens the soil, making it easier for water and air to reach the roots of your plants. For instructions on double- digging, see "Start a Fresh Bed" in our March 2004 issue. Another option is to build raised beds and fill them with a high-quality, well-draining topsoil.

Whichever method you choose, allow the newly fluffed soil to settle for a couple of days before planting. And don't walk on your new bed; you'll compact it and undo all your hard work.
//organicgardening.com//

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts