What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

organic natural hippie or chemical pumping freak?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Lol , i would be all gone ..

Not drinking alcohol, so would make me wicked n sick ..

Works like poison, at least in my body !

No, it stops you from feeling sick. That's the point of a Bloody Mary.

Since when did being total organic become a requirement for hippiedom? Or are dirty f**king hippies an exception?

Did both techniques. It really depends what you have at your disposal. Budget, location, legal climate, security, retail gardening center, sustainable techniques. From what I remember of pumping salts, I dumped the rez many times a run, r/o water....which dumps idk how many gallons to get your one useful gallon. But in the end its an easy clean up depending on your medium and you could set up in a day a tear down in a day, where as an organic grower is going to need legal stability or isolation to be somewhere long enough to develop effective soil dynamics, and then in the end where does the x amount of soil go? I m pretty sure a lab could find out if recycled ganga roots are in the mix considering that Leo will weigh a whole pot soaking wet n all before charging....
At the end of the day if I'm growing salty bud....Im smoking some ital herb.

Did both techniques. It really depends what you have at your disposal. Budget, location, legal climate, security, retail gardening center, sustainable techniques. From what I remember of pumping salts, I dumped the rez many times a run, r/o water....which dumps idk how many gallons to get your one useful gallon. But in the end its an easy clean up depending on your medium and you could set up in a day a tear down in a day, where as an organic grower is going to need legal stability or isolation to be somewhere long enough to develop effective soil dynamics, and then in the end where does the x amount of soil go? I m pretty sure a lab could find out if recycled ganga roots are in the mix considering that Leo will weigh a whole pot soaking wet n all before charging....
At the end of the day if I'm growing salty bud....Im smoking some ital herb.

nice thanks for the input.. and i agree it is easier to clean up/setup and pull down. and damn bastards weighing wet soil and charging for it.. good to hear from someone thats done both but which one are you currently going with?

sprinkl

Veteran
The new wave of soil science is here. The experts now say that by growing organic you create a living soil that contains microbes that will help a plant fight off insect and disease attacks. Chemical fertilizers destroy beneficial microbial life. The relationships that exist between a plant's roots and microbial life are fascinating. A happy organic soil has lots of trace minerals that make for happy microbes. Organic is the way my friend.:)

They are also finding that it is the same for human intestines. Eating natural food is good for your microbiology, the bacteria protect us against all kinds of disease, from mental to physical to cancer etc, they even regulate how we feel through producing serotonin. Things we eat actually keep our little microherd happy, so they can feed and protect us properly. The blind intestine which was always thought to be useless has been discovered to be a safe haven for our bacteria so if they get wiped out(an alcohol binge is a sure way to get rid off a lot of them, maybe why heavy drinkers are prone to colon cancer) they can repopulate.
After 100 years or more of industrial food we are finally figuring out that most of the modern diseases we battle(with more industrial chems/pharms) are due to our food intake.
Most of the food we eat is processed, stripped from nutrients, blasted with pesticides, preservatives... All things that our gut bacteria don't like. Preservatives are designed to stop bacteria growth! It's like sterilizing organic soil. Kids have all kinds of allergies and problems because they grow up in sterile environments and eat sterilizing food. Kids should eat at least a bucket of sand and some dog poop to get their immune system going.

Chemical growing has been causing problems since it was invented. We didn't need pesticides before this. Plants could fend for themselves. And yeah, every now and then there was a huge plague that wrecked crops. That shit still happens, even with the chems.
Now we've got to GMO our crops supposedly to keep up with the shitstorm we got ourselves into.
It's all a big fraud to make money of food production. Food which isn't as healthy because it's less nutrient dense, and loaded with pesticides, not to mention the processing that happens to it.
Food has become our poison while it should keep us healthy.

Ollie

Veteran
Yo sprinkle, big up n true ..

Thats why we gotta keep it organic, wholefood and as raw as possible.

HHI states that roughly 95-97 % of cancer is due pollution, food intake and bad lifestyle and only 3-5 % of all cancer deaseses is in human genes.

Hippocrates also has a VERY high succes rate in diabetes conversion, with proper food, training and mental wellbeing.

But with all the mixed opinions and more and more people, its hard to convert in the bigger picture.

Ollie

Veteran
If we can get all the Worlds people to stop eating animals and life of a organic plant based diet, without refined sugars, e numbers etc.

Things would look different in just one generation, but with the World as its going and the current $$ rules all, it aint gonna happen.

But each person to his own, im for sure not going to try and convince people to stop ..

I respect peoples opinions and choices, like so they do with my choices.

Big up n peace

I've done both and prefer organics.

My yields went UP, not down. Taste improved over my well-flushed chem buds. Buds were more colorful and denser.

Not really attributing organics to all of that. But my plants were HEALTHIER under an organic regimen and thrived. I've not had a single issue with pests since going organic. No issues with PM, mold, anything. All were things I needed to be wary of and watch out for with chemicals.

Healthier plants produce better. Can you have healthy plants with chems? Sure. Is it easier with organics, absolutely.

I've done both and prefer organics.

My yields went UP, not down. Taste improved over my well-flushed chem buds. Buds were more colorful and denser.

Not really attributing organics to all of that. But my plants were HEALTHIER under an organic regimen and thrived. I've not had a single issue with pests since going organic. No issues with PM, mold, anything. All were things I needed to be wary of and watch out for with chemicals.

Healthier plants produce better. Can you have healthy plants with chems? Sure. Is it easier with organics, absolutely.

hmm very interesting there sir.. i like a comparison from both.. and am very intrigued by your pluses from the organic growing such as no pests and better taste..looks like orgainc is winning this one so far.. thanks mate.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i dont think there is a winner really - each medium has its advantages and people hone in on what works for them. its more what you like to geek on i think. i like r/dwc , its simple , it fits my flower room. i like organics , i like the living soil food web theory - feed the soil not the plants , it fits my geek too. soon ill drop some orgaqnics in the flower room and taste the differences myself - time will tell
but its all the same thing - growing flowers

i dont think there is a winner really - each medium has its advantages and people hone in on what works for them. its more what you like to geek on i think. i like r/dwc , its simple , it fits my flower room. i like organics , i like the living soil food web theory - feed the soil not the plants , it fits my geek too. soon ill drop some orgaqnics in the flower room and taste the differences myself - time will tell
but its all the same thing - growing flowers

yeah sweet will be good to see how these organics make the final product taste. and your right it is what people decide to go with then you learn to do the best with what your usuing..

I'll actually be busting out the chems for a run here soon... first time in probably 10 years. Got a couple gallons of H&G I wanna use up. I'll be sure to post back my updated thoughts and feelings regarding.

I DO want a hydro set-up as well for a project. Doubt I'd ever swap my entire grow out though. Organic for personal consumption.

I'll actually be busting out the chems for a run here soon... first time in probably 10 years. Got a couple gallons of H&G I wanna use up. I'll be sure to post back my updated thoughts and feelings regarding.

I DO want a hydro set-up as well for a project. Doubt I'd ever swap my entire grow out though. Organic for personal consumption.

awesome sounds good man.. keep us updated on the chem grow.. and H&G are an amazing brand so think it'll go very well

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Sometimes...when one adapts the "best practices" from all growing disciplines, it is NOT about adding a "little of this" and a "dab of that"--cuz it is "cheaper"....rather one adapts it because it is "better".

Not saying "organic" is better...just saying each growing discipline (organic, synthetic, chems, ROLS, vegan, biodynamics, etc) has a "best practice" that--depending on one's ability and resources--can be "more superior" than all others.

Ahhh....now we split hairs, what is "more superior" for you--just might be "less superior" for me; remember, each cultivator possesses a different skill set and possibly different objectives--and very few of us are on the same exact spot of a given path (yes....same destination--but some of us are on an entirely different path). Your goals may (or may not) be the same as my goals....and vice a versa.

So what is wrong with adopting the "best practices" from all disciplines?...It certainly works in other parts of my life (business, health, diet, psychology, etc). Seldom immersing myself or blindly following a particular practice/philosophy/life-style...without question or challenging the authority has worked for me. IMHO, nothing is "absolute"--black or white, as there are infinite shades of gray--but only one shade of "pure" black or white.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
overall i prefer organics

the basic reason being that proper, proactive use or organics yields optimal results with the least reliance on pesticides, fungicides or any other unnatural toxin that are required for out of balance systems.

proper proactive use of organics does not mean one particular organic method but creating a balanced ecosystem for the plant that keep those plagues from establishing a foot hold in the first place.

organics itself has different aspects of application but the real evolution is using organics in a sustainable manner, minimizing footprint while achieving maximum returns.

The other aspects of the debate become preferential and thus really have no weight in the decision until you have tried like results from various systems and come to a preferential conclusion.

iBogart

Veteran
Organic vs chemicals, what matters most to the plant is what it can uptake. It has no idea about microbes breaking down solids to simpler compounds the plant can use. It just wants those compounds. So the decision to use either method should rest on your method of growing being hydro or soil. In hydro you have a sterile environment. There isn't a subsurface microbial war going on in the plants root zone. It's best to keep it as sterile as possible and feed it just the chemicals it needs to thrive being careful not to overfeed. I always use a little less than the amount states on the nutes.

In soil you want to arm the root zone with aerobic bacteria to help break down solids and fend off fungus and other harmful bacteria. Makes sense to go organic. In addition to a healthy compost worked in to the top soil, I feed all my plants with compost tea. A bat guano/worm casting/compost bag soaked in a 5 gallon bucket, 2 ounces of molasses to feed the beneficial bacteria and aerate for 2 days before straining through cheesecloth into another 5 gallon bucket to get rid of any solids. I put the tea in a sprayer and saturate the leaves and soil. You can feed the plants everyday and they won't burn, but once a week is all you need.

Growing organic has nothing to do with hippies. I hate that association. Besides, hippies are good people.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Organic vs chemicals, what matters most to the plant is what it can uptake. It has no idea about microbes breaking down solids to simpler compounds the plant can use. It just wants those compounds. So the decision to use either method should rest on your method of growing being hydro or soil. In hydro you have a sterile environment. There isn't a subsurface microbial war going on in the plants root zone. It's best to keep it as sterile as possible
I regularly apply benny tea to my hydro rez. It is as the organic nuts like to say, "teaming with microbes.":laughing: