What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

I used dolomite lime as well, at the recommended dose of 2tbs/gal. As a beginner, I tried to copy the mix as precisely as I could. I use bio-bizz grow and bloom for nutrients. I have been using them quite sparsely this grow, as the breeder of the particular variety I'm growing emphasizes using as little nutrients as possible for the best quality.

Nobody lived in my current apt for two years before I moved in, so the pipes might be super-loaded with calcium and other kinds of mineral deposits.

When lights came on today, about an hour ago, all but one were looking much better. I'll update if the distilled doesn't continue to make positive change.

T

TheOneWill

If you use fast active lime instead of dolomite lime would that effect the soil?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
If you use fast active lime instead of dolomite lime would that effect the soil?
Of course it would. Hydrated lime will screw up your grow. It doesn't have enough Mg or Ca either. Don't use it. Use dolomite.
Burn1

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
BurnOne said:
Of course it would. Hydrated lime will screw up your grow. It doesn't have enough Mg or Ca either. Don't use it. Use dolomite.
Burn1

He doesn't have access to dolomitic lime, I steered him towards crushed oyster shells.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I assumed he was talking about hydrated lime. He may need to supplement Mg with Epsom salts.
Burn1

Linenoise

I was wondering if anyone could give a couple of suggestions for alternatives to Powered Kelp Extract. I'm resisting the need to order more stuff (can't get the powered kelp anyplce locally) if possible.

Thus far I have been using Maxicrop liquified seaweed as a substitute when making teas, but it seems like I am missing out on something still.

Is this an acceptable substitute for the powered version? Presently, I am using about a TBS per gallon of tea.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Powdered kelp is richer in micronutrients over a bottled kelp but that's just what I've read, Maxicrop should be a fine sub as long as you've used plenty of castings.

S

T

TheOneWill

How long should I wait till I transplant my seedling into the nuted soiless mix?

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
although i have gone organic, still don't know the intricacies of it all heres the Q: got some liquid budswell and wanted to mix it with some molasses for feeding during flower, i don't have to bubble this right?

V

vhGhost

frank, i believe just bubbling your water(unless RO), is a good idea if its from the tap(24hrs).

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey Frank,

It won't turn it into an activated aerobic tea but ti will better oxygenate the water and get rid of exxess chlorine and get more of the Budswell to break down into the water.

S

T

TheOneWill

If I top dress my seedling with kelp meal,bone meal, and blood meal would it help it? Also how much should I top it with? It's in a 16oz beer cup.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
How long should I wait till I transplant my seedling into the nuted soiless mix?

As far as the soil mix being ready, if you used bone meal in it you'll have to wait about two weeks after wetting it before the bone gets broken down enough to be available.

If you're talking about your seedlings, plants from seed don't need any nutes until they're two to four weeks old. Clones only need to be rooted.

Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TheOneWill said:
If I top dress my seedling with kelp meal,bone meal, and blood meal would it help it? Also how much should I top it with? It's in a 16oz beer cup.

Top dressing with bone meal or mixing bone meal with water does absolutely nothing. Bone needs to be mixed into the soil and kept wet to be made available. Mix the kelp and blood with water and pour it onto the soil medium.
Burn1

T

TheOneWill

The only reason why I ask is because my seedlings are growing very slowly. Only one seems strong. :)

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey Pirate.

Glad you enjoy the efforts of our resident mentors.
BTW Tank Girl Rules!

S

jrw

Hey Suby,

You yourself are one of those very mentors you mention.

Presently I'm tending a Hashplant mom in a mix very similar to yours :D

Actually, the most beautiful plant I have ever haved :jawdrop:

And guess what - I have 11 nice little presexed babies just waiting to get big enough for that mix :headbange

I LOVE this subforum and the guys sharing hard earned experiences out of shear helpfulness in here... (hehe)

Last edited:
T

TheOneWill

Anybody know where I can Greensand at? I'm been going to my local garden store and they said they'll get it in so an so day and when I go that day or the day after. They say they never got it or some bullshit. :ugh:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Not all growers agree with me but I find Grensand a waste on $ unless you are planning to reuse your soil.
It takes greesand a long time to break down so the benefits will only really kick in after the first round of growing IMHO, I find it great in compost bins and especially in wormbins because worms need roughage for digestion.
Kelp meal will do ALOT more for you as a K and micro nutrient source but if your soil recycling go nuts with the GS.

S

Latest posts

Latest posts