What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Liquid Karma
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

how do i setup for whole grow? i have 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, reality i can only make 4 gallons right? use air pump w/ 2 airstones running 24/7 in covered bucket. I saw a 3LB manual they didnt use stocking, what is recirculating reservoir? do i just pour out till 1 gallon left then top off w/ more water and more nutes, if no stocking how i guarrantee no extra guano left in the 1 gallon, so i dont make it to strong? can i use a fountain pump to pump out of 5 gal bucket into 1 gal jug to pour over plants, or should i just pour from 5 gal bucket?

G

Shew, young one time for some reading! lol Just kidding...well not really. You can't make a tea for a whole grow. There is a veg period and a flower period. Both have different plant needs. That's one of the reasons for using teas. Look for a thread on teas. It is a sticky I believe. Read through that. Most of your answers are there.
That mix you posted is based on 5 gallons. You make a gallon, if that's what you need. You cut down on the goodies to gallon size portions. And never just pour the water over the plants. Very poor way of doing it.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
looks like lots of info on here. im going to be putting together some soil to transplant into. thought id get a little input on what else i should be looking for. so far ive got going promix, perlite, bloodmeal, bonemeal, compost and sheep manure. i guess i should get some lime and wormcastings?

i should clarify, i was looking for someone w/ exp. using the posted fromula as well as the flower formula. of course i would pour around the base of the plant at ground level, i dont need diff conversions, if i run this tea w/o stocking through a fountain pump so i can more easily pour it out, will undisolved partilces ( EWC ,guanos, etc stick inside the pump to the impellor fan or something? then i wouldnt want to use same pump for both veg and flower, or i could go the stocking route, how long do stocking last? i can use them evvery day for 30, 60, 90, 120 days? lets say i make a veg tea and feed the plants one day, should i use a differnt bucket and start to make a whole new tea, or should i not use the whole of the first tea and just top it off. i have plants in both veg and flower, also diff plants dry out at diff rates.

also what about Earth Juice catalyst as substitute for anything?
now i have read the bottom sticky, i suppose that is where i should have posted all this.

Last edited:
T

TheOneWill

How much and how often should I use Liquid Karma to water my plants that are in flower?
Lately I'm been using it every other water. I uselessly water my plants every other day.
There in 1 gallon pots and I got 11 of them.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
How much and how often should I use Liquid Karma to water my plants that are in flower?
Lately I'm been using it every other water. I uselessly water my plants every other day.
There in 1 gallon pots and I got 11 of them.

B1 uses it pretty much every watering, we discussed it earlier in the thread, I now use it every 2nd as a result and so far the girls like it.

I`m running with 2 tsp per gallon the bottled recommends about the same or more.

S

hibernatingbear

trying to understand these ratios 3-1-2 veg and 1-3-2 flower

heres one of the mixes:
RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.

if blood is 12-0-0, bone 4-12-0, and kelp meal 1-0-2
we get a ratio of: 10.5-12-1

what am I missing here, why is K so low? I see greensand to supplement but it apparently breaks down very slowly and is only 0-0-0.1 anyway.

G

Greensand is effective if you are reusing your soil. For the one grow and throw guys, it doesn't do you much. Guano would suit you better. If you plan on using teas you, molasses helps supplement it. And you use guano in the teas. In fact its sop.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
The K comes from the kelp meal, plus liquid seaweed during flowering will also bump up K, sulpomag is also a good choice for a K supplement in soil.

OF has it right, the effects of green sand will appear only after the 2nd or 3rd grow with recycled soil containing it, it is great as a soil conditioner, it's keep the soil crumbly and rough.

Don't get caught up in the NPK addition game with organics, even with high NPK numbers some of these are only medium release, the # only refers to the available % or a given element and does not factor in it's release or even uptake by the microherd, they munch what they like first.

With kelp meal and liquid kelp in teas during flowering your grow will be fine.

S

T

TheOneWill

I put one table spoon per gallon and water every other watering with it. Do plants like wet soil or most or dry. Because I water my plants every 2-3 days when they are not moist. There in 3 liter pots.

Will the one?

Wet = bad

Water plants when top inch or so of soil becomes dried out. If unsure I dig in a little with my finger.

If you're over-watering you could have droopy leaves, but it seems you're doing fine; if watering when the soil is almost dry.

Philosophies on this vary as to how dry is dry enough to water [experience will show-strains are different] sativas like a little drier in my exp., indicas the opposite.

My favorite concept is wetter water (more hydrophilic).

Maybe try bubbling your tea [with an airstone and airpump] I think it would help.
Greatly. Unless, you already are, but from your posts it appears that you do not.

I add stuff like water from a pre-boil soak of rice {thanks muddyw} no salt added, hehe

-and what about sugars like molasses or so?

Keep it grrrrrr....owin.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
I put one table spoon per gallon and water every other watering with it. Do plants like wet soil or most or dry. Because I water my plants every 2-3 days when they are not moist. There in 3 liter pots.

Sorry I missed your respon TOW :asskick:

The lift method is something you have look into if your serious about growing in soil.
Plants that are ready to water are significantly lighter than one that is not due for a watering. :nono:
Take the time to get accustomed to the weight a a plant due or even slightly overdue to be watered, in time you get the hang of it. :rasta:
This method works even with small clones in beer cups.

Overwatering is just as bad as underwatering, find something in between.
Organic soil gardens need alot of perlite and time to dry put t maximize air to the rootzone to help the microherd, too wet and the lock nutes out.

Your LK use sounds spot on BTW.

Peace
S

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hibernatingbear said:
trying to understand these ratios 3-1-2 veg and 1-3-2 flower

heres one of the mixes:
RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.

if blood is 12-0-0, bone 4-12-0, and kelp meal 1-0-2
we get a ratio of: 10.5-12-1

what am I missing here, why is K so low? I see greensand to supplement but it apparently breaks down very slowly and is only 0-0-0.1 anyway.

That's 2X bone. So, 21-24-2. But that recipe is for an entire grow from veg to flower. The plant will take what it needs.
Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Due to the confusion in making guano teas from the "Recipe #3", I have edited the recipe.

BurnOne said:
RECIPE #3 (My favorite)
If you want to use guano tea and kelp...

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nute tea mix-
1-cup earthworm castings/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering

Veg mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
(That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)
5 tbs. Liquid Karma
@ 1-cup dry mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
(That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
@ 2 cups dry mix/5 gallons of water EVERY watering.
You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.

Enjoy.
Burn1 :wave:

Last edited:
Hey BurnOne, You have very good info and I got my tea understanding from you, greatly appreciated!!

I am a little confused about the whole soil ordeal. Can you explain it to me a little??

I just dont understand when people say organic soil, to organic soilless. Or some will add organic fertilizer to organic soil, some will add ORGANIC potting soil with ORGANIC soil? You see what I mean?? I just dont understand this crap, its very confusing and its giving me a headache.. Maybe I am just thinking too much??

Is there a NOOB thread? Where people just ask questions and Professionals answer? There is a thread like that on GC and its great.. If you could help me out it would be much appreciated...

G

Quick question, when combining the mix and using parts if i use a 3qt container for parts how would i count the promix, would i loosely fill the pot with 3qt of promix or would i make it firm and pack it down like in a plant container?
thanks! :)

edit: Also say i bought a 2cu.ft. bale of promix for containers, on it it says 2cu.ft packed = 4cu.ft loose, when making a mix would i base the parts ratio off of 2cu.ft or 4cu.ft? Hope that made sense :)

Last edited:
G

Light and fluffy, my friend...like most of my posts. Don't pack it in..let some air in thar.

hibernatingbear

BurnOne said:
That's 2X bone. So, 21-24-2. But that recipe is for an entire grow from veg to flower. The plant will take what it needs.
Burn1

Hi BurnOne, suby, oldfool,

Thank you for your replys. What would you suggest for a SOG recipe? ie.
clone to 1 gallon pot with mix, then 1 week or so veg, followed by 60 day flower.

I was thinking cutting blood meal in half and maybe lowering the amounts of bone and kelp slightly.

My tentative base is 4 parts FFOF, 2 parts Pro-Mix, 2 parts Castings, 2 parts chunky perlite. I add a myco innoculant to this.

Then during the grow I'll water with LK, molasses and light teas (Pure Blend Original and FF Big Bloom) as needed.

Its a sort of customized version based on this thread and BOGs old threads.

Latest posts

Latest posts