What's new

Organics and PH-Lets settle this once and for all?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I actually skip and do a little singing through mine... ;)
Me too!.....except when I actually do stumble.
I used a meter for over 20 years that I know of....I only bust it out to check my curiosities of rainwater,teas,runoffs...and at that,once in a great while. It's these well put together soil mixes that keeps a kid from ever knowing anything more than he needs to. I've been through all the ph nightmares.....experience and retaining the knowledge to understand WHY these things happen is what keeps a lot of us from giving up.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Look at pH only if you care what the hell you are doing. Most of you guys will stumble through your lil 3 month trips over and over with no problems that you'll note in your current, single location. And with that experience, in the absence of insight and utter lack of controls,,, with this lack of knowledge, you'll all skip away thinking all is fine and dandy/hunky-dory, purdy much,,, whilst you continue to go merrily along handing out the very worst of advice to folks. -Tom (just checking-in :))

At first I thought this was bullshit, but now I see what you're saying. It's because so many of us only grow "little 3 month trips" that we don't need to measure pH. In bigger grows is where measuring pH becomes life-or-death. See I thought soil biology was soil biology, regardless of the number of plants grown in it.

Now I get it! :tiphat:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Thank God for that, eh? Being a small-time, 3-month yahoo has certain advantages.

Who knew???

I'm still chuckling thinking about a major organic farming operation down in the Salinas District called 'Del Cabo' which has production fields in 6 locations in the Salinas Valley as well as 3 fields in Baja California.

Del Cabo specializes in the small 'grape tomatoes' that you might find at a Whole Foods type of stores as well as upscale mainstream grocers like Safeway, Krogers, et al.

Trying to 'maintain the PH' on several hundred acres must take a real team of experts probably brought in from the cannabis-growing industry, eh?

I'm sure it was a touching moment when they first met. Having a 'real grower' explain how the boar runs through the buckwheat in growing organic produce and getting it to market in good shape was probably a real treat.

Or not.

CC

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I had no idea that guy was such a tw@t....... huh Can check 2 things off that seed order I was a makin...... my grow is too small

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look at pH only if you care what the hell you are doing. Most of you guys will stumble through your lil 3 month trips over and over with no problems that you'll note in your current, single location. And with that experience, in the absence of insight and utter lack of controls,,, with this lack of knowledge, you'll all skip away thinking all is fine and dandy/hunky-dory, purdy much,,, whilst you continue to go merrily along handing out the very worst of advice to folks. -Tom (just checking-in :))

i will readily admit that learning for me involved doing a lot of getting to understand PH -and i agree it is a good idea to be able to measure it if you need to

but the last meter i bought says everything is 6.5 (literally everything) and i have been toughing it out w/o knowing for a while now

what it comes down to for me is, once you have a tried and true recipe, you wont need it (i have a few tried and true recipes)

but, now if i experiment w/ coco and have problems i may just have to go find some drops (that was kinda my plan but the meter just says "6.5")

anyway, the key is "tried and true"

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I only grow bagweed strains so I guess I'm safe from the perils of PH folly.

Living right on the MMJ edge I tell you!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think what Tom was saying is that just because someone has done a few grows in their place and had no big problems, that isnt a reason to go around telling everyone else that they dont need to bother about pH

if so i must say i agree with him, but perhaps i'm just seeing his statement through the prism of my own opinion :D

VG

Tom Hill

Veteran
Oh come on guys,

I was just poking fun as the standard answer in here use to be to add wc, lime, and throw the meter away. That one always got under my skin. It seems now there is a more knowledgeable crowd hanging around and thanks for that. Shelving the meter for a while after being certain of tolerable range is a much better answer for sure.

Still, tolerable pH range usually does not equal optimum range and in time, this can add up to problematic was my point.

What works at any given site B (my site, your site, pedros), will definitely not work at all given site C's. Therefore, any type of blanket advice (except "meters are our friends") usually falls short of the mark imo. -T

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
EDIT- deleted b/c Tom's post above is entirely reasonable. And because I don't like making enemies by arguing over DIRT.

Peace-

Dig

Tom Hill

Veteran
The size of the grow has nothing at all to do with it. It's time that I am talking about. Time becomes the enemy when things are not maintained at optimum levels.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
EDIT- deleted b/c Tom's post above is entirely reasonable. And because I don't like making enemies by arguing over DIRT.

Peace-

Dig
Gotta' love the Dig............always a balanced approach. A bit more graceful than most of us..myself included.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Oh come on guys,

I was just poking fun as the standard answer in here use to be to add wc, lime, and throw the meter away. That one always got under my skin. It seems now there is a more knowledgeable crowd hanging around and thanks for that. Shelving the meter for a while after being certain of tolerable range is a much better answer for sure.

Still, tolerable pH range usually does not equal optimum range and in time, this can add up to problematic was my point.

What works at any given site B (my site, your site, pedros), will definitely not work at all given site C's. Therefore, any type of blanket advice (except "meters are our friends") usually falls short of the mark imo. -T

This is true. You can take 3 growers,give them all the same stuff to work with,give them all a room in the same building,keep them separated from each other,and give them the same strain,but in the end each product will be a bit different. Mostly the same qualities,but different.
Also,.......generally the guy asking why his ph is wacked is missing EWC and dolomite,so that's the common answer he gets.

Cool Moe

Veteran
i made an organic soil mix and the pH seems to run a little too high (over 7), for my soil mix still in the barrel what's the best thing to add to bring pH down into the mid 6 range?

Cool Moe

Veteran
yeah it's only been cooking for about two weeks, should my pH be correct right after mixing or does it come down some over time with cooking?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i made an organic soil mix and the pH seems to run a little too high (over 7), for my soil mix still in the barrel what's the best thing to add to bring pH down into the mid 6 range?

if you added lime to the mix then i would have thought that was pretty normal. imo the best thing to add to bring it down would be water at around pH 6 when you water your plants - then the pH will swing slowly back up to 7 ish over a few hours and your plants will be able to absorb most nutrients at their optimum pH.

VG.

Latest posts

Latest posts