What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

T

TheOneWill

How often should I water my plants with Liquid Karma once they are in the fertilized soil?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I'm always about less is more but you could essentially use it every time you water but every 2nd would be better.
It's a catalyst so it will help makes all your soil nutrients work together.
The key here is to use less, like 1/4 the recommended amount on the bottle for the given stage.

Suby

T

TheOneWill

Thanks Suby, I got like 4 seedlings that been in veg for 3weeks I'm been watering them with kelp meal and blood meal. The reason why is because I haven't mixed the soil yet. which I'm gonna start today without the Greensand.

G

I'm voting with Suby - - less is definatly more.

Go very gently - blood meal is better when aged. It's pretty strong initially. it's pretty strong later too.

Bone meal takes a LOOOOOONG time to break down.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
Thanks Suby, I got like 4 seedlings that been in veg for 3weeks I'm been watering them with kelp meal and blood meal. The reason why is because I haven't mixed the soil yet. which I'm gonna start today without the Greensand.

If your mixing ammended soil and adding things like blood and bone and kelp meal then make sure to compost properly for at least 2 weeks.
Kelp meal works much better as part of a soil mix and IMHO so do blood and bone.
I usually make sure to make a special mix for seedling so I don't have to feed them anything but water, you want to feed with the soil and less with ferts , that's become my approach as of the last few years.
A good seedling mix that will get them by for awhile is 1/3 peat. 1/3 perlite, 1/3 worm castings (the castings have a full range of micro and macro elements so a sort of all in one that will never burn your plants).
The idea is that a soil medium is buffered and the fertilizers are released over time as opposed to feeding a tea that could be too high in one element or another.
A good rule of thumb is the day you plant seeds you mix your soil for veg, again when you transplant into the veg mix prepare the flowering mix the same day, this way the soil is very well composted and ready earlier if your girls go crazy and get big quick, plus transplants create a mess and so does soil mixing so you save time on cleanp (i know ultra lazy lol).
:joint:
Suby

Last edited:
T

TheOneWill

When I was watering my plants I just put a table spoon of kelp and blood meal in 1 gallon of water. I added no liquid karma. So when I water my plants again, should I add liquid karma to the kelp and blood meal water to break it down? Or should I just let it sit in the water and shake it up?
Thanks Suby.

TheOneWill

Goldenseed

Hey @ all!!!

I would like to know what you think about my „Soilmix“.Im tired of giving out alot of $ for a shitty soil that doesnt bring the results that i want.I know that there are alot of easy mixes on the first few pages but theres always one or two parts missing that i cant get where i live.....and thats what i came up with after a long research.This would be my first try in mixing my own Soil so I touhgt i ask in this forum for someone who can tell me whether this Soilmix is okay or not ,or is there anything that must be added to the mix or leaved out of the mix?

“My Soilmix”:

-66 gallons Black Peat (as “basic-soil”)
-6.6 gallons Wormpoo (for Nitrogen)
-100 gramm Vinasse (for Potassium)
-6.6 gallons Bio Compost (to stimulate bacterial life)
-75 gramm Seaweedmeal (for trace elements and to stimulate bacterial life)
-Guano(high Phosphor) or Bonemeal (wich is the better one?)
-Dolomit lime(for Calcium/Magnesium)(How much per gallon of Soil?)
-and for sure Perlite (20% of the complete mix)

Please excuse the information in gallons and gramm but i had to “translate” it with an online converter cause im from europe and we do the metric system...if you find any mistakes please feel free to correct me!!!

Thanks alot and greetz Goldenseed :wave:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Suby said:
I'm always about less is more but you could essentially use it every time you water but every 2nd would be better.
It's a catalyst so it will help makes all your soil nutrients work together.
The key here is to use less, like 1/4 the recommended amount on the bottle for the given stage.

Suby
This is the first time I have to disagree with Suby. :wave:
Liquid Karma is full of humic acids which allow nutrient uptake when pH is off. LK also contains kelp and molasses as well as amino acids. I'd use it every watering or feeding up until the last two waterings.

Sorry 'bout that Suby old buddy. :rasta:

Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goldenseed said:
Hey @ all!!!

I would like to know what you think about my „Soilmix“.Im tired of giving out alot of $ for a shitty soil that doesnt bring the results that i want.I know that there are alot of easy mixes on the first few pages but theres always one or two parts missing that i cant get where i live.....and thats what i came up with after a long research.This would be my first try in mixing my own Soil so I touhgt i ask in this forum for someone who can tell me whether this Soilmix is okay or not ,or is there anything that must be added to the mix or leaved out of the mix?

“My Soilmix”:

-66 gallons Black Peat (as “basic-soil”)
-6.6 gallons Wormpoo (for Nitrogen)
-100 gramm Vinasse (for Potassium)
-6.6 gallons Bio Compost (to stimulate bacterial life)
-75 gramm Seaweedmeal (for trace elements and to stimulate bacterial life)
-Guano(high Phosphor) or Bonemeal (wich is the better one?)
-Dolomit lime(for Calcium/Magnesium)(How much per gallon of Soil?)
-and for sure Perlite (20% of the complete mix)

Please excuse the information in gallons and gramm but i had to “translate” it with an online converter cause im from europe and we do the metric system...if you find any mistakes please feel free to correct me!!!

Thanks alot and greetz Goldenseed :wave:

That's not going to be enough nitrogen. Guano is fast acting. Bone is just as good but it needs to be mixed into the soil, moistened and given about two weeks to start working.
Dolomite is used @ 2 tbs./gal. or 1 cup/cubic foot of soil mix.
Check the beginning of this thread for nitrogen and phosphorous doses.
Burn1

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
BurnOne said:
This is the first time I have to disagree with Suby. :wave:
Liquid Karma is full of humic acids which allow nutrient uptake when pH is off. LK also contains kelp and molasses as well as amino acids. I'd use it every watering or feeding up until the last two waterings.

Sorry 'bout that Suby old buddy. :rasta:

Burn1

Hey no sweat I'm just glad you could chime in and correct me :spank:
Glad to see ya back for awhile :headbange

S

Goldenseed

Thanks alot !!!!

Thanks for your reply BurnOne...you made my live a little easyer.

That's not going to be enough nitrogen.

For more Nitrogen i will go with Peru Guano thats easy to get in my stores

Dolomite is used @ 2 tbs./gal. or 1 cup/cubic foot of soil mix.

Can anybody tell me how much gramm a tbs. is? I know that a tablespoon is meant and i would think that 1tbs. is roughly 15gramm maybe 10gramm but that would make alot of lime for 66gal. soil(nearly 1 Kilogramm seems to be a little much)

Edit:Can i use this mix(look at post #187) without adding teas for the whole flower cycle(i grow average indoor strains that take from 8 to max.12-13 weeks)or will i get nute defencies and what should i leave out of the mix that i can use it for the vegetative stage?

I hope you all dont mind the newbie questions...of course i did a research first but its really hard to come up with an clear answer if you are not that experienced.

Thanks alot in advance!!!!

Keep it organic Goldenseed :wave:

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Suby said:
B1 what amount per gallon are you using the LK at?

Hey Suby. :wave:

I ALWAYS use the directions on the product label as a starting point. I have used LK @ 1 tbs.gal. H2O every watering/feeding.
Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goldenseed said:
Can anybody tell me how much gramm a tbs. is? I know that a tablespoon is meant and i would think that 1tbs. is roughly 15gramm maybe 10gramm but that would make alot of lime for 66gal. soil(nearly 1 Kilogramm seems to be a little much)

Edit:Can i use this mix(look at post #187) without adding teas for the whole flower cycle(i grow average indoor strains that take from 8 to max.12-13 weeks)or will i get nute defencies and what should i leave out of the mix that i can use it for the vegetative stage?

I hope you all dont mind the newbie questions.

Goldenseed-
A Tablespoon = 15ml in liquid mesaure. Dry volume should be close. And, close is fine. And that's about right for the amount of dolomite lime you'll need. One cubic foot = 28.3 liters. One cup = 236.588 ml. So, 237ml dolomite lime/28liters soil mix.

You'll need to use the maximum dose of nitrogen for the first two weeks of flowering. The plants will begin to grow at an extremely rapid rate called "the stretch". They need lots of nitrogen for this two to four week period. After that, you can go without nitrogen or potassium.

This place is designed to help the "newbie" and we love helping. Ask all the questions you want. The only dumb question is one not asked. (except for the pH and flushing questions). :muahaha:

Burn1

Goldenseed

Thanks alot BurnOne!!!!

First let me say you are doin a good job in getting more people to Organic Growing.....thanks alot for that :respect:

You'll need to use the maximum dose of nitrogen for the first two weeks of flowering. The plants will begin to grow at an extremely rapid rate called "the stretch". They need lots of nitrogen for this two to four week period. After that, you can go without nitrogen or potassium.
So should i also give teas in this time to have enough nitrogen and potassium?

Sometimes im a little slow in understanding things and the language barrier doesnt make it easyer but as you said:
The only dumb question is one not asked.

Last edited:
T

tyler

BurnOne said:
RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.
Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too.
Burn1

so which mix are we talking bout? (sorry i'm a newb) :bashhead:
i have some european potting soil with a NPK ratio of 12,5-15-27. ph is supposed to be around 6.0.
what should i add if i would want to start some seedlings in this soil?
i have perlite and dolomite lime. i'm also hoping that some ebay shops are willing to ship me the blood,bone,kelp meals and greensand. the shippings probably going to cost twice or more as times as much as the product itself but i sure hope its worth it :rasta:
so right now, with only perlite and dolomite and the 12,5-15-27 potting soil, what/how much should i use and could someone please give me the gallon ratio instead of the cubic foot, thanks :wave:

Last edited:

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Tyler -

This looks like the additives to BUILD a soil mix. If your soil is really 12.5-15-27, get new soil. Those are numbers for a strong, all purpose fertilizer, not a potting mix. I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest (which is kinda 'hot'), and add a ton of perlite, vermiculite, and all the organic goodies that I can get lol. I have thrown in some plant sucess micro's, mixed in some rare earth/diamond black, and light warrior soil, sprayed liberally with B-1, earth juice and molasses. The NPK of the soil is still probably under 1-.05-.05. Look for a potting soil that is under .05-.05-.05 npk, or you will kill your seedlings and clones. Good luck!

mushroom compost and organic microbugs

mushroom compost and organic microbugs

I noticed on post #109 of this thread that it was stated that mushroom compost had a high pH, but then realized they were referring to store bought. What can soaked and simmered rye berries and oat straw, two common components of bulk grows bring to the table as far as organic nutrients are concerned, even if not processed by shrooms? Can rye berries take the place of alfalfa as an amendment for example. And does anyone have any experience where discarded casings that have contams which are bad for mushies (green mold, etc.), might be actually beneficial for our growing needs when mixed with an organic soil mix?

How much of a mycellial culture, possibily from bulk or from old mushy grows would an organic farmer use in his mix, or would it just be thrown into compost for next year? And would that have a high pH as well?

Finally, Advanced Nutrients has voodoo juice, piranha, and tarantula which all use microorganisms of different types to break down nitrogen and increase root uptake of nutes and keep the roots healthy, could these be cultivated in a compost pile for next year with occasional feedings of a molasses mixture? Perhaps with some planning, the yields would be devastating!

Thanks for this thread,
TheAfficianado :joint:

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goldenseed said:
Thanks alot BurnOne!!!!

First let me say you are doin a good job in getting more people to Organic Growing.....thanks alot for that :respect:

So should i also give teas in this time to have enough nitrogen and potassium?

Sometimes im a little slow in understanding things and the language barrier doesnt make it easyer but as you said:

Just stick to your veg ferts for the first two weeks of flowering.
Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tyler said:
so which mix are we talking bout? (sorry i'm a newb) :bashhead:
i have some european potting soil with a NPK ratio of 12,5-15-27. ph is supposed to be around 6.0.
what should i add if i would want to start some seedlings in this soil?
i have perlite and dolomite lime. i'm also hoping that some ebay shops are willing to ship me the blood,bone,kelp meals and greensand. the shippings probably going to cost twice or more as times as much as the product itself but i sure hope its worth it :rasta:
so right now, with only perlite and dolomite and the 12,5-15-27 potting soil, what/how much should i use and could someone please give me the gallon ratio instead of the cubic foot, thanks :wave:

tyler-
That is a hot mix you have there. Don't put seeds in it.
Use one of the soil mixes I suggested (LC's Mixes) as a base. Then add the bone, blood, kelp to it.
Burn1