What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Tea Party with The Rev.

Yeah, i came upon the same realization.
using great soil is so much less hassle, almost too much.
i like some trouble, call me crazy.
im just bored now that my plants are healthy.

my veggies are coming along nicely man!!
they are under a few cfls in my kitchen.
awaiting to placed outside!!
currently i got
3 types of tomatoes.
jalepeno, hungarian wax, cayanee peppers
4 types of herbs, parsley, cilantro, chives, oregano
also got melon's and watermelons.

any tips on germinated the melon seeds?
everytime i try i get mold on the seed.
only 2 out of 10 germed. maybe its my seed source?
i just always have trouble with those.

lol, i feel like i hyjacked an old thread!!
sorry to the original poster if your still around!!!

hey xmobotx: ever use guano?
my friend keeps boasting about it, i have several kinds on stock.
i bought a shitton of organic amendments just because.
he says he gets great results top dressing organic soil at 1tbsp per flowering plant
after two weeks.
mind you his soil isent near as complete as mine.
was wondering if it would be a good idea to give them a high p boost?
i want to just use tea's.
i know alot of the organic guru's dont use guano.
any input? thanks

has anyone tried the bountea system - great alaskan humus
not really into shipping the product from alaska but down in socal i haven't sourced any good compost
he has a fungi brew
a bloom brew
and a mineral brew
i've been using them with great results
adding a little other food here and there when needed

The Rev's "True Living Organics" series of articles in Skunk magazine back in '07 is what first got me into brewing my own aerated teas years ago.
Until I found this site a few months ago the Rev's articles were the only info I had read on compost teas and Cannabis. I have even saved most of the Skunk issues from '07 just to keep his "True Living Organics" articles around.

Its a good thing I found this site though as there is just so many knowledgeable people here with similar interests, like growing the highest quality Organically grown Cannabis possible.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
but down in socal i haven't sourced any good compost
organiclover

Argowin Earthworm Castings (out of Encinitas, California) has some of the best earthworm castings on the West Coast. Their products are widely distributed throughout So-So Cal - in particular South Orange County as well as North San Diego County (obviously).

Before I got my worm bins up and running to a viable level, I used to have several bags shipped up to Oregon because of their quality. I found the castings to be very consistent and showed that they have the harvesting process down.

I have bought and have/do use the Alaska Humus product (Denali Gold) - it's good. Not too expensive ($24.00 for 1 c.f. from the Soil Food Web folks in Corvallis, Oregon).

Good product with limited production resulting in high(er) prices than other humus products, IMHO.

CC

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol, i feel like i hyjacked an old thread!!
sorry to the original poster if your still around!!!

hey xmobotx: ever use guano?
my friend keeps boasting about it, i have several kinds on stock.
i bought a shitton of organic amendments just because.
he says he gets great results top dressing organic soil at 1tbsp per flowering plant
after two weeks.
mind you his soil isent near as complete as mine.
was wondering if it would be a good idea to give them a high p boost?
i want to just use tea's.
i know alot of the organic guru's dont use guano.
any input? thanks

i think w/ the organic gurus its not so much "dont use guano" as, "may use whatever source" - i find that guano is a good amendment and a good source for N or P (and sometimes both depends on the bat's diet)

there's been a lot of hype and i do use guano - but i just consider it another alternative for diversity

diversity is real important to me

some folks top-dress w/ hi-P guano in flower - which has been my approach but these gurus have me re-thinking the veg mix/flower mix

The Rev's "True Living Organics" series of articles in Skunk magazine back in '07 is what first got me into brewing my own aerated teas years ago.
Until I found this site a few months ago the Rev's articles were the only info I had read on compost teas and Cannabis. I have even saved most of the Skunk issues from '07 just to keep his "True Living Organics" articles around.

Its a good thing I found this site though as there is just so many knowledgeable people here with similar interests, like growing the highest quality Organically grown Cannabis possible.

The Rev sounds like my kind of gardener - i wonder if he is also the drummer for avenged sevenfold?

lol

MrFista

Veteran
I never follow trends in what nutes people use as I live in a place that doesn't have all the products used in these forums.

But last year I was gifted some high P guano. I don't know what exactly this stuff does to enhance flowering but I can say it is an excellent flowering nute for cannabis.

Outstanding, in fact.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
MrFista

I don't know what you're paying for 'P' guano but if you're interested I'll send you a PM for a source that runs about $1.00 per lb. (0-18-0) - but it's only available in 50 lb. bags. It's sourced from the Philippines if that matters.

Even with S&H it might be an option for you. FOB is Portland, Oregon

HTH

CC

thanks CC
i will check out that product soon

I do like the minerals that john evans sells at bountea
im sure you could just custom blend minerals to get the same results but I am just getting into the compost teas
I put the minerals in the last couple hours of brewing per instructions and im seeing amazing results
one local shop here is doing side by side tests with chemical nutes and they claim to be getting comparable or better results with the bountea system

thought i would throw it out there
peace

C

CT Guy

Did you guys see that Bountea hooked up with Humboldt. Are these the same guys that produce all the overpriced Humboldt nutes?

i didn't see that
i've used some humbolt nutes in the past and they worked well but you are right - they are very expensive

i'm gonna work on dialing in these minerals he uses and make a custom blend
I know CC has a mineral mix dialed in

CC - do you use any minerals in your teas or just in your soil?????

C

CT Guy

The minerals should be present if you have a good soil mix and shouldn't need to be added in a tea form.

personally im just glad to be in same thread as cc, and ct guy.
you guys are walking talking breathing knowledge of organics.
thanks for all your links!!!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
The minerals should be present if you have a good soil mix and shouldn't need to be added in a tea form.
That's my read as well.

A good diverse mineral presence is an important component of the soil food web as it's generally understood.

My opinion is that the more base ingredients that you can source and mix together (but still apply the same amount as instructed) that it will provide you with a better soil than using a single source of mineral/rock dust.

Just an opinion.

CC

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
organiclover

Argowin Earthworm Castings (out of Encinitas, California) has some of the best earthworm castings on the West Coast. Their products are widely distributed throughout So-So Cal - in particular South Orange County as well as North San Diego County (obviously).

Before I got my worm bins up and running to a viable level, I used to have several bags shipped up to Oregon because of their quality. I found the castings to be very consistent and showed that they have the harvesting process down.

I have bought and have/do use the Alaska Humus product (Denali Gold) - it's good. Not too expensive ($24.00 for 1 c.f. from the Soil Food Web folks in Corvallis, Oregon).

Good product with limited production resulting in high(er) prices than other humus products, IMHO.

CC

OK , very nice CC ...see Agrowinn Worm Castings are retailed up here
in north central Cal & at a place just minutes away ....nice

Another fellow has been in the vermiculture biz for a quite some time is Bill Vierra over here @ Vierra's Worm farm , he has made up a new Liquid Castings selling now, am sure is the real deal .
http://vierraswormfarm.com/

smog

yep. but nowadays most will say not to brew nutrients or guano's and to add them after its brewed and bubble it for a bit to extract what you want so you dont breed bad stuff, why not cook the nutes in a tea then let it cool to extract more from your product i cant find info on cooking yet, i used to pasteurize horse manure and pored it on out door plants in native soil they were so healthy the first round leafs was the size of my hand, none of the shaded out leaves turned yellow or died

Buddle

Veteran
^^^ I've got a compost pile that does the same results..No brown leaves anywhere..problem is flushing at the end of the grow.

Jnugg

Veteran
Wow,stoked to see this thread still alive after all these years and I hope it's helped some of ya'll.

surfguitar

^^^ I've got a compost pile that does the same results..No brown leaves anywhere..problem is flushing at the end of the grow.

Plants only need to be flushed due to the very high phosphates in commercial nutrients. You don't even need to flush with chem nutes if you realize this and lower your phosphate with custom nutrients.

Plants in living organic soil will just naturally reach senescence and yellow off at the end of there life from what I've seen, no flushing necessary.