What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Tea Party with The Rev.

C

CT Guy

Quick question
i tried to make a "fungal mash" to get my tea in the fungal direction
i mixed a bit of organic red wheat flour and some wormcastings, wet them, and let it sit for a few days, when i checked on it there was a white "webbing" 1/4=1/2" above the mix, was this fungal or mold???
thanks

It's mold. Just mix it back into the pile.

big_daddy

Fish Bone Meal Vs. High (P) Guanos

Fish Bone Meal Vs. High (P) Guanos

I was wondering if fish bone meal would be a good substitute for high phosphorus bat guano in a flowering tea. The fish bone meal I have available is 5-16-0, while the guano is 0-15-1.

Is one or the other more or less soluble in solution? My local organic farm store has these amendments in bulk and for a great price, so I'm trying to figure the best course for my flowering regimen.

On a side note......I am a mushroom picker and have had a great year with chanterelles. I found a partial bucket of the last ones picked that I regrettably hadn't processed, and they are coated with fuzz........does anyone think they would make for a good additive to a tea? Thanks to all here for your depth of knowledge in the microbial world, and your help.

big_daddy

C

CT Guy

big_daddy,

I'd say 'no" to the fuzz, that's most likely just mold and not beneficial to your tea. Haven't tried fish meal, maybe someone else can comment to its solubility.

Metatron

Just found this thread the other day. Its answered a lot of questions I've had lately. Thank everyone for the great info! Is anyone going to post pics of brewing some tea? I'm ready to set up shop soon and will post some pics when available.

grapeman

Veteran
So I know "un-sulfured" Blackstrap Molasses is the preferred molasses. Hard to find without ordering on the internet. So I've been using just "Grandma's" Molasses for my teas.

Is there a big difference between the "Blackstrap" and the regular kind? Also, the bit of sulfer, from what I read above will kill the beneficials. Is that also true? There is not that much sulfer in the product but I just wanted to ask since elemental sulfer is everywhere on earth.

Frozenguy

Veteran
Anyone here mix their teas after its brewed?

There always seems to be a some sediment/something ont he bottom, should I mix it all up before putting in the watering can?

C

CT Guy

If you're using a watering can for application, that's perfectly acceptable. You will get good biology in the sediment if the tea is made properly.

Frozenguy

Veteran
If you're using a watering can for application, that's perfectly acceptable. You will get good biology in the sediment if the tea is made properly.

So should it be mixed up before transfering it to the watering can for watering? Because I brew in a bucket, and dont mix it up, dunk a cup in the liquid and fill up the can. but I notice there is a buildup/sediment of sorts on the bottom.

C

CT Guy

So should it be mixed up before transfering it to the watering can for watering? Because I brew in a bucket, and dont mix it up, dunk a cup in the liquid and fill up the can. but I notice there is a buildup/sediment of sorts on the bottom.

You could stir it a bit to get the sediment back up for when you transfer it to the watering can. You don't want to leave it sitting without aeration very long anyway.

C

CT Guy

Just wanted to clarify that my comments in this thread are by no means an endorsement of the original poster's recipes or instructions, as I have not tested any of these recipes myself.

Just read through it again really quickly and have to say I disagree on the agitation comment. I have yet to see agitation (from air bubbles) that has damaged microbial activity, short of shooting it out of the container in which you're brewing.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe he misspoke and means agitation by pumping?

got any cool fungal tea recipes?

C

CT Guy

maybe he misspoke and means agitation by pumping?

got any cool fungal tea recipes?

I believe teas should be balanced, meaning they contain high levels of bacteria/archea, fungi, and protozoa (flagellates, amoeba, some ciliates). By having all the organisms present and in good diversity, you're putting the plant in charge of what it wants based on the exudates it puts out.

Sure, some ingredients will be more efficiently consumed by bacteria or fungi, but by using a balanced food source or using a few different ingredients, you can make a tea that has all the organisms you want.

Good fungal ingredients:
alfalfa meal
fish hydrolysate
unsulfured molasses
kelp
humic acid

I think some people get caught up in the fact that some plants prefer fungally dominant soil and some prefer bacterial dominant soil. That is true with soils, but I believe with teas you want all the organisms, working together and cycling nutrients.

All that being said, I've never seen a tea with good fungi that didn't contain sufficient bacteria. Getting a bacterial tea is easy, it's the fungi that take a bit more work....

Most important part of the recipe, after a good brewer design, is using high quality compost.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
funny, sometimes when it seems to get complicated it's because i branched out and bought into some extra step

then, you clear things up for me again

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, no doubt - i think my approach will be more of just seeing to it that some fungal balance is available

i dont have all the amendments on hand to follow this precise recipe - or, i probably would. believe me, i am still learning.

like CTguy said or jaykush would tell you as well though - the plant tells the soil what it wants and, when you have a good balance, the soil responds

they would probably say it more technically and accurately - but that understanding works for me - lol

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol - i looked through my stufz and thought about the fungal dominant thing - turns out it's all basically already there

i didn't add humic acid - but lots of compost goes into my stufz

and, i have no fish hydrolysate

funny, i get excited to try something new - only to find it's basically there (well, mostly)