What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

organic natural hippie or chemical pumping freak?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Lol , i would be all gone ..

Not drinking alcohol, so would make me wicked n sick ..

Works like poison, atleast in my body !
virgin mary are acceptable too or sometimes a beer instead of vodka..as long as there is horseradish,lea and perrins,hot sauce ,celery salt,tomato juice ,pepper and lemon optional...I go through gallons of tomato juice...atleast 2 minimum usually 3...been adding fresh soft coriander seed lately ...yeehaw

iBogart

Veteran
I regularly apply benny tea to my hydro rez. It is as the organic nuts like to say, "teaming with microbes.":laughing:

Is that all you use for nutes in your hydro setup? I've used compost tea in my dwc bubble buckets with poor results compared to chemical nutes. It seemed like not enough nitrogen along with micro nutrient deficiencies is what I experienced.

Ollie

Veteran
virgin mary are acceptable too or sometimes a beer instead of vodka..as long as there is horseradish,lea and perrins,hot sauce ,celery salt,tomato juice ,pepper and lemon optional...I go through gallons of tomato juice...atleast 2 minimum usually 3...been adding fresh soft coriander seed lately ...yeehaw
Lol ehe, even a beer or two will let get me wrecked .. Not for my system ehe :dance013:

Get it going, big up

br26

Both? Why one or the other?

Hydro is like a hot rod once u get em growing, fucking mad.

Outdoors, grabbin pigeon shit from the underside of bridges for spring/summer fertilizer. Always strange ppl to talk to and new grafitti to see.

Don't limit urself to being a freak or a hippie!

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Both? Why one or the other?

Hydro is like a hot rod once u get em growing, fucking mad.

Outdoors, grabbin pigeon shit from the underside of bridges for spring/summer fertilizer. Always strange ppl to talk to and new grafitti to see.

Don't limit urself to being a freak or a hippie!
^perfect!

TACOE

Grown organic when I was living in north country. Didn't make sense to do it another way. I lived surrounded by nature. Everything I needed was available and in great quality.. much of what I needed I could harvest. Back in the tristate.. Shit is not nearly as easy to find and twice the price (no exaggeration). Also. no more home on two acres.. now 1 BR apt in town.. also.. twice the price (no exaggeration).
Chems seem more sensible in this situation.. So I will be diving into that. Not thrilled but I don't see any other way for my sitch :(.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A friend do gave me some sssdh the other day, I smelt the baggie and asked him if it was soil grown, he said yes, surprised that I could identify the signs.

Put simply, almost all soil grown weed is not flushed as well as (properly grown, flushed) hydro weed and I can detect it, despite what the hippies will tell you.

If soil growing gave all the advantages that we were told, how come such a large percentage of cup winners are grown in Hydro/coco.?

Outdoors is a bit different, the plant has a veg cycle of months not days, and yield is rarely critical like indoors and for most, shooting for a lower quality than indoors, the anchorage and health benefits of planting in the ground may swing many towards soil. Personally I used dustbin sized pots with straight coco and grew properly flushed weed that, on a good season, was better than indoors.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
sorry but you haven't met the right soil grower then

grew hydro forever, transitioned through all types of hydro/organic all the way through to LOS water only and my plants fade by harvest every time

I will agree there is an art to growing smoke and bottles make control real real easy BUT they are not superior. I can replicate everything hydro offers but speed but I can't get hydro to replicate the bouquet of over and undertones that certain organics brings out.

I can get sharper and stronger single tones in hydro, but compared to natural baselines they now taste artificial to me, if it isn't because of some new bottled additive like botanicare sweet.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
sorry but you haven't met the right soil grower then

grew hydro forever, transitioned through all types of hydro/organic all the way through to LOS water only and my plants fade by harvest every time

I will agree there is an art to growing smoke and bottles make control real real easy BUT they are not superior. I can replicate everything hydro offers but speed but I can't get hydro to replicate the bouquet of over and undertones that certain organics brings out.

I can get sharper and stronger single tones in hydro, but compared to natural baselines they now taste artificial to me, if it isn't because of some new bottled additive like botanicare sweet.

Really fascinating answer, much I agree with and parts I am unconvinced by I would be happy to be further educated.

I am being a bit naughty, I have already met the right soil grower, on here, Dr Pentothal, his stuff is perfect, apart from and despite appearing to have been trimmed by a drunk blind man with Parkinsons. He too gets plants that smoke cleanly, using properly prepared soil and no addtional fertiliser.

The concept that Hydro can give "sharper and stronger single tones" is very interesting, I have never heard this before but it is quite possibly true. Hydro can produce weed with strong weed smell* and be "every bit as good or better" than soil grown, but to a true connoisseur is it really loud and shouty ?

However, if you put the detailed effort into Hydro that you have now with soil, add in all the benificials you get in soil etc. I think that you could get very close. The thread here on Terroir got close to this, looking at the Wine world, how important seemingly small differences in Geology can make massive difference between areas. Burgundy being the best example.

* grown properly, not stuffed with the latest Turbo Leopard Jizz Candyblast or grown with a Nutrient known to give a certain taste like Atami.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my soil grown is as good or better than any hydro...matter of fact usually better.......my game is tight..cant match mother nature in some reguards.. my soil grown is more complex tastes and smells than hydro.... I have grown hydro many times ,many systems...I go for quality over quantity.. if I wanted more quantity I would go hydro...I have grown same strain hydro and soil many times....yeehaw

Why chemicals? do you smoke chemical-grown bud in your headstash? I'm just curious. You guys know on the average, synthetic-grown buds are more harmful to your health right??? The chemicals combust and chemically react to form who-knows-what..... But i guess the whole world is kinda like that. fuck it, right?

Your descendants will wish they could smear poo in your face when they realize you contributed to the shitty state of the future environment. sorry kids. we were lazy/greedy

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Why chemicals? do you smoke chemical-grown bud in your headstash? I'm just curious. You guys know on the average, synthetic-grown buds are more harmful to your health right??? The chemicals combust and chemically react to form who-knows-what..... But i guess the whole world is kinda like that. fuck it, right?
Oh yeah! Another self made myth maker!
:laughing:

yeah i think this is a bit of a myth myself sorry..
i flush really really good and i recon it gets all the crap out...
i even cut the plant at the bottom and put stem in a bucket of water for a few days.. extra flush.. and this is after a 2 week min flush..
and i have to say mine tastes better than mates than have grown the exact same cuts organic..

but love everyones oppinion.. and good to see this thread has taken off.. you guys should rate it up top..

thanks guys..

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran

Why "chemicals" ?

Because if, and it is a big big if, you do grow organically right, the biological chain with all those micro organisms, bacteria, enzymes, worms etc eventually shit out something that the plant can actually use, the plant has exactly the same nutrients that Mr Canna sells me in a bottle. I can precisely control the levels of this in coco, and then flush it cleaner than any soil grower can. Apart from a few very good growers who have the time, space and expertise to make very lightly fertilised soil that pretty much runs out of everything just at the right time.

B

Baked Alaskan

I've posted how I grow in a few different threads, but here I go again.
I use homemade earthboxes. In the top four inches or so I mix compost with my base soil (mostly promix) so I have the benefits of organic living soil. Then I dig two fertilizer trenches and put about 1/4 cup of dry organic granular fert. And use only plain water in the reservoir.
The benefits are; no nutrient deficiencies, no pests (didn't believe it till I tried it), less work, no guessing what the plant needs for food (letting the roots feed at the trenches works great), less water and fertilizer.
I would love it if someone would try an earthbox here. I've been growing for 15 years before trying earthboxes and was blown away.

Latest posts

Latest posts